Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home king Derby charters

Default Homer king Derby charters

I have a co-worker who is planning on fishing the Homer King derby; any charter recommendations would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I've been looking for anything that floats to take me out there Jay. These charter guys are doing so good the 25 to 30 k they would make on my 6 hour charter doesn't even interest them. Guess they keep pretty flush, getting blue hairs limits of ping pong paddles

gosh, bush, i would go get a guide license just to take you, but then i couldn't take my friends out for ping-pong paddles for free.....
    as to the OP's initial query, you need to get hold of the homer chamber of commerce and see who has space.
    the top dogs have been booked for nearly a year by now....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

you mean the homer chamber of commerce actually refers other charter captains than mut? hmph!, the humanity!

No charter info on the chamber of commerce site, maybe one of the TOP DOGS will have a cancelation.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    No charter info on the chamber of commerce site, maybe one of the TOP DOGS will have a cancelation.
    uh, call them on the phone.
    i know it's archaic, but it's what works....

I called up a few places but the prices I got were out of line. Seemed that neither operator really wanted to do it so they gave a super high price.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    I called up a few places but the prices I got were out of line. Seemed that neither operator really wanted to do it so they gave a super high price.
    I don't charge any more just because it's the derby. The problem I find is people don't realize it costs $100 to enter the derby so they have to pay that on top of the charter price and I had one group cancel on me when they realized that.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Seems like demand would justify a higher than normal price. Over 800 folks fished the derby last year and, from what I understand, most charters are booked well in advance. Simple economics dictates that they can charge a bit higher than normal since there is a lot of demand for limited slots. Of course, I don't know what you mean by a "super high price".

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Seems like demand would justify a higher than normal price. Over 800 folks fished the derby last year and, from what I understand, most charters are booked well in advance. Simple economics dictates that they can charge a bit higher than normal since there is a lot of demand for limited slots. Of course, I don't know what you mean by a "super high price".
    Well, there are a few of us around that don't "gouge" people just because we can get away with it because of "demand".

And hats off to you, Muttley. There are some who do charge more, though. I wouldn't call it gouging, though, to charge a fair price based on what the market will bear. It's the same reason that airlines charge more for flights to Alaska in July than they do in February, why many halibut charters run specials in May and September, and why there are clearance sales on winter gear popping up right about now.

Cheapest one I found was $550 a person. That's much higher than I had expected to pay. Seemed a little out of line on pricing considering cost of fuel, motel, derby entry. Looking at close to $1000 for the day. I opted out this year unless something comes up.

Default Booking?

Mutt, you gots any openin's? You gots a number?

Whoa...yeah, that's a bit steep, isn't it? I was figuring something along the lines of $250-300, but that shows what I know regarding charter prices.

Cheapest one I found was $550 a person. That's much higher than I had expected to pay. Seemed a little out of line on pricing considering cost of fuel, motel, derby entry. Looking at close to $1000 for the day. I opted out this year unless something comes up.
    hey like I said before theres 30k on the table for the prudent charter skipper that wants to take me for a half day. Even better they get a photo op w/ me up on the winners podium....priceless

made a couple of calls, and your best bet is to call the chamber, 235-7740, and see if they have a list going for folks who are looking for charters.
    everyone i know who has a boat in the water and is planning on fishing the derby is full.
    as to a $550 price quote, that is totally out of line, unless you were quoted a "whole boat" price and you just figured your share. i know guys who will only charter the whole boat for the derby, as it eliminates any potential argument over winnings if everyone is in one party... (or at least any argument the skipper needs to worry about)

buddy had a charter yesterday, really iffy conditions, wind chill below zero and the only place to fish was the islands due to weather. they left at 9 and got back just before 6 for one #12 king and a cod, and one missed strike...
    i was out a couple times running folks around, and it was pretty cold out there!
    the weather looks good for thursday, so i may make a go of it and head for pogi, been some fish out there and they will have been left alone for a few days ....

Sorry folks. For about the only charter operator that doesn't gouge their clients during the derby just because they can get away with it I am booked and have about 6 other people looking to charter with me.

Yeah, the weather sucked yesterday, but the day before was beautiful and produced this nice 15 pounder off the Bluffs:

15 pounder.jpg

Pogi to 4th of July has been really spotty. I've been out there a few time in the last week with limited success. I would stay closer to 4th of July rather than go all the way out to Pogi.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    There are a few die-hard salmon charter operators who leave their boats in the water (or on trailers at the ready) all year... However, the majority of Homer charter boats are hauled out, winterized, and stored for the winter... it's not economically feasable for those Charter's to un-winterize, schedule the crane and have the boat dropped back in the water for a short 1 days charter.. and then have to reschedule (high tides only) the crane to lift the boat out of the water, re-winterize the boat... and wait til April to go back in the water... Consequently you have a very small number of available Charters for this March K Salmon derby... and based on the old law of supply and demand, prices are adjusted accordingly... I don't know what the harbor condx are this year, but in past years I know of Capt's that did put their boats back in the water for the charters.. several boats plugged up their water intakes with slush and ice, over heating their diesel engines before they got out of the breakwaters...... Not a good way to start the season..... Smaller Boats stored on trailers are a little better off, but still you have to un-winterize them, charge the Batteries, and make sure everything is working.... etc; etc;... I think the people who originated this March Salmon Derby envisioned more private boats than Charters..../John

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    There are a few die-hard salmon charter operators who leave their boats in the water (or on trailers at the ready) all year... However, the majority of Homer charter boats are hauled out, winterized, and stored for the winter... it's not economically feasable for those Charter's to un-winterize, schedule the crane and have the boat dropped back in the water for a short 1 days charter.. and then have to reschedule (high tides only) the crane to lift the boat out of the water, re-winterize the boat... and wait til April to go back in the water... Consequently you have a very small number of available Charters for this March K Salmon derby... and based on the old law of supply and demand, prices are adjusted accordingly... I don't know what the harbor condx are this year, but in past years I know of Capt's that did put their boats back in the water for the charters.. several boats plugged up their water intakes with slush and ice, over heating their diesel engines before they got out of the breakwaters...... Not a good way to start the season..... Smaller Boats stored on trailers are a little better off, but still you have to un-winterize them, charge the Batteries, and make sure everything is working.... etc; etc;... I think the people who originated this March Salmon Derby envisioned more private boats than Charters..../John
    I leave my boat in the harbor all winter, so there's no having to "crane" my boat out of the water. This winter has been particularly cold and there's been a lot of ice, but right now I can go in and out of the harbor whenever I feel like it. And by the time of the winter king tourny there's usually no ice in the harbor at all. There are plenty of charter operators that leave their boats in the water all winter, so there's no trailering or "craning" boats into the water. In the last 8 days I've been out 7 days. There are a lot of private boats out there during the derby, but I'd guess about 50% of them are charters. I know where I'll be that day. And I don't charge more just because I know there aren't that many charter operators out there. That's heinous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast