Thread: Archery range on kodiak?

Default Archery range on kodiak?

Just wondering if there are any archery ranges on kodiak? I know they don't have any real archery shops. My wife and I like to shoot year round. Just want to see if i am going to be shooting in the living room.

There is an Archery range out by the Monashka Bay KISA (Kdk Isle Sportsmens Assoc) Rifle range north of town,

Not a Bow guy, so not sure what you need, but they have a sign up for a dedicated Archery area that has a bunch of target backgrounds out in the woods, looks like the real deal but maybe not used much ??
    Looks like you could go out there and set up what ever you need to be similar to a hunting situation. Lots of area in the woods there to work with.

Definitely better than your living room tho, might need to be a member of KISA to use it, $65 or so per yr for the rifle range, but the archery area is not fenced or gated/locked, might be a freebie
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

BYOT (Bring your own target) range. When I was there in 2008 there wasn't any targets or target butts. The place looked deserted. There isn't any indoor range and If you like to shoot outside I would suggest buying some judo points. Unless things have changed since 2008 it looks like the living room is your best option.

Olin

Thanks for the help. Well now i know I need to get an indoor shooting league going in the winter.

There is an outdoor range with targets by the Comsta. It is on CG property and managed by a few coasties I think. The key is available at Milpol.

once i get up there i am going to talk to the coast guard and see if they will sponsor an indoor shooting league. I shoot at Fort Belvior down in DC now. They have an awesome range, I am going to use all of their documentation to try to get it pushed through the command.

Stickslinger, I do know this about the CG folks here, they are way into taking care of their people and seem to "get it," the need for recreation, quite well.
    Also that there are a fair number of Archery guys I know in the CG, probably quick to appreciate your efforts at an indoor range here.

Hope you pull it off, but I'll bet it will be met with lots of "yeah, go for it" response.

Man, those Coasties have got it happening with the Gym, movie theatre, Auto Body shop,
    Fish/Game Processing area with Commercial Vacumn Packer, etc.
    So, Indoor Archery Range, yeah, that's right down their alley
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I hope i can make it happen. It would be great to have a tuesday/thursday night shooting league. Then have them buy some genesis bows and have shooting for the kids on saturday morning.

Excuse me, but Kodiak is 99.99% Archery Range.

You just need to take a target.

Sorry, but it needed to be stated! LOL

Taylor

I am aware that you can shoot anywhere outdoors. I was more thinking about getting the kids involved in archery and not playing video games every saturday morning. If they are standing out in the rain the rain and not having fun then that is what they are going to remember about archery.

Quote Originally Posted by stickslinger View Post
    I am aware that you can shoot anywhere outdoors. I was more thinking about getting the kids involved in archery and not playing video games every saturday morning. If they are standing out in the rain the rain and not having fun then that is what they are going to remember about archery.
    Stickslinger, press on man, you are right, completely, on the Rain on Kodiak
    I'm dreaming of the day they hoist up some shooting bench covers on the outdoor rifle ranges in town.

Some kind of hard weather, whether it's Rain, Snow, or Wind, "Oh, the wind," is happening almost constantly here
    would be Real nice to have something indoors, almost essential

Google: National Archery in the Schools Program. If not in place in Kodiak, then it needs to be. This would be a start.

Hoping for the best for your kids and the rest of Kodiak, as well as the adult archers who need a place to shoot.

I'm sure that the inability to shoot indoors when you want to or need to is frustrating.

Taylor

I know the CG has the outdoor range near the Commsta but not sure on availabilty and or the target situation out there. The thought of having to go to milpol before you shoot and after to get the key has always kept me from using this range.

I've also heard of an indoor range in the basement of the barracks on base. Military police would be your POC for the confirmation of its existence. I would be interested in getting kids involved in shooting if we could drum up the interest and resources.

I'll have to check about the indoor range in the barracks basement. Before I retired in 2008, the Chief I know who ran that area had started setting it up, but I don't know how far it got. With my transition,other hunting endeavors, and shoulder surgery, I stopped shooting for a little over a year. I'll be in it again this summer as I drew a Fort Rich either sex archery moose for this winter.

It may take me a few days or more to get back with you as I don't see him every day, and I'll be bouncing around a bit this week.

Be aware that you'll have to take the state's Archery cert class if you want to hunt any of the archery only hunts. It's a good class with both a classroom session and a practical shooting course, but it's not held very often. Check with John Crye down at the Fish & Game office to get the date of the next class. It'll be good to get the class out of the way before you become a resident 12 months after arriving.

I've seen vehicles parked at the outdoor range that KodiakRain mentioned. When I've seen them on my way to the rifle range, I've always wondered if they are shooting bow or maybe out for some paintball or other fun. They are normally a younger looking crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Google: National Archery in the Schools Program. If not in place in Kodiak, then it needs to be. This would be a start.

Hoping for the best for your kids and the rest of Kodiak, as well as the adult archers who need a place to shoot.

I'm sure that the inability to shoot indoors when you want to or need to is frustrating.

Taylor
    NASP just came to Kodiak last weekend for the fist time. St. Mary's school applied for the grant and received 12 new Genesis bows, a curtain and 5 targets. They taught 12 instructors including my self, John Crye and a few high school folks and some various other teachers how to use the kit in schools. The shop teacher and bow building class teacher (Eric) was there and is looking into getting another kit for the high school. The first kit is "Kodiak's" and any school can use it but a a little cumbersome to drag around.

I have not heard of any range except the 3D outdoor one on USCG property up by buskin lake. I would like to find out if there an indoor range on Base.

Steve/ cgswimmer25 might know more, he shoots bows and twigged a Saltery bison with a bow last fall.

I would be interested in a league if we can get one started. As an instructor for NASP I can get genesis bows at cost and am going to get 2 for my kids to start learning on.

Also the proposal that the road system for deer( either sex) is open to weapons restricted to 18 and under from nov 15-dec 31passed. Kids need an archery certification but even more of a reason to get a range going and get some kids out chasing some deer here locally!

So what's the deal with CG grounds and facilities for civilian use? I may be moving to Kodiak this fall and am trying to gather info on what is available. Certainly it's more than I have here in DLG, and a 3D course sounds fantastic.

Well, no indoor range on the base. That didn't happen. The guy who was trying to make that happened recommended you call a guy over at the CG Ant team who is working on setting up a 3D course. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name he gave me.....I don't know the guy. However, once you get here, you should have no problem getting in touch with him if you call over to the Ant team.