Thread: Burn Barrel / Incinerator designs?

Post Burn Barrel / Incinerator designs?

Iím looking for some kind of Burn Barrel or Home incinerator plans. We are currently using a 55 gallon drum with vent holes in the bottom, but there has to be something better.

Right now I'm hauling a lot of trash into the local transfer site. But living 15 miles from the nearest road makes that a pain.

Iíve done Google searches but havenít come up with much. Found a reference to a Yukon design, but no actual plans.

So, anyone got plans good burn barrel?

I use the same thing, 55 gal, drum. Might help to, take a pick axe, nock holes around in the sides too.I have mine about ft. apart around each ring of drum.That will help vent it,I found after burn bunch stuff holes in bottem are only good for not letting it fill up with rain water. It sits on three concret blocks up off the ground, I also have old pc, of heavy screen metal for the top when burning in the summer keeps sparks/ floaters down.

I don't know if you use canned goods but I had a lodge owner I knew that would dig a pit and line it with corigated tin with the tin sticking out so he could pull it up when needed. He would was the tin cans and cut the bottoms out and fold them then dump them in the pit. He used these pits to augment his leach field and said it worked wonders. Never made trips to the landfill. Just a thought.

George
    George Riddle
    Owner/Operator
    Blueberry Island Lodge
    www.blueberryislandlodge.com

I don't have any pictures but I used to use a drum that drove sharpened rebars through the drum to form a grate with an opening above it to put the trash it. Under the grate was another opening that I filled with firewood and kerosene. You could keep the firewood going until all the trash was was burned. This was the only thing I ever saw that completely burned disposable diapers. You go through a lot of kerosene and firewood but if you don't want to haul trash out it works great. I could usually get a year out of a drum.
    Almost forgot you need to cut another hole in the top that will take a short piece of 6" flue pipe to get a good draft.
    Chuck

Burn Barrels.pdf Burn Barrel Specifications.pdf

Here are a couple of PDF files I found on the State of Alaska website. I think the first PDF file is very close to what Hiline was talking about.

If someone was very handy here is a picture I found that looked interesting. The problem for me is this requires fuel to burn and I don't like burning up my fuel supply on trash.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    Burn Barrels.pdf Burn Barrel Specifications.pdf

Here are a couple of PDF files I found on the State of Alaska website. I think the first PDF file is very close to what Hiline was talking about.
    That's it the only difference is I cut openings in the side instead of the using the top.
    Chuck

Well, I've got something that is working pretty good. All that is left of household trash after burning is a fine white ash and cans. What I did was cut the top and bottom out of a 55 gallon drum. Stuck two pieces of rebar through the barrel about 1/4 way up from the bottom. Wired some extruded fireplace mesh, (home depot) to the rebar. I used a old wash tub for a lid, and put about 4' for 6" stove pipe in it for draft. I used 4 cinder blocks to keep the barrel off the ground to get good air flow.

It seems to be working very well.

Kelvin