Thread: MWR Charter in Valdez

Thumbs up MWR Charter in Valdez

Hello I am the captain of the MWR charter in Valdez and have been since 2009. I can assure you all we did recieve a Charter permit for halibut.

I was informed today that we also will be looking for some FLEX captains so that I may actually get some time off Rofllmao.

I also am glad to say we have recieved funding for two new engines and will be installing those prior to the Memorial day opener.

I do have to say that we will be more strict to the Army's authorized user list in 2011, as we had over 300 clients in 2010 and so many that we had to turn away because we were always full. We looked back at our client list and found that we should have turned some away as they were not authorized users.

Captain Corbett: I (and likely others) are not familiar with the MWR charters....so from your post I see it has something to do with active duty military? And, there are MWR charters in most AK salwater ports? Please tell us more of what this is about, and also contact info for appropriate people to find you in Valdez...and what is your boat? It all sounds good to me, I wasn't aware of this but have seen the MWR charter named in several posts on the forums...and, I'm sure there are past posts about this but not in awhile that I have noticed, so sorry if I've missed something.

Thank you for the question Cap'n Ron. MWR stands for Morale Welfare and Recreation and is part of the Department of Defense. All military bases have an MWR department that is staffed with civilian federal employees and our mission is to provide enjoyable activities to Military, there families, Dod employees, medal of honor holders and retired military. Most bases have an MWR run Auto skills center, a wood shop, Gym, hotel, and outdoor recreation center. The Seward resort and the Seward resort's 4 charter vessels are a Fort Richardson MWR program, in Valdez since 2007 the Glacier campground on airport road has been run by the Fort Greely MWR department. In Valdez we also have a charter vessel to take authorized users fishing on Prince William Sound, our current vessel is a 26 foot Hewes Craft Alaskan. To make reservations for any of our activities or vast rental inventory and even our guided activities please contact Fort Greely's Outdoor Recreation Department at 907-873-4058. Thank you Sincerely Captain Corbett captain.corbett@us.army.mil
    http://www.greely.army.mil/

The USCG also has a MWR operation in Kodiak. It is more of a DIY operation.
    http://kodiakmwr.com/
    Same authorized user issues apply.

Quote Originally Posted by captain.corbett View Post
    Hello I am the captain of the MWR charter in Valdez and have been since 2009. I can assure you all we did recieve a Charter permit for halibut.

I was informed today that we also will be looking for some FLEX captains so that I may actually get some time off Rofllmao.

I also am glad to say we have recieved funding for two new engines and will be installing those prior to the Memorial day opener.

I do have to say that we will be more strict to the Army's authorized user list in 2011, as we had over 300 clients in 2010 and so many that we had to turn away because we were always full. We looked back at our client list and found that we should have turned some away as they were not authorized users.
    Hey I was wondering if that one guy Warrent was still a captain with you guys He was awesome last summer.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Hello Albradley, This is Warren I am still working with Fort Greely MWR. I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable time fishing with me last season. I am currently working on the fine details of the Valdez operation, our new director is utilizing me to make sure we are prepared for opening on the memorial day weekend. I am about to start repairs on the many campers and also have recieved funding for two new engines on the boat we should have those very soon.
    If we get the staffing that has been requested then I may be operating the boat only once a week and overseeing the campground and boat operations the rest of the week.
    Sincerely Captain Warren Corbett captain.corbett@us.army.mil

Hello Albradley, This is Warren I am still working with Fort Greely MWR. I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable time fishing with me last season. I am currently working on the fine details of the Valdez operation, our new director is utilizing me to make sure we are prepared for opening on the memorial day weekend. I am about to start repairs on the many campers and also have recieved funding for two new engines on the boat we should have those very soon.
    If we get the staffing that has been requested then I may be operating the boat only once a week and overseeing the campground and boat operations the rest of the week.
    Sincerely Captain Warren Corbett captain.corbett@us.army.mil
    Ahh yea hey even though it was bad weather thank you for taking us out last july...Um you may remember we took you for dinner at that one hamburger place in valdez.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

It would be great if the MWR charters kept space for enlisted personnel and their immediate families as the first priority, since they are really the ones in need to a little Moral Welfare and Recreation. Second I would say would be Vets and their immediate families. Everyone else, I would think, ought to take a civillian charter. The rest of the qualifiing personell are federal employees, employees of federal credit unions on base, foriegn nationals training on miliatry bases, civillian military contractors, Federal Judges, Air Traffic Controlers... etc... etc.... People with good jobs that can afford to take a charter ought to....From what I see in Seward there are a lot of "companions" that are riding the MWR boats, thus making it difficult for active duty military to get on the boats.
    The usual disclaimer that I am a charter operator that has been competeing with the government for that business every year for the last 16 years in Seward...And a former Civillian Defense Contractor and a huge supporter of the US Military.

Well said Andy. I wasn't aware of that until a few years ago that other federal employees were allowed to use any of the rec camp facilities. I always liked the idea of giving help to the UNLISTED men/women and their families to enjoy our state and give a little family time between deployments. I still can't figure out how or why a Fed. employee that make 50- 100K a year needs anymore benefits/perks then they already get. Andy is there any issues with not having enough spots for the combat fishing tournament with some of the charters being out?
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    Well said Andy. I wasn't aware of that until a few years ago that other federal employees were allowed to use any of the rec camp facilities. I always liked the idea of giving help to the UNLISTED men/women and their families to enjoy our state and give a little family time between deployments. I still can't figure out how or why a Fed. employee that make 50- 100K a year needs anymore benefits/perks then they already get. Andy is there any issues with not having enough spots for the combat fishing tournament with some of the charters being out?
    Brad, I don't know of a single charter that is not goiing to be in business in Seward this summer. Despite what channel 2 news would have you believe, everyone from the new guy with the shark teeth on his boat to Justin to the Rainisong will be there. NMFS issue interim permits to many, so that they can fish until their appeal get heard by a judge. That was the right thing to do. My understanding is that the Judge is not going to even begin to hear the final appeals until the end of July. So some won't be settled until after our season.

With that said, I am sure if you wanted to join the Combat Fishing Tournament, it would be welcome if not, you are welcome to come with me. That way you at be on the winning boat......

I wonder if after these wars we see them open some of these programs up to combat vets. It would be pretty east to check a DD214 for a campaign medal.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Brad, I don't know of a single charter that is not goiing to be in business in Seward this summer. Despite what channel 2 news would have you believe, everyone from the new guy with the shark teeth on his boat to Justin to the Rainisong will be there. NMFS issue interim permits to many, so that they can fish until their appeal get heard by a judge. That was the right thing to do. My understanding is that the Judge is not going to even begin to hear the final appeals until the end of July. So some won't be settled until after our season.

With that said, I am sure if you wanted to join the Combat Fishing Tournament, it would be welcome if not, you are welcome to come with me. That way you at be on the winning boat......
    Wow I didn't realize that, thanks for the info. Not sure when it is or my work schedule, but if you need a volunteer I may be able to come out and help.
    Boatless