Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pack In Hunting

Default Pack In Hunting

I'm about to embark on my first backpack hunt this coming fall. I know just about everyone uses the pack frame and pack combos. They all apear fine and some are reasonably comfortable. According to my research most weight in the 10 to 12 pound range. Now with that in mind wouldn't it be better to take a 6 pound SUPER comfortable internal frame pack and strap a 3 pound composite frame to the outside?

My thinking is that why not have the most comfort possible at first to make camp, then take the pack frame with the removable day pack from the main pack for hunting duringe the day. Either way you wind up a pound or two lighter and more comfortable or is there something I am not considdering here
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

Post #62 in the Andy Simons tread has a picture of a pack that will solve your dilemma and not cost a fortune!
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by AKPyron View Post
    I'm about to embark on my first backpack hunt this coming fall. I know just about everyone uses the pack frame and pack combos. They all apear fine and some are reasonably comfortable. According to my research most weight in the 10 to 12 pound range. Now with that in mind wouldn't it be better to take a 6 pound SUPER comfortable internal frame pack and strap a 3 pound composite frame to the outside?

My thinking is that why not have the most comfort possible at first to make camp, then take the pack frame with the removable day pack from the main pack for hunting duringe the day. Either way you wind up a pound or two lighter and more comfortable or is there something I am not considdering here

Are you consittering packing the meat back to camp with the day pack, and then using the frame on the second, ect. trips?
    Find something you can wash.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

www.mysteryranch.com

Go there. Use visa. Forget your question.

Default Packs - then and now...

Interesting pack, if I have the right photo that Mr. Want mentioned. Simple. Functional - similar to MR's "NICE" frame (http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it....&category=1962).
    Attachment 45547

All the way to the most modern - that I've seen at least - on the Kifaru site - http://www.kifaru.net/HUNTHOME.HTM. Ultralight/through-hiker experiences are working their way into hunting packs; 5200 cu in, 2# 13oz - a little more with a few accessory pockets - but will cost a small fortune!

If it works for you. I am going this route this year. My Barney's pack frame with 8100 cu in of space includes a daypack for my wife to use on the day hunts and me use the frame pack to use on the day hunts out of spike camp if needed is 7.5 pounds all up. But pack fit is way more important then the weight of the pack itself. A crappy fitting pack with 110 pounds is much worse than a great fitting pack with 115 pounds. Don't get too wrapped up around the number of things cause in the field a couple pounds either way won't matter, what will matter is how your pack works for you.

I have done something very similar to what you are proposing. I was hunting the Kenai Mountains Caribou hunt, accessing it by mountain bike. I wanted a good, comfortable pack to be able to ride the bike with, but still wanted to have the pack frame for packing meat while in there and on the way out. I wasn't going to be riding the bike on the way out if I had meat anyway, so I didn't need that same flexibiliity level if the pack frame was in use. It worked pretty well, other than the pack frame occasionally catching on trailside branches because it stuck out a bit from the edges of the internal frame pack it was tied to.

still not sure why guys like to strap meat to the frame so much as opposed to putting in inside the bag. if the bag is already there use it. not sure on the excat weight of my barney pack empty, i believe it is right under 7lbs, comfortable and strong, carried loads that you'll call me a liar about in it. I have four of them now, use them and abuse them. as lanche pointed out, worrying about 1-3lbs on your comfortable backpack..not very important, if the weight is that important, shed a few lbs, take less ammo, drink less water, take less of a camp, smaller tent, lighter bino's.
    I won't sacrifice the quality on my back, but i can live without a pillow or sleeping pad, tent, spotting scope..ect.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have always used a Barney's or Cabela's Alaska Guide II pacframe with great results, but since i have found Mystery Ranch...

I now use a MysteryRanch pack and absolutely love the function for broad hunting uses:
    pack with head 2.jpg
    crewcab packed 1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    still not sure why guys like to strap meat to the frame so much as opposed to putting in inside the bag. if the bag is already there use it. not sure on the excat weight of my barney pack empty, i believe it is right under 7lbs, comfortable and strong, carried loads that you'll call me a liar about in it. I have four of them now, use them and abuse them. as lanche pointed out, worrying about 1-3lbs on your comfortable backpack..not very important, if the weight is that important, shed a few lbs, take less ammo, drink less water, take less of a camp, smaller tent, lighter bino's.
    I won't sacrifice the quality on my back, but i can live without a pillow or sleeping pad, tent, spotting scope..ect.
    Pretty hard to fit a moose hind quarter or a caribou rib cage in the bag of a pack.

"...still not sure why guys like to strap meat to the frame so much as opposed to putting in inside the bag. if the bag is already there use it..."
    With heavier loads because of the flexibility in load placement afforded by tying to load to the pack frame rather than loading the pack sack.
    Joe

My meat, or bear hide will be going to the pack bag right on the frame. Its just not a Barney's pack back. That pack bag inaddtion to the other pack strapped on it it is what gives me 8100 cu in for 7.5 pounds.

To be more specific... I don't put meat into an internal frame pack is you often can't fit it and its very hard to load it properly. Internal frame packs are supposed to be packed with heaviest items closest to your back just under your shoulders. Kind of hard to make a quarter stay there.

Quality is always foremost to weight. The packs I was speaking about was taking an Osprey Argon 85. Superior comfort by far to any external fram I've ever worn. The frame I was talking about is a composite frame that I used to use carrying a 60 lb electro fishing unit and it was comfortable. All told it will only save me 1 or 2 pounds but the comfort factor is more important to me.

Gotta admit though, that Mystery Ranch pack looks friggin sweet but holy crap the price is a small fortune!

As far as the Barney's frame pack, it just looks like a worked over ruck suck. And I've spent more than my fair share of time hoofin 60 lb packs in those uncomfortable things. Seems like you just tell people its made in Alaska and they think they can charge an extra 200 bucks!
    Last edited by AKPyron; 02-11-2011 at 13:01. Reason: Left out info

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Pretty hard to fit a moose hind quarter or a caribou rib cage in the bag of a pack.

Have had a lot of moose quarters and ribs in a barneys pack. Like the way it does not roll with each step. Amazing what you can carry on your back when its in your bag close to your back.

You could get a Kifaru, use the bag when you want or remove it and use the chair or grab-it to haul quarters. Very similar to the MR, each is custom set up to your height and waist size. I have this one and a Cabela's guide model frame, if near Fairbanks you can stop by and try on each to see what you like.

Moose quarter.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

That is one AWESOME caribout Stid!!!

never had a problem loading moose hindquarters in a bag before...never used a small bag though. ribs strap right on the outside really nice when i have other meat in the bag.
    good point on load placement by using just the frame, so used to the bag being either full or mostly full i don't often get the chance to pick where my load goes.
    worked with guys with mystery ranch..don't like it, always means i'll end up carrying most the stuff just because i have the room. If your hunting with buddys go with a smaller pack..hunting alone..go with a bigger one!
    Master guide 212

"As far as the Barney's frame pack, it just looks like a worked over ruck suck. And I've spent more than my fair share of time hoofin 60 lb packs in those uncomfortable things. Seems like you just tell people its made in Alaska and they think they can charge an extra 200 bucks!"

might not wanna buy a pack based on how it looks...i call my barney bags the "caddy pack", starts riding good with 50-60lbs in it...100lbs and its just part of your body...moves with you, dont' feel so much like your having to move it. Miles and miles ahead of the old external frames...or rucks.
    Master guide 212

As far as the Barney's frame pack, it just looks like a worked over ruck suck. And I've spent more than my fair share of time hoofin 60 lb packs in those uncomfortable things. Seems like you just tell people its made in Alaska and they think they can charge an extra 200 bucks!
    You've spent your fair share of time in a ruck sack, or in a Barney's pack? They may look similar, but they're not even close. The special thing about a Barney's pack isn't the frame or bag, it's the suspension system. While I can certainly appreciate supporting Alaskan businesses, that's not why I use a Barney's pack. For heavy packs, there isn't anything that is as dependable that I've tried. They're worth every penny.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast