Thread: Flying wild alaska

Cool Flying wild alaska

Guess I've watched all the "Flying Wild Alaska" segments that I care to. I can tell you now that I would hesitate to fly with a single engine pilot who uses flaps when landing in a 30-knot crosswind! And I get nervous watching a pilot relaxing his control of the yoke simply because the wheels are on the ground. I hope the boss doesn't let his other pilots fly his C-180.

Good points, Grizzly1. I think the show is targeted to the general audience though, and only few people (i.e. experienced pilots like yourself) can noticed these details. If you watch closely they often don't even have the same aircraft in different camera angles. In one scene they showed a 207 taking off with little wheels, but then on landing where they only showed wheels (top view) supposedly of the same 207, but the wheels were actually way bigger. I think they were wheels and gear of a C-180 actually. So, I'd give pilots a little more credit and blame this sort of errors on producers.
    Have you seen the other show - Alaska Bush Flying (or something like this) where they showed 3 episodes. I thought that show was much much worse. First of all, they'd make a big drama/life-death kind of situation out of every flight that they showed. One CAP cadet got lost flying from Birchwood to Big Lake! As you well know it's only about 12 miles between them, and the lake is really BIG, so it's kind of hard to miss. Secondly they mixed up airplanes like there was no tomorrow. E.g, taking off in a turbine Otter, but landing in a Beaver of similar colors (that was the glacier episode) and so on. I think that was a pretty lame show overall.

Come on guys, it's a reality TV show. This is another name for Soap Opera. Let's face it, if they only showed the real life flight operations it would be so boring nobody would watch it. The producers want viewers so they can sell soap. The more viewers the more money they make. Guess what? They got you to watch it! Next your going to tell me that Professional Wrestling is fake!

Quote Originally Posted by tralika View Post
    Come on guys, it's a reality TV show. This is another name for Soap Opera. Let's face it, if they only showed the real life flight operations it would be so boring nobody would watch it. The producers want viewers so they can sell soap. The more viewers the more money they make. Guess what? They got you to watch it! Next your going to tell me that Professional Wrestling is fake!

WHAT!!! WRESTLING IS A FAKE????? Oh, mygawd - - - - - what's next ..................................

Quote Originally Posted by tralika View Post
    They got you to watch it!
    I watch it because it's about flying and about Alaska! The scenery is beautiful and the planes are buzzing around. What more could I ask for? It surely beats watching the fake Professional Wresting. I also might be taking a job with them, so it's nice to learn that they are building a hangar in Bethel. I just laugh at the discrepancies realizing that it's a TV show.

Editing adds yet another "reality" to these shows. On the Gold Rush program they interviewed the old gold miner down stream( a friend of mine) and what he said and what was shown on the program was entirely changed by the editing. He was so upset that he actually wrote a letter to man that has the patent on the "gold rush" property to explain what was said versus what was shown via the editing. Watch any of these shows with a large amount of skepticism.

That show hasn't made it to our TV screens yet but we get plenty of other American 'reality' TV shows, so I know what you mean about the soap factor.

Thats obviously not really how you pilots up there conduct yourselves - wild or not. If you did act like soap stars, then I wouldn't want to fly there.

They do condense a lot of stuff to increase the drama. I enjoy the program because I've worked with at least half of these guys and gals over the years so it's fun to see my buds on tv. But some of their editing and swapping planes and engine sounds misses the mark. Still enjoy seeing my favorite places.

The episode I found interesting was that the COO of Era flew to Fairbanks, picked up Himo Korth and flew him and his wife Edna to his cabin in ANWR. Himo use to use Yukon Air when Rodger Dowdy was alive and owned it.
    JOHN

Due to the negativity and name calling this thread is now closed!
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!