Thread: Our first fish of the year!

Default Our first fish of the year!

Just couldn't resist to post this up. We have our first fish for the year. The only thing that would have made it better would have been to catch it off our boat, but I'll take it for sure. Spring can't come soon enough.

Hawaii Fishing 2011 004.JPGHawaii Fishing 2011 020.JPG

Any Guesses?

I'm pretty sure I had that same fish on last year east of Seward. It is a dolphin-right?

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    I'm pretty sure I had that same fish on last year east of Seward. It is a dolphin-right?
    Dam, how'd you know. Actually its the elusive mini-billfish-orca. Here's a couple more for ya.

Hawaii Fishing 2011 014.JPGHawaii Fishing 2011 026.jpg

I just can't resist. This is going to make sure spring can't come soon enough.

Let me be first to say you`re killing me! It`s been a long time since I fished the warm blue waters. Nice sized stripe.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Only been fishing in Mexico once, but I thought how they raised the flags of the fish they caught was pretty cool. Nice fish!
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Let me be first to say you`re killing me! It`s been a long time since I fished the warm blue waters. Nice sized stripe.
    The striped is the little guy in the water. My dad's Blue was 4 times the size. The fight lasted 30min. Biggest salt water fish we ever caught. What an awesome way to spend a February.

Sorry for making your winter longer. I've just never had anything to make you guys jealous about. Kona is a spectacular way to spend a week or two in the winter. I've got a heck of guy I've known for years now that will take you fishing. Russ Nitta of Lepika is by far the best charter I've had anywhere. I think we should adopt their flags here in AK. One for rocks, one for ling, one for the different salmon and one for 'butts.

Sweet! Who'd you fish with where and what did that trip cost? Bunch of us are probably thinking of saving some $$$ for this! Going to Hawaii next November...

Thanks Cap'n Ron. I thought this would feed my fishing addiction for another few months but all it really did was feed the fire. Now I'm really counting the days until April.

Anyway, I've been going with Russ Nitta of Lepika Charters in Kona Hawaii the last two times I've been there. Once in 2006 and then this year. He is by far the best charter I've ever been with and he's one heck of a great guy. I've never seen a charter work as hard to get fish as he does. Last time we were out he worked his butt off to get us a bunch of Ahi and Mahi Mahi. It was non-stop catching on that trip. This time we couldn't afford a full day charter and Russ got just my dad and I on a half day trip and got us on two really nice marlin. Thing was, we booked a half day charter to leave around noon, he called us 8:30am the day of and asked if we wanted to go now and fish the rest of the day. We were an hour south of Kona and by the time we got there it was 10am. He still stayed out until nearly 530pm fishing with us all for a half day charter price. You just can't beat that kind of service. If you're really interested you should google the reviews on him. Or heck, PM me and I'll give you my number so we can talk in person. I've yet to find a bad review on Russ and would be surprised to find one. I rarely promote someone on the forums unless their service is top notch and he more than deserves the kind words.

I hope folks don't mind but we had such a great time fishing with him that I had to post something up. I gladly offered to take him fishing in AK if he gets up north and sure hope he takes me up on my offer.

Thanks, Patrick, and why would we mind, it's still winter and we're all going crazy (esp. it's about 54 here in Idaho and the sun is shining but the ground is brown!).

PM coming to you, Russ sounds like a great guy!

For what is worth, I caught these on January 27th....193.JPG

Charterboat Operator

DSC01795.jpgDSC01817.jpg
    gotta love Kona! Unfortunatly its been a year to the date since I was there.

Default keep the fish?

I've never fished in Hawaii because the captains keep the fish and only offer you a little that you can take home for dinner. At least that's the way all of the places I've talked to do it.

What were your experiences with this?

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I've never fished in Hawaii because the captains keep the fish and only offer you a little that you can take home for dinner. At least that's the way all of the places I've talked to do it.

It has been like that for long time. When I lived there and fished, we would take our catch to the auction near Waikiki. I would see fish there from all the charter operators. The fish are auctioned off and is sold in the markets and restaurants. Before I moved they changed the rules and required the fish to be at a certain core body temperature. This could only be accomplished by immersing in a cold water slurry, since we did not have a fish hold we had to stop. Gas was expensive and that was the only way we could afford to fish.

Was awesome catching Marlin and Ahi just a mile off shore in 10,000 ft of water.

This is a photo of my buddy with a couple Marlin on the scale at the auction.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post

Yep,

And not that I cared anyway as I didn't want to bother with more fish anyway. My charter was out of Lihue and only a 100 bucks so I can't complain. The captain gave me plenty for a couple of meals and that was enough. It was a great week and while I longed to get home, I loved the sun.

Who was your Lihue charter? That's a good price.