Thread: Shellfish farms in whittier or homer area

Post Shellfish farms in whittier or homer area

Anyone know of any shellfish (oyster or scallop) farms in the vicinity of Whittier or homer that can be visited? Perhaps willing to sell directly to the consumer? If so, how do you go about contacting them? Thanks!

there are a couple farms here in k-bay that sell off the floats, usually helps to give a call first.
    moss island oyster farm in peterson will usually take the time to tell you all about farming and answer your questions, i take folks over there once in a while for a "shopping tour"
    northern lights oyster farm in jakolof sells off the floats if you catch him when he (or his crew) are there.
    oysters at the farmers market on saturdays, or at the shellfish growers co-op building on the spit.
    as far as i know there are no commercially viable scallop farms up here, though i know some folks have experimented with them.
    i have those numbers somewhere, pm if you want more info.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I think there is an oyster farm on the far/east side of Perry Island out of Whittier. Word is that when you get in the area call them on the radio and I think they will meet you in the bay to deliver the oysters. At least that's what I've heard.

This summer we visited with the folks at the Perry Island farm. Due to problems the prior year they had nothing to sell, and may not have anything this year either.

Hy Im the Oysterman and Caretaker here at southbay Perry Island im open and here year-round I love to have visitors stop bie at any time to buy Oysters or to just B.S. If interested in hearing more drop me a line at Royalewave1@yahoo.com Thanx Raymond

The e-mail address is Royalwave1@yahoo.com Thanx.... Raymond

Raymond - I sent you and email to the address above and never heard back - you may want to check your spam setting.

remeber Raymond, don't let just anyone sign that guestbook, they gotta be worthy Alaskans

I am not WORTHY.....Well heck FB - guess I am out then...didja have a good definition of worthy? Maybe something other than what Wayne's World defines?

I am pretty full of BS and selfrightousness is that good enough or do I need some other BS qualities to become worthy? Come to think of it I am pretty full of BS also. One thing that I don't have is a solid believe that everything "alaskan" is truly better/stronger/tougher than everything from the lower 48. I am an immigrant to the Alaska Territory - thought I should clarify that. I am, however; "different" or "special" enough to want to stay here for some years.

In my years of visiting this Territory I always had this thought in the back of my mind that the folks who live up here have to have a little bit something - shall we say - 'different' about them - somethign odd, precarious or something perhaps just not normally "lower 48 ish" about them. Now I be one of them...

Raymond - I look forward to stopping by this summer sometime. I did get your email response.

randy

Thanks Raymond - I got the email - Look forward to meeting you this summer and will give a call.

Has anyone talked to Ray recently? I am heading that way this weekend (weather permitting) and want to pick up some oysters from him.

I did leave a VM and an Email......

I also e-mailed with no response....
    BK

I recently overheard a conversation with Raymond [royalwave] on VHF and he told the person inquiring they are out of oysters until "late fall". I was bummed to hear this informtion and expect my boat will be in storage by then.

Bummer - i was really hoping to stop by, chat, see the operation, and get some fresh oysters with friends that are visiting......

So - where are those silvers????

We were looking forward to making the stop as well.
    He [royalwave] did get hailed when we were there two weeks ago. It took persistence to get a response but eventually he did respond.

Silvers were well scattered two weeks ago.
    Got ours outside the mouth of Main Bay below Culross Passage.
    We did spot-n-stalk [sonar] and tolled over a half dozen. Our boat picked up two and another got two then we had to go look for more.
    Not real familiar with PWS Silvers ~ like where they're going etc...
    Reading the forums they've been moving in closer now though. Should be getting better every day now.

We leave for Seward tomorrow for silvers, halibut, and ling. Taking a newer military member out since he's deploying the rest of the summer. Hope to check off his salmon square and hoping for some "eater" halibut. We've only caught very small chickens...
    Only ling we've caught was inside Res Bay while trolling AND a week before open season.

We will head to Whittier in two weeks for shrimp and hope to make the long haul to Montague for some decent halibut. The p-cod have been hard for us to get through in PWS. Luckily we've kept some really clean bigger ones and they are really tasty.

What channel do you hail him on? Whenever I try to get someone on 16 somebody is always a hollerin at me - and mostly I am just trying to tell someone to goto a diff channel.....

The weather is looking like it may lay down for saturday - but I won't be setting pots early for sure...my lil rubber dinghy doesn't go fast in 6 footers.

They were hailing him on 16 and like you said...changed to another channel.
    When I say the individual was persistant he called for royalwave less than a half-dozen times but it was over the course of an hour.

Looks like we might get lucky with wx in both PWS and outside Res Bay ~ Hopeful!