Thread: circle hooks for salmon

Default circle hooks for salmon

Anybody out there have any opinion on using circle hooks for salmon? Whether its fishing eggs in a river or live bait in the salt, just wondering if anybody else has used them. I have had good experience mooching silvers with Gamakatsu octopus.

Interested in how you rig them... care to post a pic?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Circle hooks for salmon?

Sounds like a terrible idea to me, but you say you have had good luck though. That's the last thing I would use personally, but I would also be interested in this if it works. I guess on the bright side if you get them on, the're on and not getting off. How much success have you had with this and what species?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

It'd probably be ok for salmon in salt but in the rivers it would seem like a bad idea as salmon aren't eating then
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default circle

I've used circle hooks with a float and eggs in a river and the results were terrible. Thought it be a good way to hook and release silvers but it wasn't.
    Haven't tried it in the salt but they may work better there.

I catch big (for South East) Kings on our halibut gear all the time. (Once we hit a 40" ocean run steelie this way too). Late in a halibut fishing day when we're out of bait and have resorted to the frozen herring, there are days when it's tough to keep the big Kings from biting. I've surprised more than one client when their "halibut" started jumping and dancing behind the boat... "hey, it's a silver colored halibut!"

The sub-28" fish don't usually take a big mouthful like we use back-trolling, but if we're limited on Kings, it sure makes the release easy!

I agree it's probably much more practical in the ocean when they're eating... I haven't seen too many fish snagged while slashing at a circle hook.

-Case

Default circle hooks

i have had wonderful success with circle hooks in both salt and fresh water, as long as you were using them with bait. i wouldn't think it would work well using it with a lure, but the thing i really liked about them was i never missed a hit, they like halibut hooks, worked by self setting. Also one thing i really liked about them was at least 95% of my hook ups were in the side of the mouth, which with j hooks i have caught quite a few fish with the hook down their gullet, which me being a softy, i couldn't throw it back knowing i had ripped its gills just trying to get it to the boat or shore. and that would sometimes mean the end of the day for me on the river bank. i would recommend you buying a pack of the circle octopus and giving them a try.

Default circle hooks

i have had wonderful success with circle hooks in both salt and fresh water, as long as you were using them with bait. i wouldn't think it would work well using it with a lure, but the thing i really liked about them was i never missed a hit, they like halibut hooks, worked by self setting. Also one thing i really liked about them was at least 95% of my hook ups were in the side of the mouth, which with j hooks i have caught quite a few fish with the hook down their gullet, which me being a softy, i couldn't throw it back knowing i had ripped its gills just trying to get it to the boat or shore. and that would sometimes mean the end of the day for me on the river bank. i would recommend you buying a pack of the circle octopus and giving them a try.

cool, this is all good stuff. for those who don't approve, like the bait river fisher up there, what exactly was terrible? strike/hook-up ratios? having alot to do with the shape and build of a fishes mouth, i wonder if the salmon are a good candidate for these. I understand buddy, that the salmon are not feeding in the rivers.. to me, avoiding snagging fish is a bonus, and also avoiding other snags to some degree. i even put simple weedguards on my flies sometimes for that reason.
    i would post a pic if I had one. it wasn't very technical, we had live small herring that we castnetted and were hooking them through the snoot like you would most baitfish, just live-lining them. the dead ones were, i guess, hooked pretty much the same way, pretty nondescript. size 2/0-3/0 hooks. let em take it for a second if you could stand it, didn't seen to matter much though. hmm.

I am no expert salmon fisherman by far. But last year we were in the PWS by Cordova. At the time we were targeting halibut, using the typical halibut rigs. My cousin baits up and starts droping his rig down. At about 20 ft he get a hit, and bam Catches a salmon. He then re-baits and drops his rig down 20 ft again, then slowly (I mean slowly) motors back to where he was before as the current drifted him away. Just as he is getting to the spot he was before, BAM he hooks up again. This time he has TWO salmon on. One on each circle hook. I would not have believed it if I hadnt seen it with my own eyes.

So now myself, my father and uncle all use this same technique, halibut rigs down 20 feet, Slowly drifting aka extremly slow trolling, and we hook 11 silver salmon this way, on our last day fishing.

Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks are a lot less agressive than your average circle hook. The point on a 7/0 gamakatsu octapus is only a 1/4 inch curled.

here is a link to a gamatatsu octopus circle

http://www.castawaylakes.com/images/...circlehook.jpg

Default circle hooks

I use the Gamakatsu Circles for Sailfish in Mexico. I was just thinking about trying them while trolling for Kings this year.

One thing I noticed is the size of the Octopus Circles is slightly larger than the regular Octopus hooks. Although the point curls in to make the distance from the shank to the point less on the circles than the regular hooks. Will have to experiment with them a little.

If hooking a king on a circle is anything like hooking a sail there would be no hook set just let the drag and the rod do the job for you. Can anyone expand on their experience with this?

I know circles are effective on kings as I have caught around 20 will halibut fishing. Biggest being a 65 smallest being around 10 pounds. Those were all on 16/0 halibut hooks. Usually it has happened while reeling up. I have also caught a bunch of silvers the same way. Of course these kings and silvers were all incidental blessings.

scroll down a little on this page
    http://www.ownerhooks.com/pages/prod...ialtyhooks.htm apparently they're popular in cali. same basic shape as a gamagatchu. yeah dudes, they're gonna keep working good for me.
    and why not for trolling? if you had em on the back of a spoon, they'd hook well (theyre so sticky), if you were rigging herring, maybe just put a circle on the back of the rig with a standard octopus on the front. sounds killer to me. I'll let you know shortly, even though it just snowed like three feet, its already melting..