Thread: flesh flies

Default flesh flies

I will be fishing for bows, dollies, silvers and grayling the first week of september on the willow as well as the kvichek....I want to tie up some flesh flies but have seen so many color and size variations....any suggestions on size...color...ect?

The reason you see so many variations is that sometimes one color or size will be the hot fly that day. Flesh flies are easy and cheap to tie. You can make them more complex with multiple colors and bead heads (like 900's great tutorial on this forum), but the standard flesh fly is one piece of rabbit tied in for a short tail and wrapped forward over some lead wire.

Start with white, peach, fawn/ginger, and salmon (light pink). 6's and 8's. Add variety from there.

Tie up a bunch... how often do you get to go fishing in Alaska?
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I would also suggest sz. 4 hooks. This is my go to size for most streams.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Thanks for the info....first time up there...I'm sure I make future trips

Scotty17, I also use size #4 hooks & always gamagatsu. (some in size #2)
    I have also tied these with marabou!
    Marabou gives you great action, in the water!

Don't forget to add some lead wraps.
    You need to get these flies down.

I agree with eatmyfly. Weight em up pretty good. On big water like the Kvichek, big flies work well, and they have to be rolling down near the bottom. Don't worry so much about presentation, just get it down.

I like shell pink and ginger with a little bit of yellowish... Check out the fly "cotton candy"

I like size 8 on scud hooks for my flesh.

I also think parks highway streams swing really nicely, especially that late.

Grayling eat insects, on the surface, general attractors are better that late.

For the big water, you'll want big flies, I like tying bunny flies on tubes that way you can use as many or few as you want. Out that way I've had best luck on battle creeks, ginger bunnies with pink tails, articulated bunny flies... All sorts of things.

Don't forget woolly buggers...
    And 2 handers are awesome

shoot me a PM
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Those are some good colors to start with, personaly ive yet to catch a fish on flesh, maybe thats cause i dont ever use them, this year will be different.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

All good input here but I usually dont' fish flesh much till later in Sept. I fish it in the spring and in mid July after everyone has been cleaning sockeye and August when they are cleaning silvers. The flesh flies pictured I would start with the fresh flesh, more orangy as the flesh available would be more that color. The first of Sept on the Kvichak is usually egg patterns. That said flesh is always something to try so I guess forget what I said...

George

if there is dead fish in the water flesh will always work, with that being said color is pretty important, you want to use orange colors and then progress to a white/cream color later in the year. I like to put a little bit of pink or flesh color in the tail and under the body or head to give it a little color, the cream or white will make it look sparse and seems to work well. Biggest thing is though the fish has to see it and in the fall they can be pretty picky and might not move much to get it. Also I know this is hard when your not in a boat but don't jerk or drag your fly, it will change the presentation and the fish wont touch it if it drags or looks un natural.

I like fishing flesh or rabbit flies, the hair gives it a lot of movment, even more so then maribou.

I've caught nice fish on flesh every month of the year.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Definitely a year round pattern and oh so wonderfully easy to tie. I add a decent size brass bead to some of mine for deeper applications, and feel free to use a wide wrap depending on how fluffy your fur is....if it's thick hide with lots of hair it can be tough to get em down with a tight wrap. George has more on the water experience on the Kvichak than I, but we usually break out the big boys for the Naknek and Kvichak, four inch string or articulated leeches. Have a few of the colors mentioned (bright white, cream, tan, pink, and that lady flesh and other two tones are excellent.)

I tie most of mine in a two or four size hook, I don't have much time on high pressure waters (not sure it would make a difference) but my experience with guides on the Kenai revealed some very large flesh flies under those bobbers....I mean BIG. I also like to fish a smaller flesh fly below a bead, often helps entice a nibble or two. Also, a bit of fine flashabout helps to make em "glisten"....bet you never thought you'd see that word in an outdoor forum