Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weatherby Vs. Vanguard

Default Weatherby Mark V Vs. Vanguard

So I have been looking into buying a new rifle and really like the Weatherby Ultralight. My question is: How is it that a 900 Vanguard model offers a better MOA guarantee than ANY of Mark V models? I mean it just doesn't make sense to me. Anyone know anything about why this is?
    Last edited by AKPyron; 02-11-2011 at 00:50. Reason: Wrong title
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

I could easily be wrong on this but I believe the Mark Vs are in the Weatherby cartridges which I think are freebored. The vanguards in the non Weatherby cals are not freebored making them potentially more accurate. Thats my guess, but as I'm not up on Weatherbys, I could have easily got my info wrong.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I think that it's just a marketing thing. They make a lot of Vanguards, and they've just taken time to identify rifles that shoot better, or that they're willing to guarantee will shoot better. It's also a way of selling them for more bucks.

A Mk V, should be as accurate as a Vanguard.

Freebore doesn't make for inaccuracy.

Weatherby makes Mk V rifles in many non-weatherbly cartridges.

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/markv/synthetic

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have been comparing both in 300 win mag. As far as the Vanguards they gurantee they all shot sub MOA and send you a target supossedly shot by your weapon. In the end I guess it really doesn't matter. I really just want the Mark V ultra light for the full aluminum bedding block and the fluted barrel. Just still cannot how a rifle that cost half as much as another by the same manufacturer can be proven to shoot better

Quote Originally Posted by AKPyron View Post
    Just still cannot how a rifle that cost half as much as another by the same manufacturer can be proven to shoot better
    One has a better guarantee for accuracy, but that's not the same thing as "proven to shoot better", is it?

I guess, that potential accuracy isn't based on cost.

I suspect that a 6.75 lb 300 Mag. would be harder to shoot accuracy than a heavier gun, simply because of the extreme light weight. (For so powerful a cartridge.)

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

With the plain jane Vanguards the claim is an inch and a half, yet I've not seen one of those that won't shoot less than an inch.

I have a El cheapo Vanguard that when the wind isn't blowing and my heart isn't pounding so hard that the crosshairs jump with every beat will shoot a half inch! Heck thats as good as a 250 dollar Stevens 200 will shoot! Tell me how Savage does that?

I'm not sure the cost of a rifle is an accurate indication of how well it will shoot. The cheap Savage is considered to be one of the more accurate out of the box rifles. The pretty stocks and very nice bluing that helps make many of the MK Vs much more expensive doesn't help them shoot one iota better. Also because the MK V is supposed to be the "Cadillac of guns" it has to cost more. One of those marketing things.

Howa makes Vanguards and all my Howa's shoot really well, but then so do my Marlin X guns and Stevens 200's. Be careful of the old adage of "you get what you pay for" when it comes to accuracy any more. I've had some Shilen barrels on AR's that were under $300 and they shot as good as the $500 barrels of some other manufacturers....sometimes the stars just align for you and there is magic.

There are Mark Vs out there that are extremely accurate. Weatherby does not send a target with anything other than the SubMoas now.
    However, they still will fix any Mark V that shoots three shot groups larger than 1.5 inch at 100 yards. You will be responsible for shipping.

The Mark V does have some things going for it. They have externally adjustable triggers that are easy to adjust for a decent 2.5lb weight without creep. Mark V are also almost impossible to blow up. Criterion barrels are better than standard factory barrels and you can custom order a Kreiger cut rifled barrel.

Guides used to hate seeing a client with a Mark V because they were often a symptom of a "dude" hunter who was inexperienced and prone to flinching and wounding game. The Mark V can also develop problems in rough glacial country if they take a dunking. This is because of the myriad little pockets and folds in the 9 lug action.

The Mark V 300 Wby used to be one of the most popular offerings in Kotzebue in the 1950s and 1960s during the height of polar bear hunting in the area. Many of the old guides from this time period still have a Mark V either a South Gate Mauser or a German weatherby in their closets.

I missed purchasing LeRoy Shebal's 300 Weatherby at a gun show. I would have loved to purchase that gun. It needed to be taken out of possibly getting taken out of Alaska. Some guns belong here as much as certain historical samurai swords belong in Japan.

I can tell you that while a Mark V is heavier than a Vanguard it is truly a great hunting setup and really is more durable and useable than what might be expected.

A sleeper classic that I constantly look for is a 300 Roy in an Alaskan. This was a nickel plated finished Mark V in a synthetic stock.
    That is truly a long term Alaskan gun.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Kaboku68, thanks. Your weapon knowledge FAR exceeds mine. I own several firearms that are just not good for Alaska. All blued with wooden stocks and some with extensive checkering. This year I decided I think I want a better all around hunter for up here. A buddy of mine had a Mack V on our moose hunt a few years ago and he swore by it. Seemed pretty bullet-proof when having to break trail through the alders. When we got home we took it to the range and I just loved the way it felt and looked, and I've always thought that a riffle you feel more comfortable with is pretty much guaranteed to shoot better for you. At least in my experience confidence can make quite a difference.

The vanguard Sub-Moa models were the ones I was comparing. There are other riffles on my list of potentials including the 700's. I was really just trying to figure out what I missing and you helped answer some of that.

I sure like my Weatherby MK V.

It's chambered for 7mm Weatherby Magnum.

I cooked up a handload using H1000, and 160 grain Nosler Partitions, that shot well from the start. Velocity is 3000 fps.

The groups are usually a bit more than an inch at 100 yds. but I've done no load development. Maybe, could do better, but didn't see the need to try.

I got it at a gunshow, at a good price. It's SS, and the stock is Plastic. I've used it for hunting Caribou, and I've bagged several using that gun and that load.

Since, it has the plastic stock, rather than the fancy wood stock, I call it my Utility Weatherby.

It is, hefty compared to other rifles I have, but that's never been a problem. I like the action, and it's strength, the stock design, the longer 26" barrel, soft recoil pad, and the fact that it's Stainless Steel, although I don't mind hunting with a blued gun either.

I even consider it a DG rifle. Even, if it ISNT CRF.

It looks and feels, and shoots, just like a quality rifle should. I don't know why people dirtymouth them, about the Free Bore. The case capacity is very close to the 7mm Remington, yet the Wby version produces more velocity.

The 300 Weatherby is more popular, and more powerful. It is probably the best 300 Magnum of them all. I just prefer the 7mm, because I consider it powerful enuff, and it's more pleasant to shoot.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

As far as the plain Jane Vanguards go, I seen one today new for $380, stainless, synthetic stock, chambered in 243. I almost bought it as I have heard nothing but good about the Howa made Vanguards. Is that a decent price?

Thanks a lot Smitty!

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    As far as the plain Jane Vanguards go, I seen one today new for $380, stainless, synthetic stock, chambered in 243. I almost bought it as I have heard nothing but good about the Howa made Vanguards. Is that a decent price?
    I know what you mean. I have more rifles, than I can use now, but they're such good rifles at good prices.

Of course, if you don't like Plain Jane, there are fancier, and prettier vanguards to buy. Check out the "Sporter" version.

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rif...nguard/sporter

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    Last I looked they were $504.00 wholesale for that gun - yup that's a good price!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Well, I just picked up a Weatherby Vanguard today. I was going to get the 243 stainless, but ended up buying a 22-250 blued synthetic. Price was 350, new in unopened box. I was suprised to see that there was no test target included? Maybe it is an older model before they started doing that.

Rifle is very nicely fitted and finished for a rifle in this price range. Trigger is FANTASTIC!!! zero creep/take up and breaks consistently at 3 1/4 pounds according to my cheapo RCBS trigger guage. Will probably take me awhile before I am able to get it scoped out, buy dies, brass, and bullets. I went with the 22-250 over the 243 simply because I figured I could shoot 22 cal cheaper than 6mm concerning bullets. Mainly want a range gun for cheaper plinking and occasional coyote hunting.

I hate to admit it (always try and buy American) but these Vanguards made in Japan are a lot of gun for the money. I hope it shoots as good as it looks for a $350 rifle.

Sounds like you did well!
    Keep us posted on the process!!!
    Congrats - always feels good to bring a new girlfriend home!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    A sleeper classic that I constantly look for is a 300 Roy in an Alaskan. This was a nickel plated finished Mark V in a synthetic stock.
    That is truly a long term Alaskan gun.

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    If you don't mind,

How do you tell if a rifle is an "Alaskan"?

How, do you tell the difference in a "Nickel" plated gun, vs. Stainless Steel?

Weren't the MK V "Alaskans" made in Japan?

I'm curious because of the rifle I own.

My Mk V, Rifle, 7mm Weatherby, is Stainless Steel, I THINK, and has a Synthetic Stock. It was made in the USA.

I've been unable to find it on the Weatherby website.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I have a nickel Vanguard in 300wby and a Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 270win. I love both those rifles. The Monte Carlo stock fits my to a tee. Both are killing machines that have earned my trust. The Vanguard is my go-to rifle. Several years of abuse and it still looks new. My ULW is stainless and is also holding up well. If I wanted another rifle I'd favor the Ultra Lightweight Mark V in a bigger caliber but I'm covered with what I've got.

Kaboku68,

Last week there was a 300Wby Alaskan with a ported barrel and VXII Leupold for $795 at Boondock's. They also have an ULW in 300Roy, NIB, newest model for $1395. If I didn't already have four other .30 cal rifles I'd "pull the trigger" and get one of those two rifles, likely the ULW... crazy good rifles. I've got Accumarks in .257Wby, .270Wby and .338-.378Wby. The little ones shoot Sub-MOA to 300yds. Still need to do some development work on the "Monster". It is an experience in pure brutality. Makes me love my 30-40 Krag...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast