Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Fall around the Chena

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,083

    Default Fall around the Chena

    This is a picture of a slough near the Chena River in North Pole. I took it last Fall, just before winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Member northstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Beautiful, Ray!

    A gorgeous photo!

  3. #3
    Moderator Alaskacanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sterling
    Posts
    1,450

    Default good stuff

    Ray, It would be nice to see all the seasons from that spot.
    You have taken several pictures from that spot.
    That is such a fine piece of Alaska you have found to shoot.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

    Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    Ray, It would be nice to see all the seasons from that spot.
    You have taken several pictures from that spot.
    That is such a fine piece of Alaska you have found to shoot.
    Max
    Thanks.

    I do have several photos I have taken of the same area, but I am limited to the 49KB file-size in this forum.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Lest see if it works. Here is another I took at the other end of the slough, looking toward the dam over the Chena. The open area to the right is the boat landing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,083

    Default Fall around the Chena

    This one is the same location as the first photo, except that it was taken at the beginning of winter. The ice was barely 1/2" thick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Moderator Alaskacanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sterling
    Posts
    1,450

    Default Very nice

    Ray, your pictures have such great depth..
    I feels like the sky and clouds go on forever..
    nice to see the same spot in different seasons and conditions.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

    Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Marshall
    Posts
    1,975

    Default Ray...

    Are you using filters or touching them up in PS or another program? & What kind of camera are you using?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Are you using filters or touching them up in PS or another program? & What kind of camera are you using?
    I used a circular polarizer filter on the two Fall photos. The frame and my name I add using PhotoShop Elements. I also use PhotoShop to sharpen the photos, crop to size, and to "Save For Web." This feature saves the photo for web display.

    Finally, some of my photos are Canon RAW format, so I use PhotoShop to adjust the RAW camera defaults and transform them to JPEG. The camera is a Canon Rebel XT with the kit lens (18-55mm) that comes with the camera. I will replace the lens with a Sigma zoom-wide angle 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro in a week or two. This lens is of a much better quality than the kit lens, at least relating to image quality. Canon has the best lenses out there, but cost two or three times more than the Sigma I plan to buy for $400.00 including S&H.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Member BucknRut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The BEGINNING of the road!
    Posts
    1,137

    Default Sigma Lens

    Ray, I've got a sigma and it is indeed an awesome lens. I was thinking about selling it to fund a new toy. If you are interested, I can get the model number and all to see if it will work with your camera.
    Joshua

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    Ray, I've got a sigma and it is indeed an awesome lens. I was thinking about selling it to fund a new toy. If you are interested, I can get the model number and all to see if it will work with your camera.
    Joshua
    Thanks.
    I already ordered from B&H.

  12. #12
    Member BucknRut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The BEGINNING of the road!
    Posts
    1,137

    Thumbs up Good thing Ray...

    I pulled mine out last evening and thought about it further and then decided that I want to get back into photography again. I've been so busy and on the road so much that I kinda lost the flavor. Seeing all of these great shots kinda enlightened my flames again. I will dig up some of my shots for you all to critique.

    BTW, I have ordered lots through B&H, they are a great company, never had a compaint. Look forward to seeing your shots.
    Joshua

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    I pulled mine out last evening and thought about it further and then decided that I want to get back into photography again. I've been so busy and on the road so much that I kinda lost the flavor. Seeing all of these great shots kinda enlightened my flames again. I will dig up some of my shots for you all to critique.

    BTW, I have ordered lots through B&H, they are a great company, never had a compaint. Look forward to seeing your shots.
    Joshua
    Another lens that is even better for the sort of photos I have posted above is the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X-124AF Pro DX. It costs about the same as a Sigma and Tamron super-wide lens of the same size, but it costs $100.00 more than the Sigma 17-70mm lens. I held my order at B&H for a couple of days, since I have to think about this a little longer.

    This one was taken on the way out of Chena Lakes a few weeks ago. The sky was beautiful, and I just happened to be there at the right time. No polarizer on this photo, just the UV filter I keep on the kit lens.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #14
    Member BucknRut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The BEGINNING of the road!
    Posts
    1,137

    Thumbs up

    Love the color variation on that last shot Ray! It would be nice to see seasonal shots of that location as well, not because of anything in particular, but because of the depth it offers. I bet you could get some good ones other times of the year too!
    Joshua

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    Love the color variation on that last shot Ray! It would be nice to see seasonal shots of that location as well, not because of anything in particular, but because of the depth it offers. I bet you could get some good ones other times of the year too!
    Joshua
    I would have to spend a lot of time on that road to get a good picture during the Fall or summer. It's juts a dusty gravel road, but every now and then the sky changes to colors such as the one you see in the photo. However, this happens when very cold outside, and with overcast skies. I took this one the same day, but on the road along the Flood Project in North Pole, and then I turned around to the road to Chena Lakes and took the other photo there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #16
    Member dwhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas/Alaska
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Ray,

    Those are great pictures and I recognize most all of them. I hunt that area at the flood control every year.

    Thanks for sharing

    Doug

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •