Thread: What is your 223 recipe?

Default What is your 223 recipe?

I've been trying a lot of different loads for my AR-15. I have a good recipe with 23.5 grns of TAC with 55 grn Nos Balistic Tips and 55 grn Hdy VMax mollys. 21.5 grns of Reloader 10x does about the same. These are really good in my gun for 100 yrds. I'd like to find a better recipe that will let me reach out and touch something at longer distances. The things I have going against me are it's a 16 inch crome lined barrel and it's a 1/9 twist. Haven't had any good load with 62 or 68 grain bullets. Haven't tried 52 grain bullets yet. I am going to try BLC-(2) next.

I have always used 21.5gr IMR 4198 and whatever 55gr bullet I have on hand. I use that in a Rem 700V with 24" barrel and 1/12 twist. Many of the HP 52gr bullets work even better in mine.

Depending on what I am going to be doing, here are the main loads that I use in my AR's:
    55 FMJ, 26.3 grs W748 Plinking ammo
    55 V-Max, 26.5 grs Varget
    62 TSX, 25.2 grs Varget
    69 Sierra BTHP, 25.5 grs Varget

I shoot a 40 gr. Nosler BT loaded with 23.0 gr of IMR 4198. Use caution this is a maxium load. Shot a red fox a while back that was facing me. Had a small hole going in and no exit hole. Fox did not move.

55 gr. V-Max 24.5 AA2230. Meters well in a progressive.

Awesome! Thanks for the input. Going to have to buy some supplies and give a few of these a whirl.

What twist and length of barrels to you have?

I'm getting some nice results with the 53gr Barnes TSX over H335. Haven't quite finished settling on the COAL, but it's shot under an inch so far out of my M77 Ruger 1:12. You should have no problem with stability with your 1:9. I did find that the groups were terrible down in the light powder charge, but as I approached the max, things really started to come together. Interestingly, I'm not jumping the bullet far (like normally needed for Barnes). I've gotten my groups with a jump of 36, and I've got some loaded with a jump of 16 to see what happens. Just need a range day to test. I'm hoping this TSX will be good for everything Sitka blacktail and smaller. Read a lot of good reports on deer, and I think it'll also provide reasonable entry and exit holes of fur bearers to keep pelt damage down.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    I'm getting some nice results with the 53gr Barnes TSX over H335. Haven't quite finished settling on the COAL, but it's shot under an inch so far out of my M77 Ruger 1:12. You should have no problem with stability with your 1:9. I did find that the groups were terrible down in the light powder charge, but as I approached the max, things really started to come together. Interestingly, I'm not jumping the bullet far (like normally needed for Barnes). I've gotten my groups with a jump of 36, and I've got some loaded with a jump of 16 to see what happens. Just need a range day to test. I'm hoping this TSX will be good for everything Sitka blacktail and smaller. Read a lot of good reports on deer, and I think it'll also provide reasonable entry and exit holes of fur bearers to keep pelt damage down.
    Yes Sir,
    those TSX Barnes carry their energy well and that is what I load in my bigger guns. 30-06 and 375 Ruger. That's a good idea I should give those a whirl. I've heard a lot of good things about the H335 as well.

Thank you,

I use H-335 in the .223, 26gr of w/ 50's and 25gr w/ 55's. They've shot well out of two ar-15's, a 16" 1-9 and a 20" 1-8, as well as bolt actions w/ 1-14 twist. With the 50 gr v-max if I do my part 100 yd groups are 1/2" for 5 shots, both with the bolt guns and the predator persuit AR. Even the bulk varmint bullets will group 1" or better for 5 shots at 100 yds. I still haven't found the right powder charge or seating depth to get the 53 tsx to shoot as accurately as the cup/core bullets, but 3 shot groups are under 1", so good enough for deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I use H-335 in the .223, 26gr of w/ 50's and 25gr w/ 55's. They've shot well out of two ar-15's, a 16" 1-9 and a 20" 1-8, as well as bolt actions w/ 1-14 twist. With the 50 gr v-max if I do my part 100 yd groups are 1/2" for 5 shots, both with the bolt guns and the predator persuit AR. Even the bulk varmint bullets will group 1" or better for 5 shots at 100 yds. I still haven't found the right powder charge or seating depth to get the 53 tsx to shoot as accurately as the cup/core bullets, but 3 shot groups are under 1", so good enough for deer.
    Thanks Paul,
    I've also had a seating issue with some 53 grn FMJs I tried loading. If I remember right I had to seat them in a little farther and also put a slight crimp on it. It seemed to tighten them up a little. It liked 23.5 grns of TAC with them which I think is a half grn under the suggested min load. I never played with them any after that. Is a 50 grn bullet about as small as you'd go with a 1-9 twist? I went all the way up to a 68 grain HDY match but it didn't seem to like that round no matter what powder I gave it. Same with a 62 grn speer.

I've shot the 35gr v-max out of the 1-9 twist, no other reason than I had some, it was neither fish nor foul. If I was looking for stretching out the range, I'd say the 50gr hornady v-max is a good starting point, if your gun shoots, it will shoot that bullet well.

That said, you just might find that your chrome lined barrel just isn't going to shoot under 1 moa. As I recall with my armalite M4 I tried a variety of 50-60gr bullets, soft points, hollow points, polymer tipped, match and fmj. While I don't recall a combo that would shoot much worse than 1 1/2 moa, I don't recall having much luck shooting under 1 moa. I'd say for your appication, get a 500ct box of the midsouth varmint nightmares in 50 and 55 gr, and see what your rifle prefers. They're cheap, and should shoot as well or better than more expensive bullets. That and a 8# keg of H-335 and you're set

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I've shot the 35gr v-max out of the 1-9 twist, no other reason than I had some, it was neither fish nor foul. If I was looking for stretching out the range, I'd say the 50gr hornady v-max is a good starting point, if your gun shoots, it will shoot that bullet well.

That said, you just might find that your chrome lined barrel just isn't going to shoot under 1 moa. As I recall with my armalite M4 I tried a variety of 50-60gr bullets, soft points, hollow points, polymer tipped, match and fmj. While I don't recall a combo that would shoot much worse than 1 1/2 moa, I don't recall having much luck shooting under 1 moa. I'd say for your appication, get a 500ct box of the midsouth varmint nightmares in 50 and 55 gr, and see what your rifle prefers. They're cheap, and should shoot as well or better than more expensive bullets. That and a 8# keg of H-335 and you're set
    It does really well at 100 yrds. Under 1 moa anyways. just want to do even better out to 2 and 300. "Varmit nightmares" I like it. Thanks for you input. H335 is going to be first on the list.