Thread: What's the best fish finder for kayak?

Default What's the best fish finder for kayak?

Hello friends..
    I am new to this forum and maybe this topic has been discussed before, but I honestly don't know where to start from. Can anyone recommend a good fish finder for a kayak? I know a bit about fish finders for boats, but I don't know anything about what works well with a kayak. I searched online for awhile and found many mixed up reviews, so can't decide which one to pick. So what do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance

I will say that even with the smallest kayak here in southcentral alaska you might be tempted to try using it in Whittier or Hope. that means you need one that can go at least 300 ft...preferably 600 ft deep. You can be 100 yards off shore and in 500 feet of water easily.

I used a piarhana max 160 portable. It was a bit bulky but it worked for me. Cheap at a little over 120 bucks. On short paddles I just used the suction cup on the outside but it did cause drag...I could almost balance it by trolling some thing large off the other side. next time I am just going to mount it inside.

Check with teh guys on bloodydecks.com as those California/Baja guys do a lot of kayak fishing.

I and partners have all had poor luck with various Lowrance units.

I have the Humminbird P-Max 160 as well, use it on my Trident 15, been in fresh and salt water (esp around Haines), does the job, great battery life, excellent picture, no issues at all with it. Looked at some with the GPS etc, glad I went the way I did. Got it for $90, sale price.

Quote Originally Posted by dinkygreg View Post
    Hello friends..
    I am new to this forum and maybe this topic has been discussed before, but I honestly don't know where to start from. Can anyone recommend a good fish finder for a kayak? I know a bit about fish finders for boats, but I don't know anything about what works well with a kayak. I searched online for awhile and found many mixed up reviews, so can't decide which one to pick. So what do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance
    Come on Man - ol' fashioned fish-findin'... It's 1/2 the Eskimo Roll, hold your breath, take a look-see around upside down, find the fish, roll back up, and get jiggin'!!!

Hummingbird has got ya covered at shallower depths with Buddy units, going deeper packages like the portables, even more-so with a unit set-up like 385cI with GPS.

Personally, I'd opt for Fish-finding and GPS all in one for here in Alaska. Nevertheless, simple, small less $$$, and doing the job is hard to beat.

I tried the Hawkeye last year... waste of money, first little bit of water on the thing and it shorted out.

I'm probably going to get the piranha max this year.

The specs for the Pirahanamax say it needs 10-20VDC so how are you guys powering your fish finders?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish6025 View Post
    The specs for the Pirahanamax say it needs 10-20VDC so how are you guys powering your fish finders?
    the portable version comes with a battery pack

http://www.amazon.com/Humminbird-Pir...4&sr=8-1-spell

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish6025 View Post
    I use a pirahana max 160. I got the portable but ended up mounting the transducer inside the kayak. It now starts losing signal around 500 ft instead of 600 since has to shoot thru the hull. Too much drag when I used the suction cup mount on the outside.

I power using the 7aH 12v that came with the portable but now that I am also adding lights, I picked up a 18aH sealed acid battery for a total of 25aH if I need it. 7aH battery powers the fish finder forever it seems like. I think the draw from the finder is like 0.1amp or something ridiculously low. Lights will draw a max of 4.5 amps.

Here's some of the modifications I made for the fish finder on my blogs.

http://guidesak.blogspot.com/2011/03/b-c.html

Default Have you looked at the Lowrance X67C Ice Machine?

The lowrance x67c is made and marketed for ice fishing. Its seems pricey for a single frequency fishfinder, and only has depths of 600'. A cheaper unit with dual frequency transducer is the Eagle Fisheasy 245DS Portable Fishfinder System. It says it can give you depths of 800'. Also if anyone is interested there is an article that I found usefull. It explains what dual frequency is http://pelicanmarinestore.com/index....ategory_id=618

I've been using my Eagle Cuda 350 that I got for $200, it has GPS maping w/sonar and I really like it. For the price its a pretty good deal with the GPS option it comes in handy for marking spots and recording your trails, it saves you from having to bring a seperate GPS unit, just one less thing to forget to bring or drop in the water. Also your going to end up paying around $100 for a basic fishfinder and another $100-$200 for a GPS unit so you'll end up payin the same. I use mine in water as deep as 1500ft out here in Hawaii, its only rated for 600ft I believe but it still marks fish no mater how deep you are, I mounted mine in the hull of my kayak with goop. There are many good forums that you can do reasearch on but my local one AQUAHUNTERS.COM is dedicated to offshore kayak fishing and is LOADED with really good info. Hope this helps and to see some of you guys on the water this coming spring...