Thread: comfortable crossdraw

Default comfortable crossdraw

many of us use a beltgun as a tool, needing it on a daily basis for security and hunting purposes. holster selection has never been better, with custom makers designing products that offer fit & function never before available.

for my needs when not wearing a pack, a crossdraw is comfortable. this design offers both access and control while engaged in active pursuits.

these holsters by bob mernickle (sales@mernickleholsters.com) ride high and tight, and can be plain or fancy. check out his web site.
    happy trails.
    jh

Nice leather indeed. For me cross draw is the way to go 90% of the time
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Nice leather indeed. For me cross draw is the way to go 90% of the time
    hi will; you must think like me........ when i carry a long gun outside of a scabbard, it is on a sling. ( not carrying strap ). with a crossdraw there is never any interference with the stock of my rifle. this makes a smooth transition to the sit, my favorite shooting position.
    happy trails.
    jh

Yep I aways sit or kneel depending how tall the brush.Aways shoot 100yard max prefer much less so use the sling like the Corps tought me for short range. Crossdraw is handy for either hand in a bind
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I also prefer the crossdraw for most of my woods carry. The only time I carry strongside is when I want to be a little more concealed. I am very picky about how I want a holster to fit and ride. So much so that I have found very little ready made leather that works for me. The answer? I started making my own. I am finally gettin to the point where I can get a holster to turn out the way I want it to. Here is a holster I just finished a couple of days ago for my .45 Blackhawk.

..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

Very nice work alaskamace! I really like the seam line and Iím gonna need to swipe that idea off ya. Iíll send you a finderís fee in the form of some rep-points!

I have always packed cross draw, grew up that way. See I grew up ranching and unlike what you see in the movies strong side is very in the way when on horseback. If you are roping, leading pack animals or rank cattle the rope pulls over your strong side thigh and interferers badly with a gun. So being right handed I donít like a gun, knife or anything on my right side or the right side of my horse for that matter.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I swiped the idea from someone else, so go right ahead.

Very nice job. The ones I have made don't even look that good in my head

I have one of his cross draw holsters with the bear paw on it. It was made for my little 1970's S&W Mod. 34 Kit Gun in .22 caliber. A fine looking set up. Grand kids will be fighting over that one.

Alaskamace, that is fine looking holster, well made & and has an "all business" look. You selling leather or just building for your own use?

I am making things for my own use. I have sold a few holsters that I made along the way, but I don't really see myself doing this to make money. I enjoy leather as a hobby, if I started it as a business, I may not enjoy it so much. Are you looking for something in particular, or just curious?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamace View Post
    I am making things for my own use. I have sold a few holsters that I made along the way, but I don't really see myself doing this to make money. I enjoy leather as a hobby, if I started it as a business, I may not enjoy it so much. Are you looking for something in particular, or just curious?
    Thatís me too. I been doing leather over 40 years and have always done it for some side money but never wanted to make it a ďjobĒ fearing it would kill the fun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    many of us use a beltgun as a tool, needing it on a daily basis for security and hunting purposes. holster selection has never been better, with custom makers designing products that offer fit & function never before available.

for my needs when not wearing a pack, a crossdraw is comfortable. this design offers both access and control while engaged in active pursuits.

these holsters by bob mernickle (sales@mernickleholsters.com) ride high and tight, and can be plain or fancy. check out his web site.
    I've been lookin at those holsters with the beeg slots in the front, and thinkin, "What a stoopid gimick".

About, yesterday, it dawned on me that they were there to facilitate the crossdraw. You wouldn't hafta pull the gun UP, so far to get it out. You could use more angle in your draw. Dumb ole me.

I've always found a cross draw to be unhandy, but with those holsters, and hung high like they are, I could see how they could make things better.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamace View Post
    Yes, I'm looking for an X-draw for my 3" Kimber Ultra Raptor. Being left handed has not helped. Have been looking for a Galco Phoenix as that is the only production crossdraw holster made in LH for the ultra compact 1911s. Should say "was" as Galco has discontinued the Phoenix, but I have a line on one in LH for a 3"1911 in a shop out on the west coast. If it pans out, I'll order it first thing Mon morning...

Currently using a Blackhawk Serpa for a 5" 1911 with the extra length cut off. Workable, but I feel a fine handgun deserves fine leather, and I hate jury rigging holsters...

If that doesn't pan out, let me know. I have perused many a holster makers website in my quest to make a better holster. I could probably provide you with a few links to check out.