Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Costa Rica rafting

Default Costa Rica rafting

My wife decided it was to cold so she booked a trip south, and forced me to go rafting and kayaking in Costa Rica. We got spanked, rafting the Toro, with ejections and raft flips, found plenty of thrills and scenery on the Pacuare, and had fun in the jungle on the Sevrege.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default more fun

More Toro fun. We took on 45 class II-IV rapids in about 2 hours, got a few bruises, and left with huge grins painted all iover our faces.

Default Pacuare River

Great whitewater , great scenery.

Default More Pacuare

These were some of the nicest people I have ever met.

Default More Pacuare fun

More fun and good times being alive.

Cool

Very nice. I'm envious.

As I sit here at 40 below... and see you don't need to wear dry suits in Coasta Rica. I am thinking I got in the wrong line somewhere. Thankyou for posting your pictures the rivers will run again soon...

Default Pacuare scenery

An awsome setting to go with the whitewater.

Wow. That could be habit-forming.
    Thanks for posting the photos.

Very cool pics!! makes me jealous.

Looks like a thrilling trip, thanks for sharing the photos.
    Karma is like a rubber band; it can only stretch so far before it comes back and smacks you in the face.

I am so impressed with this thread, with this trip, that I wanted to bump it up to the top. Although our winter od 2011 is basically over, this warm weather, warm water rafting in paradise concept has really got me thinking and planning a trip for early 2012!.
    dsennis

Default 2012

We booked flights for January of next year, and have four more rivers on the hit-list. You will love it.
    Mark

Default Balsa River 2012

Afun class II-III river which was great for the kids, who we took this year. The river was continuous whitewater, much like some of the easier guardrail section of rapids on Willow Creek at a 1000cfs.

Default Balsa River 2012

A few more pics

How did I miss this thread the first time around?
    Thanks, guys, for resurrecting it - just what I need for this time of year.

Thanks for posting the pics Mark. Really looks like a blast!!! Nice to see some "liquid" water at this time of year!
    Karma is like a rubber band; it can only stretch so far before it comes back and smacks you in the face.

Default Renventazon River

Next on our list was the Florida section of the Renventazon, the kids met the age requirement at 12 and up, so away we went. The river, in this section, is rated class III-III+, however, I am not sure if Costa Ricans adjust their ratings when the water is HIGH. On the way to the river I asked the guide " how is the flow," he said "medium high, well high" he then stated. When we got there I heard one guide comment that the water was up more than it was earlier that morning, and I also heard that the Pacuare was closed, and the Renventazon, close by, ... still open.

My kids know what they are looking at, so at the put-in I am trying to encourage my daughter, who is about ready to puke from anxiety, "that we will live," and also told her the guides boat all year so they are usually good.

A huge, steep, hole ridden rapid, roared right in front of us, at app. 7000-10,000 cfs, solid class IV anywhere in Alaska, and after the pep talk we were on our way. It went good as we buzzed through exploding waves and around BIG holes, that make Greg's hole, on Lionshead, look like a golf hole.The first 20 minutes, or so, was hard paddling to manuever the raft aroung holes and rocks, but as usual the guides in Costa Rica are excellent. The river soon mellowed out to straight up class III rapids, and it was just a splash fest without the fear of a kid enduring long swim.

Our guide, Andrea, was on the silver medal world rafting team for Costa Rica, and had a great personality as well as great rafting skills, and our family paddle team had a flawless run.
    Sadly, this one is in the process of being damed up for the sake of moderzination and the needs which come with it.

At higher flows, not recommended for inexperienced kids, or whimpy adults, if they do swim, in the first few rapids, it will be a long one through big turbulent water. It is also not as scenic as the Pacuare. The upper section is class IV+ (V) at higher flows, and you can find a youtube or two on that section. I hope to make it down it before the dam goes in.
    I will post some youtubes "someday" of these trips,and others, I am just lazy with that stuff.
    MO

Default More Renventazon River

Afew more pics

Default And more Renventazon River

A couple more pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast