Thread: Seeking A Heavy Duty Trailerable Snowmobile Cover

Default Seeking A Heavy Duty Trailerable Snowmobile Cover

I have a 1994 Ski-Doo Safari Deluxe that is in need of a new cover. The old one has been hit by moths, sun, voles, and wind, to the point it resembles some of my old blue jeans.

Very few of the catalogues or on-line sites have this machine listed still.

The machine measures approximately 100" (+/-) from the tip of the nose on the cowling, to the bar that retains the sled hitch at the rear, and has a two-up seat. It has a wider-than-some ski stance, and a fairly broad cowling, as well. I can measure both the ski stance and the cowling's width if necessary.

I prefer a HEAVY-DUTY trailerable cover made from 10 oz. (or heavier) weather/sun resistant/proof cotton canvas material. That's what I've had in the past, but Dowco has discontinued the covers I once used. A soft-stitched-in panel, inside the cover, near the windshield, is an added plus to keep the lexan unscratched, though I know I'm asking a lot there, and can also add that feature later on myself.

I typically modify the covers I've procured to incorporate heavily anchored (stitched) straps on the front, below the nose of the cowling, to either side of the cowling, that have quick-clip buckles securing the heavy canvas straps either to the A-arms or to the shocks, depending on the sled in question. That's a modification I've had great success with, but, obviously, will occur only after I've found my cover.

As far as a 'belly band' and hooks go, I prefer at least two hooks down each side to secure to the under-carriage, but like three hooks on each side sometimes, too. A belly-band strap is excellent for keeping the thing from billowing ion the wind either at highway speeds, or in a wind storm, though I'm indifferent as to whether it's attached physically/permanently to the cover, or independently, as my Dowco Black Knight cover was.

Fuel tank access isn't a big deal, though I won't turn down a cover for having it. My Parts Unlimited cover for my Tundra-R is ideal; heavier canvas than the original Ski-Doo stock cover, and it has an access port for fuel, but they don't offer such a cover for my Safari. I wish they did.

I've looked at the newer light-weight covers, and am inclined, if possible, to seek out an 'old-school' cotton canvas cover of good construction.

If anyone knows of such a beast, please let me know.

Thanks.

Thanks, I just got off the phone a bit ago with Dennis Kirk's order line. Their tech support line is closed, so I'll have to call back early Monday.

I'm not in a super big rush right now, but I want to get it here soon enough to complete the modifications I referred to earlier.

In the mean-time, I received a PM offering a very generous gift from another forum member, though I'm skeptical re. the fitment, as the older sleds tend to sit more proudly and a bit wider in the cowling than some of the later high-performance sleds. But we'll see. I'm not so proud as to look a gift horse in the mouth.

And a hearty 'thank you' to the forum member who PMed me, whether the cover fits or not. It was a very generous, and unexpected thing to offer!!

You might try Fish Creek Sales in Wasilla. Their number is 1-800-446-2611 or E-Mail at fcsales @mtaonline.net or on line www.fishcreek.biz Very good people to do business with. For the billowing while on a trailer use one or two bungies across the seat area and that takes the flapping out. Good luck

Thanks. If I'm correct, I've seen their ad in the Bush Mailer. I'll give them a call and see what they know. Thanks again.

http://www.snoskinz.com/difference.htm. Does Sno-Skinz make some that will fit yours? Their's are very durable and well-secured.

Thanks. I'm not sure if they make one for my ancient beast, or not. I'll give them a call Monday morning, along with investigating the other options addressed in this thread.

Stubbornness steers me toward the older heavy-duty canvas covers. Parts Unlimited's canvas cover for my 1998 Tundra-R is notably heavier (and perhaps better made) than Ski-Doo's original canvas cover for that same machine, though they use what appears to be the same exact design/pattern..

Admittedly, the canvas covers don't do as well in long-term UV exposure, so I need to get better about 'covering the cover' with a tarp in the summer, though it sits in the barn that time of year, for the most part.

I recall joking with the phone person at Dennis Kirk about the 'tights for snowmobiles' the first time we discussed the spandex/blend/layered materials in some of the similar covers to those you've posted. Bias on my part, and nothing more. I s'pose they'd address some of the billowing that the less fitted covers involve.. and, from what I've read, they're more water-proof than the old-style.

Anyway, thanks again, and I'll give them a call on Monday morning when I'm following up on my related research. Hopefully I'll get something fitted and, if necessary, modified, fairly soon, so I can get that pre-trip chore outa' the way.

Did you call a ski-doo dealer? I now, might be silly but ya never know...

Yeah, the things that get obsoleted first are those accessory sorts of items. And Ski-Doo's gotten to be almost as bad as Harley Davidson, where obsoleting parts early-on is concerned.

The one exception is Fullerton's, who handles obsoleted Ski-Doo parts they bought out/inherit when ever those parts are determined to be taking up too much space, and are no longer listed by Ski-Doo proper. I haven't asked Fullerton's about this particular 'part' yet, but their typical pricing is usually 'stock price, plus a premium' for having obsoleted original parts.

The last time I checked on a stator (maybe for my Tundra??), they didn't have them, as all they'd previously had were gone, but the stators they'd sold out of had been about $100 more than Ski-Doo's last printed price on the item at the time of obsoletion/discontinuation; supply and demand strikes again.. Or, in this case, lack of supply, and limited demand...

The other issue with Fullerton's is that it's pretty much a super-secret phone number that I have to ask the parts folks at a willing Ski-Doo dealership to access for me. Used to have a similar outlet for my old Harleys, too..

But thanks. I hadn't thought to ask Fullerton's about a cover.. They usually come to mind for mechanical stuff. For some reason, I tend to overlook them on basic frills. Just don't think of them for some reason for those items.

Thanks again.

Well... For the sake of anyone doing a future search into a cover for this machine (as unlikely a circumstance as that is..), I'll post the results of my research;

The 100" length I mentioned earlier is incorrect. I'd mistakenly measured from the front of the machine to the rear, on a flat, or horizontal plane. I -should- have measured from the center of the front of the cowling, up and over the windshield and handlebars, back to the passenger back rest, and down to the bar the sled hitch is attached to; perhaps even an inch or so below that.

The Ski-Doo dealers have, indeed, obsoleted the stock Ski-Doo cover for this machine. I'm waiting on a call-back re. whether or not Fullerton's has one for a museum-grade, Smithsonian heirloom artifact price. That's not to say that there's not a dealership somewhere in Po-Dunk, U.S.A. with one on their stock room shelf, buried under who-knows-what, and covered in an inch of dust, but I haven't found them yet... And for the time invested thus far, I probably would've. but who knows?

Fish Creek Sales carries the same brand of canvas cover I had in the past, though the shock cord reportedly nolonger goes all the way around the base. None-the-less, a decent cover for a fairly decent price.

Kimpex offers a universal fit cover that will fit my machine for a half-decent price, as well as a 'Pro' cover, with the option of a fabric insert to protect the lexan windshield and cowling from the abrasion of the canvas; nice, but definitely not at the lower end of pricing.

Parts Unlimited also markets a decent cover for a fairly similar price, and it's made from good, heavy-duty canvas, as well.

Very few (perhaps 'no one') offer a custom-fit cover that's tailored specifically for this machine.

When it's all said and done, some of these covers are likely made by the same folks (in Canada), and merely marketed with different distributors' logos. In a way, that mnakes the decision-making easier, by reducing the number of actual choices.

So, now it's verging on decision-making time. When I get down to Fish Creek Sales, assuming it's sufficiently in advance of our annual ice fishing lake trout trip to allow me to properly modify the cover, I'll likely take them up on their offered cover, and keep the money somewhat local, avoiding the freight charges that would ultimately raise the otherwise 'lower prices' offered down south to a point of actually being more in the end.

Thanks for the input and leads, folks..

There is another route that you could look at ,contact the guys at Howling Storm LLC .They are located close to 3 Bears on the Palmer/Wasilla Hy. Phone is 357-8555 since you have the old one they could make just what you want and then you would not have to fix it the way you wanted. They do good work on their product.

Thanks.

I've also since found out that the Parts Unlimited cover at Dennis Kirk's won't fit.

I'm currently looking more closely at the Katahdin cover I previously used, which Fish Creek Sales stocks.

I considered asking Ak. Tent and Tarp for a quote on a custom cover, but the thought of pricing has kept me from making that call just yet. Who knows, though? Maybe they'd be fairly reasonable, and then I could have it made the way I want it.

I'll also look into the custom option you left.

Thanks again.

ruffle,

i recently ordered, received, and installed the following aftermarket cover on my '98 Skandic 2-up with rear back rest:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I was happy enough with the fit/finish to order a second for another of my 2-up machines.

Best of luck. Let us know what you decide/where you procure.

Sorry I missed your reply, Berto.

That one looks like the deluxe cover Cabelas offers. The lesser cover Cabelas offers is made by Katahdin/Katadhin, and is apparently the one I had before, and the one handled by Fish Creek Sales, as well as other on-line sources.... though I'd mistakenly thought it was the Black Knight cover that Dowco used to make that I'd previously owned. (And Dowco's seriously reduced the sno-go covers they make, having made a wise business decision to follow market forces, but leaving those of us who liked their products at a bit of a loss.. i.o.w., I can understand their motives and such, but I wish they'd have hung on.)

I guess it's hard for the old timers to continue making tradtional canvas stuff (which tends to not fare well in re. to UV rays), when there's so many new materials and products on the market.. But some of us are still stuck on heavy canvas. I think someone out there was even making a 13 oz. cover, and I wouldn't mind experimenting with one if I could find one that fit my sled.

Anyway, thanks for another lead.. The 'kid in the candy shop' phenomenon starts to set in at some point, though I think I'm heading back toward the Katahdin, as it's a 10.10 oz. canvas, and I can sew the A-arm/front shock straps and quik-buckles on the front for better retention in the wind/when trailering.

Still wouldn't mind speaking with that custom outfit in the Valley someone posted about, but they're there, and I'm here, and not expecting to make another trip that way for a month and a half or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post
    ruffle,

i recently ordered, received, and installed the following aftermarket cover on my '98 Skandic 2-up with rear back rest:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I was happy enough with the fit/finish to order a second for another of my 2-up machines.

Best of luck. Let us know what you decide/where you procure.
    Thats what I have for my 08 Tundra LT 550F. I believe they are called Classic Sled Gear. Lots of straps including several hooks a belly strap and two straps up front that go through your ski loops or around your front suspension.
    They sell them at Trustworthy hardware in Soldotna I used to get them for $60 or $65 but this year they went up to @ $72
    They come in different sizes I use the XL for my 2up Tundra LT.
    I would recommend this cover.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"