Thread: After 12 years.....I finally invited a 22 magnum Henry Levah back into the household

Default After 12 years.....I finally invited a 22 magnum Henry Levah back into the household

Finally, after kicking all those .17 H.yped-up M.oronic R.imfire guns to the curb, I finally invited a 22 magnum back into the house. I feel like such a traitor but a guarantee I'll redeem myself. I recently saw 3 individual sets of lynx tracks and over a dozen different sets of fox tracks out near my remote property and it's time to do some calling now that the weathah has warmed up a bit. I bought 5oo rounds of 40 grain FMJ, and 50 rounds of 50 grain hollowpoint (home defense). It feels nice to finally have the tried and true oldy back. since the inception (2002) of the 17 HMR, I jumped on that bandwagon..........never again. This Henry Lever Action Magnum seems to be a good gun and I'll do some accuracy testing this weekend. The only the major issue I have with the rifle is the plastic front sight/barrel band combo. I might have to make my own out of steel. The gun weighs 5.5 lbs, and I have a 2-7 power compact scope on the way which should put the gun right at 6 lbs scoped. The trigger pulls at a crisp 4 lbs, and it carries well with no protruding magazine coming out of the bottom.

Another MAJOR issue I found was that when I ran an oiled 30 caliber nylon bristle brush up into the brass tubular magazine sleeve (compressing the spring).......lot's of nasty stuff came out on the following patches. Having the inside of the tubular magazine brass sleeve cleaned and lightly oiled may be very important regarding spring tension and reliable feeding. In my past experience, the CCI total metal jacket 40 grainer will completely bludgeon it's way through a coyote out to 125 yds. Welcome back 22 mag.!

Mike: If he doesn't like it at your house let me know and he can have a home with me.

How about a couple of pictures of Henry.

knucklehead.

an excellent choice by an american company. their lever rifles function with reliability and accuracy using modern manufacturing techniques. quality components as good steel ( they make their own barrels ) good grade walnut ( they make their own stocks ) are obvious in their finished rifles these rifles are made by skilled craftsmen.

down in the lower 48 the .22 magnum has always been popular with poachers, and it is quiet and lethal. high standard used to make a snub revolver that was easy to control ( women liked them) yet very effective. cheap portable cartridges, nowadays the .22 magnum lags some in popularity, but it is still an excellent killer.
    happy trails.
    jh

Mariner, nice gun to add back in. I am heading out this afternoon to try for some coyotes with my 22mag, Ruger 77/22. I haven't tried a Henry yet but know a few guys that have a Golden Boy and they like it.

Pinehaven, is this the 22 mag revolver you were talking about? This looks like a very good purse gun for the women.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=215378985

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    an excellent choice by an american company. their lever rifles function with reliability and accuracy using modern manufacturing techniques. quality components as good steel ( they make their own barrels ) good grade walnut ( they make their own stocks ) are obvious in their finished rifles these rifles are made by skilled craftsmen.

down in the lower 48 the .22 magnum has always been popular with poachers, and it is quiet and lethal. high standard used to make a snub revolver that was easy to control ( women liked them) yet very effective. cheap portable cartridges, nowadays the .22 magnum lags some in popularity, but it is still an excellent killer.
    yes, it is popular with poachers back home too. I've seen quite a few deer shot in the neck with the cartridge, it was always a one shot deal.

Taurus makes a nice little 2", 8 shot stainless with adjustable sights in 22 Mag. I also have one in 4" that carries almost as well.

Can you put Skinner sights on the Henery?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Can you put Skinner sights on the Henery?
    He says he will make them for almost anything so I don't see why not. The Henrys have an integrated rail on top so I would think it should be an easy job to fit them and considering how many Henrys there are out there he'd be wise to stock them.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Mariner, nice gun to add back in. I am heading out this afternoon to try for some coyotes with my 22mag, Ruger 77/22. I haven't tried a Henry yet but know a few guys that have a Golden Boy and they like it.

Pinehaven, is this the 22 mag revolver you were talking about? This looks like a very good purse gun for the women.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=215378985
    that is the one!! it is a daisy, an accurate and deadly shooter...
    happy trails.
    jh

Finally got out to give the rifle a try, and for my son and girlfriend to get some trigger time. At 25 yds the bullets were generally touching. It was extremely cold and windy (25-35 mph winds). I managed to further zero the rifle at 100 yds but the wind opened the groups up a bit. The rifle is topped with a Burris 2-7 Timberline which has the Ballistic Plex. At 150 yds, the second notch of the plex recticle hit the target dead-on. At 200 yds the bullets "danced" around the bullseye due to the wind. The third notch of the Balistic Plex recticle was perfect for a 200 yd. shot which would be the limit I'd place on a 22 magnum. As the temperature dropped, I started to experience malfunctions. The firing pin wasnt hitting the primer with enough force to innitiate the primer. A second pull back of the hammer was oftentimes necessary to get the bullet to fire.

I attributed this to a combinations of things:
    1. I was using a heavy tetra gun oil (should use rem oil)
    2. The surface area of the firing pin is too large so I honed a slight shoulder (20 degree) on two sides of the face of the firing pin to ensure the force of the firing pin is more concentrated.
    3. The spring holding the firing pin rearward had too much psi. I removed the spring and continually squeezed it between my thumb and fore finger, completely compressing it about 300 times. It's loosened up quite a bit
    4. Since the firing pin is a flat slab of steel, I set it on a fine polishing stone and polished all sides. After observing the polishing job, it was obvious that it smoothed some rough edges to a mirror-finish.
    5. The recess within the bolt that houses the firing pin was cleaned up using some 0000 steel wool, followed by some pipe cleaners. There was some obvious "brown" shipping grease in the recess.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Finally got out to give the rifle a try, and for my son and girlfriend to get some trigger time. At 25 yds the bullets were generally touching. It was extremely cold and windy (25-35 mph winds). I managed to further zero the rifle at 100 yds but the wind opened the groups up a bit. The rifle is topped with a Burris 2-7 Timberline which has the Ballistic Plex. At 150 yds, the second notch of the plex recticle hit the target dead-on. At 200 yds the bullets "danced" around the bullseye due to the wind. The third notch of the Balistic Plex recticle was perfect for a 200 yd. shot which would be the limit I'd place on a 22 magnum. As the temperature dropped, I started to experience malfunctions. The firing pin wasnt hitting the primer with enough force to innitiate the primer. A second pull back of the hammer was oftentimes necessary to get the bullet to fire.

I attributed this to a combinations of things:
    1. I was using a heavy tetra gun oil (should use rem oil)
    2. The surface area of the firing pin is too large so I honed a slight shoulder (20 degree) on two sides of the face of the firing pin to ensure the force of the firing pin is more concentrated.
    3. The spring holding the firing pin rearward had too much psi. I removed the spring and continually squeezed it between my thumb and fore finger, completely compressing it about 300 times. It's loosened up quite a bit
    4. Since the firing pin is a flat slab of steel, I set it on a fine polishing stone and polished all sides. After observing the polishing job, it was obvious that it smoothed some rough edges to a mirror-finish.
    5. The recess within the bolt that houses the firing pin was cleaned up using some 0000 steel wool, followed by some pipe cleaners. There was some obvious "brown" shipping grease in the recess.
    nice job! that was a professional approach to a common problem, one that others would have blamed on the rifle. your skill and desire for reliability will be rewarded. ( i did a similar work up on my old model .358 browning lever). i use a military oil rated for arctic use but would consider fp10 or possibly even kroil.
    happy trails.
    jh

On this second target practicing trip I tried the Federal 22 mag competition full metal jacketed bullets (40 grain), and they are accurate enough.

Once zeroed, I hunkered down over my plastic camp table and managed a couple decent 100 yd. 3 shot groups. The best of the two groups being a .360" group. There was only a 10-15 mph wind blowing at a diagonal from the east.

At 150 yds. the second notch of the ballistic plex put a six shot group into a decent 1.775" group. (scope on 7 power)

With the tubular magazine filled to the brim (11 shots), I put the third notch of the ballistic plex reticle on the bulls eye (scope on 7 power) and let em go. I managed a 3.072" group. Good nuff.

I must say that all of the 22mag fmj's punched through my target frame which is two layers of 7/16" ply wood, and the paper board backing........even at 200 yds.

No malfunctions this time, I left the firing pin recess dry. Awww dang......I haven't cleaned the bore yet, maybe next year; it's part of my "barrel break in" process (sarcasm).

Attached Images Attached Images

bump for trapperbob.

Very sweet gun! I had a Golden Boy in 22LR but the drop in the stock was just too much for me to get comfy with, gun was extremely smooth to operate though - well made.
    Me thinks if a coyote is hiding behind a sheet of plywood at 200 yards he is a dead duck!
    I carry a Rem semi auto 22 mag around - cheap gun but I can hit what I shoot at with it pretty well... Fun for sure and quiet. I have one of the few Leveraction Win 17 HMR's with a pistol grip stock - bought it about a month before they announced they were going out of business - the 17HMR is fun to shoot but I agree the 22 mag is better in most cases..
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Ya gots love them Henry rifles, they are almost as fast shooting as an semi-auto rifle. Very accurate to top it off, great choice on a new rifle.