Thread: Ducks? In February?

Default Ducks? In February?

I swear I just saw a flight of ducks decending north over Benson Blvd near Minnesota.

I did catch them out of the corner of my eye but as I turned I saw clearly about a dozen duck sized birds in a vee formation.

I suppose they were headed to Westchester lagoon but it should be frozen.

I don't know...maybe wishful thinking
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

There have been about 50 mallards and an Oldsquaw on the open water in downtown Fairbanks lately. They stayed around through the -40 weather we had in December. In Anchorage last winter I saw a lot of ducks along Chester Creek when I was sledding and walking the dog. I'm not sure where they were landing, but they were flying about treetop-high.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Yes, there are hundreds of green heads in Anchorage all winter. Corn fed greenheads.

Go to the library and check out the pond. It is actually a storm drain catchment basin, and in the winter the upper end is mostly ice free thanks to groundwater seeping into the storm drain system. Since it is right next to the parking lot the birds get fed there on a regular basis.

The other day I was visiting my financial advisor in his new office in the ASRC building on C st. To the east is the Cuddy Family park and that pond. There were greenheads flying right next to his window the whole hour we were talking money.

There also are several open sections of Chester Creek in the Northern Lights and Boniface areas where the same birds are fed and get access to fresh water. There should be open water where Chester dumps into the upper lagoon of Westchester as well. The park there for the disc golfers is usually full of corn, bread and ducks.

Benson and Minni tells me that they may also be dumping into the marsh at the mouth of Fish creek next to the coastal trail.

When they need some protein they head to the mud flats and dig out worms from the silt at low tide. This new piece of knowledge came from the ESI done for the Knik Arm Bridge and port dredging projects several years ago.

These were betwixt Earthquake Park and Kincaid Park in December.

mallards_anch.JPG
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I jumped one up on an open creek up by the skilak glacier last week just one but it was there.

I work in one of the towers at Providence and out the window I see flock after flock at about 9:30am come from the east and flow to the west towards the inlet. They're flying pretty high and just moving through. I have no idea where that many ducks are holding up. But I would guess there is a thousand birds that I see moving throughout the morning.

Mossy, to the east of you is University Lake between the APU campus and the Native hospital. There can be openwater at both ends of the lake at times depending on creek flow. The openings can be really small like 10 feet across, but that is all the birds need.

Further east of you is Baxter Bog park off of Baxter road. They have open water there and at Chester creek over off of Boniface. All these spots are right up wind of you at Prov.

I just saw a flock of mallards flying over the Parks Hwy as I drove into wasilla this afternoon. They like to hang out in that area where the Palmer wasilla Hwy crosses by Wasilla Lake. It stays open all winter. I have seen flocks of 100+ birds sitting in there during the middle of winter before.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Has any one seen any ducks besides mallards that stay here through the winter?Or are they the only ducks that rely on welfare.

ive seen mergansers all year long there was a golden eye at the outlet of wasilla lake two weeks ago
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

on northwood road right by northwood elementary ( spenard rec center) there is a small pond that has some open water all year round.....every available inch of open water is occupied by greenheads....must be about 200-300 of them at any given time....there is also a resident owl that preys on them every day.....as well as other predators (including the occasional oriental family)....they fly back and forth between there and east 20th and boniface nieghborhoods....

Release Lake Trout

I noticed a pair of mallards landing on the far west side of West Chester Lagoon while ice skating on Sunday. They looked like they were landing where the lagoon feeds into the inlet. Ha Ha, when I pointed them out to my girlfriend she laughed and told I still had to wait 7 months. Still fun to see!

During the Christmas bird count last month I think they counted about 700 mallards in Anchorage. I spotted a lone male pintail in with them back in January.

I saw a drake Pintail with the normal Mallards this morning in the Northern Lights & Boniface area.

seen a hen and a drake mallard (4 curl tail) in chester creek that goes through uaa. while i was walking to class
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.