Thread: Trolling for Kings in Homer.........?

Default Trolling for Kings in Homer.........?

We are planning a trip to Homer at the end of May.
    Hoping to do some trolling for Kings, tryed last year and was not set up well, but didnt see a lot of action on other boats in the area either.

This year I will have some downriggers, so I hope that makes it easier............

Any advice would be appreciated, is the end of May a Ok time of year?

Do I just look for bait fish?

Thanks................
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

AKGramps-
    May should be a good month for king trolling in KBay and Cook Inlet in general. You'll have those kings returning to spawn and the feeder kings that are always in the area.

Coho Dave and I did some trolling along the Anchor River shore area this past summer with some success. (And I caught a 30 lb. beauty on shore fishing the river in June.) Make sure you read the regs when trolling anywhere near the river mouths.

For feeders, you're right, look for birds working the surface and troll through them or around them with your bait between 35-45 feet down.

Pogi Point and 4th of July Creek area (between Pt. Pogibshi and Seldovia (unmarked on the chart, but the only clear creek entry on the shoreline) are great areas to fish when you can beat your way out there. The south side of Pogi is a natural giant saltwater eddie that seems to hold a ton of bait and the various species of salmon congregate there. I generally try to stay in 70-120 feet of wait, again trolling between 35-45 feet down.

What kind of sounder/fishfinder do you have?

Pogi Point will be Handy as we have a cabin rented on Mac Donald Spit. I am using a Garmin 400C, pretty basic, seems to work ok? Although I do wonder what I am really seeing on the screen at times........
    TR

If you can crank up the gain on your Garmin you should be able to see bait balls as you trolling. Swing around back over them and/or troll along their edges for results.

We used to have a cabin in Kasitsna Bay. We sold it 10 years ago or so and bought my parents place in Little Tutka.

Yeah, the end of May is a great time for kings because as Cliffhanger said there are both feeders and spawners in the area.

Last year I was out on May 29th and got one that was in the 20 to 25 lb. range off the Bluffs.

Then June 1st and 2nd I got my three clients two 25 pounders, a 15 pounder and then a few feeders in the 3 to 7 lb. range up in the Whiskey Gulch area above Anchor Point.

It's about the best time to be fishing for kings around here.

You might want to consider launching out of Anchor Point with the tractor launch because once they launch you you only have to go about 2 miles to where the fish are hanging out. It costs about $60 to launch, but it's better than making a 30 mile run up from Homer.

And Jim, don't you have better things to be doing than going online, unless you're doing this from a laptop on the beach?

Aloha, fishing dude.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Very Nice Place, is that your full time res? I would have hard time leaving...........
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Very Nice Place, is that your full time res? I would have hard time leaving...........
    Full time residence. It's the best! Especially when you can go out and catch kings 365 days a year if the weather is cooperating.

The Cottage in Little Tutka is our second home on KBay. We have a condo in Homer where my wife Ruth works as a nurse and I work as a ...???

Aloha back! Coho Dave. We'll be home to the Frozen North on Weds.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Yeah, the end of May is a great time for kings because as Cliffhanger said there are both feeders and spawners in the area.

Last year I was out on May 29th and got one that was in the 20 to 25 lb. range off the Bluffs.

Then June 1st and 2nd I got my three clients two 25 pounders, a 15 pounder and then a few feeders in the 3 to 7 lb. range up in the Whiskey Gulch area above Anchor Point.

It's about the best time to be fishing for kings around here.

You might want to consider launching out of Anchor Point with the tractor launch because once they launch you you only have to go about 2 miles to where the fish are hanging out. It costs about $60 to launch, but it's better than making a 30 mile run up from Homer.

And Jim, don't you have better things to be doing than going online, unless you're doing this from a laptop on the beach?

Aloha, fishing dude.
    I have consdiered launching at AP as I have heard the fishing can be very good and generally close in.
    I just dont want to deal with launching every day and the frenzy is not very relaxking, also would still need a place to stay at night, so have concentrated my efforts on the southern end.

We have used the State cabin in Tutka, stayed in Seldovia and this year on Mac Donald, for us and our boat (riverboat) it works, its laid back, I stay away from all the activity at the Homer harbor and sometimes we even catch a fish or two.........................!
    My boat has its limitations, we have gone to the Flat Islands and have had ok results, we also go maybe 15-20 miles out, to the edge of the inlet so to speak.
    TR

Gramps-
    What kind of boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Gramps-
    What kind of boat?
    20 foot aluminum, made by Siverstreak in Anchorage, similar to a Wooldridge. windshield forward, self bailing bow (for what ever thats worth, in the ocean). It has high sides and a decent v in the front but relatively flat in the back. OB powered with a prop for the salt.
    Better yet heres a pic.

The boat can probably handle bigger water than I am comfortable with, went thru a pretty active rip coming back from the Flats last year..............more excitement than I am interested in anymore.....next time I will duck back to Port Grahmm and wait a while............!
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    20 foot aluminum, made by Siverstreak in Anchorage, similar to a Wooldridge. windshield forward, self bailing bow (for what ever thats worth, in the ocean). It has high sides and a decent v in the front but relatively flat in the back. OB powered with a prop for the salt.
    Better yet heres a pic.

The boat can probably handle bigger water than I am comfortable with, went thru a pretty active rip coming back from the Flats last year..............more excitement than I am interested in anymore.....next time I will duck back to Port Grahmm and wait a while............!
    I wouldn't hesitate to take that out past Flat Is. on a good day. Could be rough if the weather blows in, but just uncomfortable. The best way to avoid that rip coming around Pogi is just to swing about a half mile out around it and start about half way between Dangerous Cape and Pogi.

The nice thing about launching out of AP is that you hop in your boat on dry land and they just deposit you in the water. Then it's only about 2 miles to where the fish are. Sure beats a 30 mile run up from the Homer Harbor. If I know I have a really good water day I'll run up from the harbor, but even a 2 foot swell/chop is going to make life miserable for you either on they way there or back. I went up there one day in almost dead flat water and by the time I came home there were 6 ft. breakers breaking off of AP that took me about an hour to go about a mile or two. It was miserable. All I could think about was how I could have had my boat on my trailer and driving back to Homer when I was fighting head on 6 ft. seas. It REALLY sucked. Just watch the weather and base your decision on what the conditions look like. It's not a bad run if the water is relatively flat.

Let's go fishing Thurs. fishin' dude!

Hey Gramps and others. Just thought I would promote a local ladies product for catching kings. Don't know if it makes a difference as I have caught 'em on everything but for some reason the locals and my clients LOVE these things. I love them too, as a matter of fact I sent some to the Fishing Dude of Skookum Charters to try hopefully he has some success. Called King Katchers, basically a handmade bucktail fly. Green flasher with green fly, or red flasher and black fly seem to work well. Strip of herring fillet adds to the magic. Just another trinket to try!

http://www.kingkatcher.com/King_Katcher/Home.html
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Hey Gramps and others. Just thought I would promote a local ladies product for catching kings. Don't know if it makes a difference as I have caught 'em on everything but for some reason the locals and my clients LOVE these things. I love them too, as a matter of fact I sent some to the Fishing Dude of Skookum Charters to try hopefully he has some success. Called King Katchers, basically a handmade bucktail fly. Green flasher with green fly, or red flasher and black fly seem to work well. Strip of herring fillet adds to the magic. Just another trinket to try!

http://www.kingkatcher.com/King_Katcher/Home.html
    Uhhhh.....yeah, Fishing Dude, I'm all about going out and trying them with you. Thursday? We'll put one of those down on one side and my favorite "squid" on the other side and see how "scientific" we can get about it!

**** YOU GOOTCH! Now everybody can get their hands on my new Secret Weapon!

(I'm with you Thursday Coho...)

**** YOU GOOTCH! Now everybody can get their hands on my new Secret Weapon!

(I'm with you Thursday Coho...)
    It's a date!

Cool Bromance?

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    It's a date!
    All those hippiechicks to choose from and you two are going out to bump uglies (I mean squid)?
    You may as well stay in your zip together sleeping bags come derby day cause it's all over but the cryin

Geeezz, a little off subject, but entertaining.........

Now that you guys have told me its possible to catch Kings in the Tutka-seldovia area, Maybe not you can clue me in on techinque and set up?
    I know this could get windy, but as mentioned before I am novice...........
    So I have figured out there is a diffrence between "dodgers" & "flashers", does it really matter?
    Geezz, not sure what I may have started, I know everyone has their particular setup, and not looking for any "trade secrets".

How about some do's & dont's? Basic stuff, like how far from the downrigger? Lenght of leader from the dodger or flasher? Artifical plugs, herring, flies?
    I am sure all of the above will work depending on conditions..........Thanks & here we go.............!
    TR

CohoDave and I are strictly platonic fish-fanatics.

;-{)

Now, back to thread!

Here's how I generally troll for kings. Start with a 40 inch (ish) leader and add your bait/lure. I like a treble hook (extra strong 0/3 at the Gear Shed) for bait herring. 50 lb leader material and crimp the hook on, then crimp a small loop on the bitter end.

Attach with clips to (pick a color / I like green) Pro Troll w/ eChip flasher. Trail your gear over the side and watch the action on your bail/lure. Should be a slow roll, especially when dragging herring, to imitate injured fish.

Part of the way you achieve this slow roll is how close you attach your downrigger ball to your main line. Shorter makes for faster roll. Longer for slower. I generally attached my clip between 15-20 feet for trolling kings.

I think you'll always get best results with troll herring. I think I'm using green label lately in the 5-7 inch size. But Dave and I also use various colored squid hoochies, Pro Troll plugs, and anything else we have on board when we're struggling for results.

When they're around, feeder kings are usually very aggressive and keeping your second rig in the water while you (try to) fight the fish you have on can get a quick second hookup. That said, if you or the folks onboard are inexperienced in maneuvering the boat to keep your fish off the second rig in the water, throw the engine in neutral, get that second rig up and clear of the water, then do what you need to do to wrangle that fish to the boat and successfully net it!

Hope this helps.

CohoDave and I are strictly platonic fish-fanatics.

;-{)
    You know I love you Jim!