Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little lady's new rifle options...

Default Little lady's new rifle options...

Looking to buy a new rifle for my wife but I have a lack of knowledge when it comes to choosing exactly what length, brand, caliber, etc.... This will be used for her go to rifle to be carried at all times while we hunt for most all edible Alaskan game, moose, caribou, sheep, black bear, etc. Up until now only I have carried.
    I was leaning toward a 30.06 for the lighter recoil. Although I'm unsure of brand to buy.
    Keep in mind my wife is 5'4" and about 130 lbs... So something a bit shorter than the typical rifle is necessary.
    I've contemplated having one custom made too....

All input is greatly appreciated!
    -akiceman25
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

If it was me, I'd ask her. What does she think she would like?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    If it was me, I'd ask her. What does she think she would like?
    She hasn't shot a rifle in nearly 20 years... So she's less knowledgeable than myself...

-akiceman25
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Take her out and start window shopping, see what feels good. I'm not a really big person either, and I concur with your idea of .30-06. In my opinion, it's plenty of gun for anything in Alaska. (For what it's worth, I don't have any rubber testicles hanging under my pick-up either). Of course, others will disagree. My largest gun is a 338-06, but I'm rapidly evolving to the 6.5x55 as my one and only go to for everything gun. I like the Winchester Featherweights. If it was me, that's where I'd start.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Looking to buy a new rifle for my wife but I have a lack of knowledge when it comes to choosing exactly what length, brand, caliber, etc.... This will be used for her go to rifle to be carried at all times while we hunt for most all edible Alaskan game, moose, caribou, sheep, black bear, etc. Up until now only I have carried.
    I was leaning toward a 30.06 for the lighter recoil. Although I'm unsure of brand to buy.
    Keep in mind my wife is 5'4" and about 130 lbs... So something a bit shorter than the typical rifle is necessary.
    I've contemplated having one custom made too....

All input is greatly appreciated!
    -akiceman25
    Go check out a Tikka t-3 lite. Good gun for not alotta $.

I'm about the same size as your wife and I definitely need either a youth stock or to have something cut down to fit me.

I'll be looking for the same thing for my wife this year. I have several guns for her to use, but none that are "her's". She has shot our Rem 7400 carbine in 30.06 and seems to like it, I'm just not hip to the reliability as I have had several FTF or FTE from this gun and it's pretty new and I keep it clean.
    I'm looking at a featherweight or youth .308 bolt gun as a possibility due to the longer action of an .06 being a little akward for her.
    I do agree with taking her to a gun shop and have her see how certian rifles feel. Maybe she falls in love with a lever action or pump? I think if she were to pick it out and it was hers, she will practice with it more etc. That's the way I'm going to approach it with my wife, I'll let everyone know how that goes when it happens... we need to wait until our little guy is born this spring and then I'm sure she will be up for getting her rifle.
    One more thing... are you planning on putting iron sights on her rifle in addition to a scope? Just wondering...

Mountaintrekker

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

If she has short arms, and needs a shorter stock, the Weatherby Vanguard, Youth model might work.

Men will often select a rifle chambered for a cartridge that they consider powerful, and deal with any of the unpleasantries of shooting it, like recoil etc., because they've already decided that is what they need.

On the other hand, most women are not Gun Nuts, and they will not like, or put up with, something that recoils enough to hurt. I suggest you choose, a cartridge that has light to moderate recoil.

And, a rifle that isn't too hard to pack around.

Once, you've decided on a few prerequisites, you can see what's available.

Smittly of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

.308? Every gun is made in this caliber it seems like. Pick the gun that feel right. I have had my fillings just about fall out from a 30-06 before, Savage 111. I think it is the stock. My 308 is quite pleasant in contrast. The .270 is nice caliber that is available everywhere and good to shoot. Everything you listed will die well with those calibers I would think.

Should be fun shopping and then going out shooting. My wife shoots the semi auto Rem 740's. We have two, one in 30-06 and one in 35 whelen. She does not like the recoil much at all, even with the lesser recoil of a repeating firearm. I think this season I will encourage her to try the .308 and see if that is more pleasant.

By buddy and I helped his wife get ready for last moose season with her first gun. She was quite the novice. He got her a 270 win. (and might use it to sheep hunt with wink wink) She shoots it well enough, but the recoil took some getting used to for her. She started with a 22LR then the 270. In retrospect, we should have borrowed a varmint gun like a 22-250 or 223 to get her used to recoil a bit more. She has quite the flinch and needs a bunch more trigger time to get used to shouldering, sighting and firing the rifle reflexively. But hey, don't we all.

She got a moose last year, go girl. She is eager to go again because of the success she had and the fun of the hunt. She also admits to needing more shooting practice which makes my buddy (and myself) quite happy since we have an excuse to go to the range more. Maybe he will have an excuse to buy another new gun, bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    If she has short arms, and needs a shorter stock, the Weatherby Vanguard, Youth model might work.

Men will often select a rifle chambered for a cartridge that they consider powerful, and deal with any of the unpleasantries of shooting it, like recoil etc., because they've already decided that is what they need.

On the other hand, most women are not Gun Nuts, and they will not like, or put up with, something that recoils enough to hurt. I suggest you choose, a cartridge that has light to moderate recoil.

And, a rifle that isn't too hard to pack around.

Once, you've decided on a few prerequisites, you can see what's available.

Smittly of the North
    +1 on the Weatherby my 13 year old has one in .308. Very reasonable recoil with reduced loads for target practice. Even full loads aren't bad.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

If were on a snowgo or inna baot, my wife usually uses her 7.62X45r MosinNagant, that she shoots as issued.

If were on foot, she has a Ruger M77 wiith a wooden stock that I slimmed, shortend, and fit to her. topped it with a Leupold fixxed 6, her only scoped rifle.

Both are accurate tools in her hands.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

My wife is about the same size, she loves her Ruger M77 Compact in 308. It has a short LOP and a shorter carbine length barrel which she can shoot comfortably in all positions. It is hard to beat the 308win for most hunting short of coastal bears.

I took my wife to the gun shop and she ended up getting a Remington Model 7 in 7mm08 stainless-comp, with a short arm reach they cut the stock to fit here for another 45.00. It is still something I could grab and shoot if needed. And topped it with a Leupold Vx-2, 3-9x40mm

.308 Rem. model 7 or Marlin in .338 marlin express. The .338 ME will give you 30-06 performance in a lever gun. Just not quite the distance as a 30-06.

I went through this with my wife. I ended up getting her a Winchester Featherweight in .280 Rem. I shortened the stock and added a Pachmeyer Decelerator recoil pad, then mounted a Burris compact 4x scope. It is light, it fits her, has good performance, and she has never complained about the recoil.

Another thing I find that really helps her shooting ability is the way she practices; many rounds fired through a scoped .22 rifle to hone her marksmanship and technique, then a couple groups from the .280Rem. to verify she and the rifle are on target. A prolonged session at the bench on a high power rifle is something she does not tolerate well.

I had this same dillemma 2 yrs ago. My wife is an inch shorter than your wife and a lefty. She shot my right handed ultralight .270 and did good, she shot her moose with it, but she didn't like the recoil that much. I took her around to the shops to let her feel out a few and make her own decision. She picked a stainless T/C Encore Pro Hunter in .300WM. It carries very well, nice balance, isn't that heavy, fits her great and the recoil isn't punishing. Since she hunts with me and I'm there more or less for a backup, a single shot isn't too bad with a little practice. She likes it and shoots it very well. I put a Burris 3x9x40 w/ ballistiplex on it and she hits at 200 and 300yds with consistancy.

I agree. Find a gun that fits her and go from there. My wife shoots a remington model 7 in 308.

Great rifle. My primary hunting rifle is also in .308 (have shot most of my big game animals including grizz with it) for ammo simplicity sake and the fact that I grew up shooting .308 so I am partial too it. I don't feel limited at all shooting a women's/kid's caliber for most of my hunting.

Rem modle 7 or a Youth 700. as for caliber that is a hard one. 30-06 is a great caliber but if she is shy on the recoil the 7mm-08 is a dandy rifle caliber.

She's going to have to decide which rifle she wants but I'll make some suggestions as to caliber: 7mm-08, 270 WSM (incredibly soft shooting with a Limbsaver recoil pad) 260 Remington, and the 308. The 260 may be kinda tough to get ammo for and the 7-08, 308 are all over the place and the 270 WSM is increasingly easier to get.

Quote Originally Posted by moses42ak View Post
    She's going to have to decide which rifle she wants but I'll make some suggestions as to caliber: 7mm-08, 270 WSM (incredibly soft shooting with a Limbsaver recoil pad) 260 Remington, and the 308. The 260 may be kinda tough to get ammo for and the 7-08, 308 are all over the place and the 270 WSM is increasingly easier to get.
    I have to say that I was surprised when I first squeezed the trigger on my Tikka 270WSM. It is surprisingly soft on the shoulder with a limbsaver pad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast