Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pot Pullers

Default Pot Pullers

OK, guys I'm trying to decide on a new pot puller. I currently have the older ACE and it is time to upgrade to something faster like the Safe-T-Hauler or the Electrodyne. I like the safe-t-hauler for the 3 piece davit, hauler inboard unlike the safe-t-puller we it hangs overboard, foot controller, and it many mounting options. I would like to hear from the safe-t-puller owners to see if the saf-t-hauler would be better since you don't have to try to work the rope into the puller (more time leaning overboard) vs the open block of the hauler. Maybe there is no issue?

I have also been considered an electrodyne with davit but I'm not too crazy about the davit but I hear they pull really well. I would be interested in hearing from others. I have a Kingfisher so let me know what fits the best on them. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rpdeines View Post
    OK, guys I'm trying to decide on a new pot puller. I currently have the older ACE and it is time to upgrade to something faster like the Safe-T-Hauler or the Electrodyne. I like the safe-t-hauler for the 3 piece davit, hauler inboard unlike the safe-t-puller we it hangs overboard, foot controller, and it many mounting options. I would like to hear from the safe-t-puller owners to see if the saf-t-hauler would be better since you don't have to try to work the rope into the puller (more time leaning overboard) vs the open block of the hauler. Maybe there is no issue?

I have also been considered an electrodyne with davit but I'm not too crazy about the davit but I hear they pull really well. I would be interested in hearing from others. I have a Kingfisher so let me know what fits the best on them. Thanks
    Here's one on a 28'? Kingfisher, it is mounted on the removable gunnel mount or a davit could easily be made for your aplication. Please email or call if you would like further info or you welcome to stop by the potbarn and check out my demo model. By the way nothing out there(electric pullers) pulls like a ED
    Steve
    ED gunnel mount on jerrys boat.jpgclaudes ed.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Settimg the line on a hanging puller (Safe-t puller) or through a hanging block and unit (Safe-t Hauler, Electrodyne) is a pretty simple deal. Position of the davit is key IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaM5 View Post
    Settimg the line on a hanging puller (Safe-t puller) or through a hanging block and unit (Safe-t Hauler, Electrodyne) is a pretty simple deal. Position of the davit is key IMO.
    Electra Dyne's are not designed to be used as a hanging block/hauler. I can't understand why anyone would want a hauler out and hanging off the davit???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Electra Dyne's are not designed to be used as a hanging block/hauler. I can't understand why anyone would want a hauler out and hanging off the davit???
    Why not? Have you used one? I do and really like the setup.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

The point I was trying to make was that with either style of puller you still have to reach out and place the line either on a block or a puller hanging at the end of the davit. Both types will get the job done.
    If I had to start over I would most likely go with the Electra Dynes. ( I like beefy stuff) I have the safe-T Puller Light Commercial model and has not skipped a beat in 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Why not? Have you used one? I do and really like the setup.
    I know this is going to open a can of seaworms but here we go anyway!! No i haven't used one and won't no matter what anyone tells me. Guess thats why they make chocolate and vanilla, to each his own. 5000+ lobstahboats can't all be rigged wrong. I think hanging haulers have their place but in my opinion not for the way most folks are shrimping around here.

1. why have to reach out over the boat side to put the rope in the hauler, its easier to throw it in a open sided block
    2. what do you do with the rope when it comes out of the hauler, i'm betting you have to handle it or it will just run overboard into the water, so i'm guessing your pulling the rope into your boat to coil into something??
    3 Pete,I know you snap on your pots but if a person is using a dropper knoted into the mainline how will you clear the knot through the hauler when the hauler is hanging overboard??
    4 i personally just don't like hanging out over the side of my boat and reaching out, being off balance(physically not mentally).

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

being off balance(physically not mentally).[/QUOTE]

Steve , I'm not so sure. Just a little maybe?

We use the Safe T Puller which is mounted on a davit. We chose this style as my husband has a bad back and leaning over the rail to haul the pot in isn't good for him. With the puller mounted on a davit he can pull the pot up high enough to swing it into the boat, over the top of the rail as opposed to bending over to lift it in or drag it over the rail. Like you said, to each his own.
    This is what works for us.

Like so many topics on here, most people like what they have, and few have used both. I have a safe-t puller, and it works great with lots of torque. It has never even occured to me about any risk of leaning over the boat. My davit is set up where it is up, not really out, although I am sure it is something like 6 inches over the side so the rope clears OK. Mine is where I can reach it OK to feed ropes though the block as needed.

The one issue I see with the puller being on the davit is that I have to rope it down when trailering the boat or running in rough seas. The advantage is that it is WAY out of the way when fishing or anytime it is not in use.

The big advantage of the electordyne is that you have local purchase and support through Potbuilder, which I think is a big plus.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

this was one of the cleanest and simplest installs that one of my customers did, plain and out of the way
    ED on Raymonds boat flush mount.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Does he just spit the line over the opposite side? fake it on deck? Or does it dump into a basket? It in a basket you would think it would block access to the door.
    Last question is if the block is not 90 degrees from the hull how well does the line track in the white pully wheel at the top of the ED?does it handle offside pulls very well? (within reason I mean)

On a different note.
    The wife wants to come out soon and get more folding pots and a couple crab pots. How is the stock?
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I know this is going to open a can of seaworms but here we go anyway!! No i haven't used one and won't no matter what anyone tells me. Guess thats why they make chocolate and vanilla, to each his own. 5000+ lobstahboats can't all be rigged wrong. I think hanging haulers have their place but in my opinion not for the way most folks are shrimping around here.

1. why have to reach out over the boat side to put the rope in the hauler, its easier to throw it in a open sided block
    2. what do you do with the rope when it comes out of the hauler, i'm betting you have to handle it or it will just run overboard into the water, so i'm guessing your pulling the rope into your boat to coil into something??
    3 Pete,I know you snap on your pots but if a person is using a dropper knoted into the mainline how will you clear the knot through the hauler when the hauler is hanging overboard??
    4 i personally just don't like hanging out over the side of my boat and reaching out, being off balance(physically not mentally).

You still have to reach over the boat with the hauler/open block setup, right? I admit that it would be easier to just flip my line over the open block, but it really isn't a big deal with my safe-T-puller. I just pull my davit in and put the line over the puller. I never have to lean over the side of the boat.

I can lock my davit into position so that my puller piles the line in the tub if I want. I use 1/4" poly line, so it will occasionally slip in the sheave, but with heavier line it can be hands free.

A buddy of mine runs a very similar setup to mine and his pots are all spliced to the ground line. He runs them through the puller. You really have to be on the ball though. I have actually run one of mine, clip and all through...once. I won't do that again.

I agree that 5000+ lobstah boats cannot be wrong. If the Electra Dyne units could be run as a puller, I would consider them. I would have to retrofit it with the foot activated actuator that the safe-T-puller uses. That sure is nice.

They are a fine unit, but won't work for my application. In fact, my davit will more than likely go away this season. I will have an attachment point on the new crane arm that we put together this winter.

I like vanilla, by the way.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

My safe-t-puller couldnt take pulling crab pots from 1200' in Resurection Bay. Only lasted 1 season. I had the larger motor installed on it and it did ok last year. If I were to do it over I would go with the E dyne. But The Safe-t works great under 600'.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    Does he just spit the line over the opposite side? fake it on deck? Or does it dump into a basket? It in a basket you would think it would block access to the door.
    Last question is if the block is not 90 degrees from the hull how well does the line track in the white pully wheel at the top of the ED?does it handle offside pulls very well? (within reason I mean)

On a different note.
    The wife wants to come out soon and get more folding pots and a couple crab pots. How is the stock?
    I don't know what he does with the rope after it comes out of the hauler, if it were me i'd just run it on the floor and kick it where i need it to go . Yup you can be a bit to either side of 90 and it will pull fine, like you say within reason.
    I'm building pots everyday(& night) so just give a call before you'd like to stop by. Bait will be here late this week, 3 kinds of rope late the week after. Should be fully stocked by the end of the month.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I welded a bracket on to davit which I also made to come apart for storage. I added a foot switch by installing a stater relay so I can pull the potts either by hand control or by foot. I have the puller set up so the line coils into a 40 gallon plastic garbage can. The most I have pulled with this is 8 pots from 600 ft no problems. This is one fast pot puller. I used it last year for the commerical shrimp openner and made at least 250 pulls with it.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    I welded a bracket on to davit which I also made to come apart for storage. I added a foot switch by installing a stater relay so I can pull the potts either by hand control or by foot. I have the puller set up so the line coils into a 40 gallon plastic garbage can. The most I have pulled with this is 8 pots from 600 ft no problems. This is one fast pot puller. I used it last year for the commerical shrimp openner and made at least 250 pulls with it.
    I think you forgot to mention what type of hauler you have (i think i know)

Here's what going to be on my next boat, $6grand worth of hauler, all stainless and with enough balls to rip the snot out of anything that gets set over me!! I had a similar set up on my lobstah boat and could pickup balls of gear with 25-30 pots sticking out of it.
    PA030015.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Sorry about that. I have an Electrodyne.

Right now I feed my line into a collapsable laundry basket (you can get them at target for 12.00) They are nice cause they will hold at least 1900 feet of line (thats what I have) And when you toss your gear then they fold up to a disk 1 inch thick and 20 or so inches arouond, way easy to store. Been using them for a few years and they hold up well plus they are a mesh so the line drians and drys so no mildew.
    If I had that super limp line Steve has I could put an easy 2400 feet in it. As it is I have 2 strings, 600 feet of floating for the down side and 350 of sinking at the top. Plus I have tattletales stitched every 50 feet.

I am seriously thinking about selling it and buying 2 strings of 6 or 7 hundred from steve. I will have to talk to him when I go get more pots.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I used an E Dyne without a davit last season, and I liked it a lot. We have an aluminum bar, looks like a roll bar, that we fabricated a swiveling base to. It allows the puller to swing 8-12 inches out over the hull. The concern was that the line wouldn't stay fed into the puller without a davit to guide it, but it hasn't been a problem and simplifies the rig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast