Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest way to get out of Alaska...

Default Cheapest way to get out of Alaska...

After 4 years our Alaskan experiment has come to a close due to the lack of full time engineering jobs and not having gotten to know the right people, so the wife and I are having to pick up and move. I was wondering if anyone has any information concerning the cheapest way to move from Alaska back to the lower 48 besides selling everything? We plan on getting rid of our vehicles and most of the stuff we don't need. The thing that will take up most of our space is moose antlers that I plan on selling down here. All together I would say that we have about 2 bedrooms worth of stuff.

Thanks.

Unfortunate you have to leave, I'm trying to get up there and your trying to leave lol . Have you tried other areas of Alaska ? anyways I hope all works out for you and the wife .

"Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

That depends a lot on where you want to get your stuff to. trucks going to washington everyday with fairly cheap prices. Once you pass seattle the price goes way up.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Link doesn't work...Try again please.

I forgot to mention that I am moving back to the motherland, Georgia.

Alaska seldon works for a man with a single skill and pay level but does fine for folks that just want to work
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Wow, thanks for the helpful information there Will!

I would venture to say that I am smarter and a harder worker than you. As for having a single skill set, I have two different engineering degrees; materials and a masters in civil, I have tons on environmental, civil, and materials certifications and experience. In addition to all that I have a lot of construction experience, both light and heavy industrial including and not limited to dirt work, water work, river work, carpentry, and others. I'm also a hell of a handy man and cook and have worked on a tug boat and barge.

Some of us did not make the right connections. Also some of us don't like feeling like committing suicide for 6 months out of the year due to depression.

But yeah, keep on thinking that the folks that leave didn't want to work.

When the COST of natural gas imported to Los Anchorage from oversea quadruples the heating and electric expense, then hundreds of thousands of families will be leaving. The Anchorage experiment worked fine with 50,000 humans; but is clearly scheduled for total failure at 500,000 humans. You are just beating the mass Exodus.

Cheapest way is UHaul.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    When the COST of natural gas imported to Los Anchorage from oversea quadruples the heating and electric expense, then hundreds of thousands of families will be leaving. The Anchorage experiment worked fine with 50,000 humans; but is clearly scheduled for total failure at 500,000 humans. You are just beating the mass Exodus.
    I hate to be a negative nancy but I believe that you are correct. Anchorage industry will have a hard time paying people to keep up with the cost of living.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by hotdiggity View Post

I would venture to say that I am smarter and a harder worker than you. As for having a single skill set, I have two different engineering degrees; materials and a masters in civil, I have tons on environmental, civil, and materials certifications and experience. In addition to all that I have a lot of construction experience, both light and heavy industrial including and not limited to dirt work, water work, river work, carpentry, and others. I'm also a hell of a handy man and cook and have worked on a tug boat and barge.

Some of us did not make the right connections. Also some of us don't like feeling like committing suicide for 6 months out of the year due to depression.

Maybe you are but I'm retired and did so at fifty with no degree and lots of work. Good winter work is cord wood at a hundred a cord and three or four cords a week should keep anyone afloat.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by hotdiggity View Post

You apparently arent all that smart if you couldnt make do with what you have up here.Also if you get depressed for six months of the year every year maybe you need help.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Look guys, he is just asking a simple question either add something constructive to his dilemma or move along.

Hotdig: I would look into either a semi trailer load or connex shipment. I had a buddy move back to Louisiana and he ended up going with a semi trailer. It did cost quite a bit though, probably more than selling and re-buying on the other end would have.

Sell what you can, ship the rest yellow freight and drive out.

We moved in an out of AK several times (for my old employer) and this was the cheapest route. Yellow freight was $1 per pound back in 2001 (the last time we moved) picked up at our house, packed the goods on pallets, shrinked them and delivered to our new house, but I'm sure that it's gone up. It arrived before we did. Depending on availability, they do have lift gate service and pickup and drop it at the driveway. We were responsible for getting it to the back of the truck.

Good luck.

Thumbs up

this place is always the same, like a pack of wovles. show a little weakness or just being differnt or want to join a new pack and the pack turns on you and wants to tear you to pieces! (OK, well, just some of the pack, there are some really good pack members on here that will help)

Good luck getting to GA.

Default Still like the UHaul option

UHaul and a 28' trailer behind the PU
    Attached Images Attached Images

Go onto USA Jobs and apply for a position at one of the bases in Georgia, the gov't is always looking for good engineers & they will pay your move from here.

Call the packaging store talk with Pete. 563-9876
    Last edited by alaskamokaiman; 03-11-2011 at 14:42. Reason: add info

Are you a PE? If so, send me a PM, my wife works for an Engineering Company and has openings often, especially if your a PE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast