Thread: What cartridge for a T/C Encore pistol?

Default What cartridge for a T/C Encore pistol?

Because of an eye problem that negates rifle shooting anymore (growl), I have gone to a T/C Encore pistol that will have one of the 15" barrels. I am pondering what cartridge to choose for all-around use. I know that there is a multitude of barrels I can have to use, but I want one for general all-around use. I have settled on several, .460 S&W to shoot 454 Casull in, 338 Federal or possibly 480 Ruger. As a lesser possibility, 7mm-08 or .308 might do. Thought about 44 mag, but have a Redhawk already and wanted something with more ballistic potential from a long barreled pistol. I know there are some who don't care for a single shot, but I'm fine with that. Any opinions or preferences out there? Thanks in advance.

Based on 25 years with a contender, I settled on .284 diameter bullets for deer and such to 200 +/- yards and .358 bore for larger stuff. In the encore that would mean the 7-08 for sure and probably a 358 Winnie or 375 JDJ. But if I was going to have only one to "do it all" it would be the JDJ.

Hey MB, sorry to hear about the rifle restriction. I'm assuming that "one cartridge for all around use" means hunting big game up here in AK, right? If so, I'll defer to BB's recommendation of the 375JDJ, based upon his experience with the cartridge (I've not used it. but have heard good things about it). I'll toss another suggestion your way...get a bunch of barrels. I have a 12" barrel in .223 for my Encore. It's fun to shoot, handloading for it has been easy (mostly to reduce the muzzle flash!), and the 12" barrel configuration fits real nice in my snow machine bag. Just one barrel for an Encore? That sounds too much like the "If you only had one gun" scenario.

Oh, I plan to have a few more barrels as time goes on. but I wanted to decide on my "go-to" barrel for deer, moose and black bear. If you took the moose out of the mix, which would not happen, then a sub-30 cal would do.

Tough to beat the 7m-08 in an Encore. Muzzle blast is a little excessive and recoil will be "brisk" but manageable. The 120 grain bullets will be your friend for deer and the 140s for bigger stuff.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Deer/moose/black bear I would go the 460S&W because you get a 3-n-1 45 Colt, 454, 460. They would all gain speed from an Encore barrel rather than loose like a rifle round and .452 is a game getter. I might also think about 45-70 but I like the ability to shoot 3 rounds you get from 460. 460/45-70 is about all the recoil I would want from a handgun (and I donít mind recoil) and they will do all you want inside the ranges you will be able to aim them in field conditions. When you get ready to do open country longer range game, boo/sheep and so on what I would want 7mm08 barrel. Predator and small game I bet 223 would be the catís meow though Iíve not tried it.

What is the eye issue that lets you shoot a handgun but not a rifle? If itís your shooting eye has gone bad maybe you could switch to shooting from the other side.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    [FONT=Calibri]What is the eye issue that lets you shoot a handgun but not a rifle? If itís your shooting eye has gone bad maybe you could switch to shooting from the other side.
    I'll let mauserboy speak for himself, but I know three guys now who've had retinas detached by heavy recoil. It appears to be a sincere concern with aging, even shooting calibers that weren't an issue when younger. I'll tell you for sure that since I hit the 60 mark the prsopect of retina detachment has really changed which guns I'm shooting most and how often I light off any of my boomers.

Old, who's old? Now, what the heck were we talking about?
    My wife says, hee, hee, that I shouldn't go off in the trees alone. I might forget what I'm doing and wander off. With that attitude, I just might. No, she's a good gal, always helps dress the game out. Thinking strongly of the 460 S&W barrel for the Encore and shoot Casull in it. Can't find a new or used 454 barrel.

I have one in 7-30 Waters. Have a 2.5 X 8 Leupold on it and it is a pleasure to shoot. Very accurate and easy to manage recoil.

I love my .308 barrel on the Encore. It's amazing how efficient it is in a 15" barrel. If you're a handloader, look no farther than WW 748 for the powder. Not does it produce best velocities, it meters wonderfully in a powder measure. Accuracy in my barrel is right at MOA for three shots. I run 165 grain Nosler Partitions and get a bit over 2500 fps. I took a large caribou bull with it in 2003 out at Cape Newenham and the shot was at ~300 yards. I have a 5x Nikon scope on the rig and I have total confidence with it.

If you buy your ammo, the Federal premium line is very, very good stuff. The 180 grain partitions also run right at MOA out of my barrel and you gotta like that. Recoil is stout out of the .308, but not brutally so. Recoil will always be a factor in any 4.5Lb to 5lb pistol that is sufficiently powerful for the type of hunting you'll do.

I see where someone else already mentioned the JDJ cartridges and for wildcats out of the Encore they'd be really hard to beat. I have
    been thinking about getting a 6.5 JDJ for deer. Based on the .225 Winchester case, it'll flip a 120 grainer out there at 2400 fps and the recoil is moderate.

Good Luck!

Gus

Shoot straight and hit 'em hard!

35 Win or JDJ should cover the whole spectrum of bullet weights from 110 through 300 and give plenty flat trajectory and down range punch for hunting just about anything in AK.

Well, I've settled on the 15" 460 S&W barrel for several reasons. One is that I don't shoot long distances, so the 454 Casull I'll shoot out of it will be fine. The Casull within it's range is a hard-hitting game cartridge. I've had several. I can also shoot 460 S&W if I get the thing ported. That's one cartridge I wouldn't shoot out of an unported T/C. I like shooting large bore and guess I'll stick to it. Thank you all for your input. Thanks AD

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    I can also shoot 460 S&W if I get the thing ported. That's one cartridge I wouldn't shoot out of an unported T/C. Thanks AD
    Welcome. You may want to try some 460 before you port it, you might be surprised. I'll be your test dummy so you can see how bad I cry first if you want . . . I'm kinad touched that way.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I went for the 375JDJ for reasons stated.

Thumbs up

Right choice on the 460 S&W. 10 to some 20 years ago in a 'Contender' Handgun ---- hands down, I'd have said the .375 JDJones based on necking down a .444 Marlin. Tho' an excellent choice for all-arounder hand cannon and most certainly a good recommendation... I do not see it as a great choice in an 'Encore.'

Today, I see little reason when going with the 'Encore':
    A.) 'Encore' model stretches things out in terms of cartridge selection (both rifle and pistol)... No real need for wild-catting and the stuff exclusive to re-loaders.
    B.) Handgun cartridge I'd stick with is .460 S&W (yes - this get's you into moderate ranges with velocity and energy as well as .454 puts you good at closer ranges) saw where you made this choice & a good one at that
    C.) Rifle cartridges is where it's at with Encore...
    1.) Short action all-arounder I'd go .308 up to .338 Federal (.358 based on .308WIN might be too much recoil to be much fun)
    2.) Long action perfection may be found in .270 WIN & .30-06
    3.) Efficient and available WSM choices even ol' .350 Rem Mag might be considered, but I'd expect same recoil issues as .358 WIN only more-so.

The nice thing about the encore is you don't have to use wildcats to get it to work to it's potential as you do w/ the contender. The downside is it's a heavy bulkier gun.

Lot's of good choices for chamberings, and I think the .308 is hard to beat when you look at how well it performs in a 15" barrel, accuracy, component choice and shootability. You should have little problem driving 165's 2600 fps, which is enough bullet for most big game, and flat enough trajectory for extended ranges.

Good input guys. I don't see me ending up with just one barrel as time goes on. I think a .223 and maybe a 6.5 sumpthin' or other might get there too. Thanks

Warren, this is Ken. I hunted with Contenders in Montana for several years. My favorite was the old 30-30, but using handloads. Hornady and Spear both make a "single shot bullet" in 125-130 gr. Those bullets are designed to expand properly at the reduced velocities from pistol barrels. As you know, the contenders are inherently accurate. I could pretty consistently put 3 shots on a dime using bipods on a bench at 100 yds with that 15 inch barrel. Every deer was a very clean one shot kill. I love that gun, it is in Montana with my son, or I would let you shoot it. However, I do have quite a number of other barrels, both Contender and Encore--give me a call and you can try them all. For Alaska I have a .35 Whelen Ackley Improved. It is a pretty big boomer. I have a 30.06 barrel for the Encore, also. I like the versatility of that cartridge. Anyway, give me a call 317-4693 after 3:30 pm. Ken
    Last edited by fishnngrinn; 02-15-2011 at 11:16. Reason: spelling error
    NRA Lifetime Member