Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: J E S Rifle Reboring

Default J E S Rifle Reboring

I just got off the phone with Jess from JES Rifle Reboring. It's gonna cost me only $225 to ship my minty iron sighted, tang safety Ruger 77 30-06 to him so he can work his majic and send it back as a 338-06.

Is that a deal or what?

evendailey; thanks for putting me on to JES!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I just got off the phone with Jess from JES Rifle Reboring. It's gonna cost me only $225 to ship my minty iron sighted, tang safety Ruger 77 30-06 to him so he can work his majic and send it back as a 338-06.

Is that a deal or what?

Glad to be of service. I think you'll be pleased. Keep me posted on how it turns out.

Default Rebore or replace

Cost wise you would be much better off to just pick up a nice Ruger 77 in .338 WinMag! You could also shop around for a .35 Whelen barrel pull off a 77 unless you are in love with the idea of a .338-06.

Re-boring make a lot more sense when you have a favorite gun with a shot-out barrel and a fancy stock where you need to maintain the orginal barrel contour etc. Not knocking reboring - I've got an 03-A3 in '06 I've shot out after some 40+ years and I've considered beboring it to a Whelen or .338-06 myself. Not sure if the barrel contour is heavy enough for the Whelen, if so I'll go that route. Also considering getting a Ruger No. 1 in .458 bored out to .500 NE - no real reason for that one I guess.

Don't forget that the reloading dies are probably going to be more expensive etc. and you are still stuck with a push feed rifle in a caliber that may be used for serious game.

Do keep us advised as to how it turn out!

Is that a deal or what?

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Man you have a hard on for pf rifle we get it already they are inferior to the crf and I can never go chase dangerous game cause I gave push feed Christ sake stop beating the deadhorse... Ekc let us know how it shoots been thinking about doing this myself but going the whelen route...

I didn't start the thread about how incrediably great Remington rifles are - I just answered the challenge. Don't Remington owners ever stop beating the dead horse about accuracy - I think everyone including myself acknowledges that they shoot very well! Or is it OK to beat one dead horse and not another?

The point about the rifle being a push feed should be considered - it may or may not be important to everyone but it should be at least mentioned as a fair sum of money is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Man you have a hard on for pf rifle we get it already they are inferior to the crf and I can never go chase dangerous game cause I gave push feed Christ sake stop beating the deadhorse... Ekc let us know how it shoots been thinking about doing this myself but going the whelen route...
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

All my rifles are push feed,they are also single shot
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'd call that "controlled feed" myself! No chance of short stroking and never get the gun hopelessly jammed gun up trying to double feed. Plus it is always obvious if you already have a shell or case in the action.

I figure the Remington Rolling block was about the ultimate in simplicity when it somes to single shots - one would have to try really hard to screw up the basic rolling block.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    All my rifles are push feed,they are also single shot

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Cost wise you would be much better off to just pick up a nice Ruger 77 in .338 WinMag! You could also shop around for a .35 Whelen barrel pull off a 77 unless you are in love with the idea of a .338-06.
    It seems unlikely to me, that you could "pick up a nice Ruger 77 in .338 WinMag!" For $225.00

I would prefer a 338-06 over a 338 WM, because of less recoil.
    And over a 35 Whelen because there is more shoulder on the 338-06, than the Whelen.

The only concerns I'd have with 338-06, is that of shooting the heavier bullets, and/or any bullets that were designed for 338 Win Mag. velocities in a 338-06.

I'm not certain if that is an important issue, though.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default .338-06 or .35 Whelen

Not likely to pick up a nice one for $225 but that is what I paid for mine a year or so ago and it wasn't that bad.

Actually you have to add the price of the orginal '06 to the $225 - I'm sure you can get a nice .338 for that! And you can load the .338 down somewhat to match a .338-06 as well as load it up if you feel the need.

The headspace issue is interesting - I don't think it was an issue with the orginal Springfields as the extractor held the case back against the bolt face. I know my 03 Springfield will fire a primed case without a barrel. If indeed headspace is an issue that may be a good reason to go with a controlled feed rifle instead of a push feed - with a CRF you aren't jamming the bolt into the case to get the extractor to ride over the rim. Actually I find it hard to believe the headspace issue with the .35 Whelen in any event- the .358 Win and the .35 Remington don't seem to have any problems with headspace that I've heard of.

Bullets could be an issue - I haven't looked at the .338-06 velocites. There is a good variety for the .358 as well as factory ammo - two good reasons in the favor of the .35 Whelen.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    It seems unlikely to me, that you could "pick up a nice Ruger 77 in .338 WinMag!" For $225.00

I would prefer a 338-06 over a 338 WM, because of less recoil.
    And over a 35 Whelen because there is more shoulder on the 338-06, than the Whelen.

The only concerns I'd have with 338-06, is that of shooting the heavier bullets, and/or any bullets that were designed for 338 Win Mag. velocities in a 338-06.

I'm not certain if that is an important issue, though.

Smitty of the North

I shoot the RN heavier bullets after I read a post by Murphy where he said that you really don't need spitzers until 2700/2800fps. I haven't noticed any difference on paper, though the boattails are more accurate in my rifle. I haven't killed anything with a bullet heavier than 210g.

The velocity difference between the .338 WinMag and the .338-06 isn't as great as many people think, only about 200-300fps.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Jeez, EKC shared something he wants to do, planned out, and he probably didn't want to have one man's random opinions spewed all over him like last night's sour beer. I guess if Smith and Wesson made replacement barrels, that would be the only way to go.

"The only engineers really worth spit are all on trains."

Do you really think hurling personal insults shows you are a better person?

The orginal thread started with "Is that a deal or what?". Some of us responsed to the question with our personal expereinces and opinions as asked.

If you don't like what you read simply ignore it or offer an differing opinion - that is what a forum is all about!

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Jeez, EKC shared something he wants to do, planned out, and he probably didn't want to have one man's random opinions spewed all over him like last night's sour beer. I guess if Smith and Wesson made replacement barrels, that would be the only way to go.

"The only engineers really worth spit are all on trains."

Gotta love this, the drivel concerning CRF and PF aside, $225 sounds pretty fair for a 338/06 IMO. Depending where you live and how long you are willing to wait you might find another suitably chambered rifle for a reasonable sum, but for $225 I'd say your coming out about the same and if you like the M77 I'd call it good.

Wives tales, they come in all forms. Headspace on the 35 Whelen is among them. There is more than plenty of shoulder for headspace. There is nothing wrong with the design or function of the Whelen. Someone wrote about a problem with headspacing; others looked at the apparent small shoulder and thought "That's not enough shoulder to headspace properly!" These same people, having never shot one much less handloaded for a Whelen, read or heard about the issue and then it becomes fact. Let me remind you that the Whelen was a wildcat for many years. A fairly standard wildcat, but wildcat nonetheless. There was no standard or SAAMI spec'd reamer. That not all ammunition is interchangeable in wildcat chambers should be well known and understood, but alas many are befuddled by this.

There is ample shoulder for headspacing (regardless if the rifle is PF or CRF) and anyone that thinks otherwise has simply no experience with one. I am afraid that in too many cases reading and writing is more loved among firearm afficionados than is actually shooting the rifles. As for the 338/06 and 35 Whelen, I own both and like both, but IMO any advantage between the two for large game resides with the 35 Whelen. Oh yeah, my 35 Whelen is a PF and I trust it for these SW AK bears an awful lot in the fall--I hope you guys will take time to pray for me while I'm out in the field.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Default Whelen headspace, value etc.

If I recall correctly Murphy was the one that that was raising the red flag about headspace issues on the .35 Whelen. He apparently had some experiences where Rem. 700s wouldn't fire the Whelen because of excessive headspace. That was where I brought out the fact that my '03 based Whelen will fire a primed case without a barrel even on the gun - infinite headspace if you will. Anyone interested in the Whelen headspace debate can go back and find the thread. IF headspace were an issue - and in your experience and mine it isn't - a CRF rifle would be a definite advantage for the cartridge.

What is a "good deal" can always be debated. I tend to look at resale value vs. cost and it is usually very difficult to get your money out of a custom gun - check with any gun dealer to confirm. If you factor in the "cause I want one" that basis goes out the window -then "value" is in the eyes of the beholder.

Good luck on your hunts. Odds are you will be fine with whatever you carry.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Gotta love this, the drivel concerning CRF and PF aside, $225 sounds pretty fair for a 338/06 IMO. Depending where you live and how long you are willing to wait you might find another suitably chambered rifle for a reasonable sum, but for $225 I'd say your coming out about the same and if you like the M77 I'd call it good.

Wives tales, they come in all forms. Headspace on the 35 Whelen is among them. There is more than plenty of shoulder for headspace. There is nothing wrong with the design or function of the Whelen. Someone wrote about a problem with headspacing; others looked at the apparent small shoulder and thought "That's not enough shoulder to headspace properly!" These same people, having never shot one much less handloaded for a Whelen, read or heard about the issue and then it becomes fact. Let me remind you that the Whelen was a wildcat for many years. A fairly standard wildcat, but wildcat nonetheless. There was no standard or SAAMI spec'd reamer. That not all ammunition is interchangeable in wildcat chambers should be well known and understood, but alas many are befuddled by this.

There is ample shoulder for headspacing (regardless if the rifle is PF or CRF) and anyone that thinks otherwise has simply no experience with one. I am afraid that in too many cases reading and writing is more loved among firearm afficionados than is actually shooting the rifles. As for the 338/06 and 35 Whelen, I own both and like both, but IMO any advantage between the two for large game resides with the 35 Whelen. Oh yeah, my 35 Whelen is a PF and I trust it for these SW AK bears an awful lot in the fall--I hope you guys will take time to pray for me while I'm out in the field.

As far as i can tell, I did offer a differing opinion, I'm not one for flaming, but I have my limits. If I hurt your feeling I soooo apologize. Guess I'm just not PC enough or something. Acvtually, I don't really give a measured poop.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Oh yeah, my 35 Whelen is a PF and I trust it for these SW AK bears an awful lot in the fall--I hope you guys will take time to pray for me while I'm out in the field.
    Maybe we should pray for the bears . . .
    May they have the good sense and enough love of their life not to try you!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Is that a deal or what?

I'm going with Jesse too, so my beloved "down n dirty thirty thirty" can be rebored to 35/30-30 so I can shoot 358 220 grain speer flat points. I thank you again evendailey. I might even cut the points flat on 250 grain hot cors considering the neck on a thirty thirty case is so darned long. The Canadians do this all the time with good success, it's where I got the idea from. "IF" I do this, I may take a spring bear on my yukon trip for meat in the freezah.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Not likely to pick up a nice one for $225 but that is what I paid for mine a year or so ago and it wasn't that bad.

Actually you have to add the price of the orginal '06 to the $225 - I'm sure you can get a nice .338 for that! And you can load the .338 down somewhat to match a .338-06 as well as load it up if you feel the need.

The headspace issue is interesting - I don't think it was an issue with the orginal Springfields as the extractor held the case back against the bolt face. I know my 03 Springfield will fire a primed case without a barrel. If indeed headspace is an issue that may be a good reason to go with a controlled feed rifle instead of a push feed - with a CRF you aren't jamming the bolt into the case to get the extractor to ride over the rim. Actually I find it hard to believe the headspace issue with the .35 Whelen in any event- the .358 Win and the .35 Remington don't seem to have any problems with headspace that I've heard of.

Bullets could be an issue - I haven't looked at the .338-06 velocites. There is a good variety for the .358 as well as factory ammo - two good reasons in the favor of the .35 Whelen.
    Good points, I guess.

Sometimes there are good deals.

Itís like trading the 06 for a 338-06 and paying $225.00 boot, so only $225.00 of fresh monely.

Apparently, there CAN be headspace issues with the 35 Whelen, if the brass isnít sized with the die adjusted correctly. Also, donít some people go to the AI version for more shoulder to headspace on?

The 358 Win has a shoulder diameter that is .013 greater than the 35 Whelen, due to the body taper differences.

As to shoulder enough to headspace on,
    the Whelen has .053,
    the 358 Win has .066,
    and the 338-06 has .076

The 35 Whelen Improved has .072, just .019 over the standard 35 Whelen.

All this would vary according to the neck thickness.

With the 35 Whelen, you can say the shoulder is "adequate", but it's gotta be less forgiving than other cartridges, when the chamber is not quite right, for example. Bet it wouldn't take much to chamber a 35 Whelen when the headspace is a little too LONG. The fact is, there is VERY LITTLE shoulder there to headspace on, and that's a fact.

I donít know how it would all shake down in actual use, but there should be less chance of a problem with the 338-06.

Actually, I havenít heard of bullets failures, with any of these cartridges.

Probably, more bullet choices in 35 Cal. Including .357 hand gun bullets, for practice.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

That's a pretty good deal. If you had all the equiptment and know how you could rebarrel a little cheaper but not much. Both the 35Whelen and the 338/06 have plenty of shoulder. If you have an issue with head space you need to get the rifle fixed rather than keep shooting it as you will get case head seperation if you keep at it. All reloading dies should be carefully adjusted as some are capable of setting the shoulder back far enough to cause excessive head space. Any caliber will chamber if the headspace is too long and they really shouldn't be used in that condition unless you want to create a false shoulder and fire form to fit. 338/06 or 35Whelen? Take your pick, it won't make a lot of difference on the recieving end. Both plenty good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    That's a pretty good deal. If you had all the equiptment and know how you could rebarrel a little cheaper but not much. Both the 35Whelen and the 338/06 have plenty of shoulder. If you have an issue with head space you need to get the rifle fixed rather than keep shooting it as you will get case head seperation if you keep at it. All reloading dies should be carefully adjusted as some are capable of setting the shoulder back far enough to cause excessive head space. Any caliber will chamber if the headspace is too long and they really shouldn't be used in that condition unless you want to create a false shoulder and fire form to fit. 338/06 or 35Whelen? Take your pick, it won't make a lot of difference on the recieving end. Both plenty good choice.
    rbuck351:
    You don't think the firing pin can knock the 35 Whelen Cartridge forward, and overcome the slight shoulder? (Depending on the things I mentioned above.)

IIRC, this is what seems to have happened. And, a possible solution is to be very careful how the sizing die is adjusted.

Remember, the shoulder is not a Sharp Edge, like the belt on a belted case, but it's rounded. I'm convinced that this is an issue worth considering.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast