Thread: mmmm......burbot belly/liver and egg chowdah.

Default mmmm......burbot belly/liver and egg chowdah.

just reminding yah guys how tastey this part of the burbot is. Just toss a can of clam juice, a half gallon of milk, the eggs, liver, and belly meat of about four burbot, and six potatoes in the pot. flavah with onions and some fresh dill to taste.....and you have one tasty chowdah. Don't waste this part of the fish........trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    just reminding yah guys how tastey this part of the burbot is. Just toss a can of clam juice, a half gallon of milk, the eggs, liver, and belly meat of about four burbot, and six potatoes in the pot. flavah with onions and some fresh dill to taste.....and you have one tasty chowdah. Don't waste this part of the fish........trust me.
    Waaaaaay to early in the morning to have read this. I'm quivering inside now.

Default benefits of mercury

Don't waste this part of the fish........trust me.
    He's right, what you don't eat you can use to extract the gold out of black sands, or go into the hat making business

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    I'm with you on this...... Hat's off to people who can do it though....
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Sounds Disgusting to Me! I think AkNook would eat this up, I will send him the recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

shouldnt be any mercury in the liver of a fish caught from an clean and remote lake or river here in Alaska. My 8 year old son who can be picky at times, will eat two bowls of this stuff. It's real rich in iron, and omega 3 fatty acids. consider it brain food. After you fillet a burbot, there's still a 1/4-1/2" thick piece of belly meat (no different than eating the meat from salmon bellies), and a large piece of liver and eggs. when it cooks, it just blends in with the chowdah, and the belly meat turns to rich flakey pieces of white meat with a texture similar to lobstah. You won't be able to find the the liver nor the eggs in the chowdah, it really does just blend in to make the richest and healthiest food you could eat IMO. Some of my native freinds up north actually prefer the liver and eggs over the meat itself. It's better to try it, than to not try it at all, is what I tell my son......and he actually liked it! I know you guys have more intestinal/and stomach fortitude than this! geeze.

Some natives throw a seal flipper in the ground and let it rot for a couple months before they eat it..... (just saying....)
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

I paid for my MBA selling Pacific Cod milt (sperm) to the Japanese and the pacific Cod stomachs to the Koreans. Both aren't that bad once you get over the mental issues. Burbot roe and liver looks a lot like the Pacific Cod to me. I may have to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Sounds Disgusting to Me! I think AkNook would eat this up, I will send him the recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Fish On!
    Sounds like Dinner!

After you fillet a burbot,.
    Mainer, I've never heard of filleting a burbot. I've always skinned them like a catfish my entire life. I've always had a sharp nail in a pole or shed stud, cut a ring around the head, smack the head on the sharp nail to hang it, use a pair of pliers to pull the skin off. End up with one big chunk of meat then gut it. Been doing that since I was knee high to a Snowshoe Hare. I must say, your chowdah recipe made me a little queezie. The only thing I've ever done with the liver was to use it a bait to catch more Burbot or Cusk as we use to call them in Northern Maine with I was a wee feller. Even though they eat just about anything, my Dad and I would fight to get the first peice of liver on the hook from a fresh Cusk. Lots of them in the Fish River Chain Of Lakes System in "The County". Same fish.

shouldnt be any mercury in the liver of a fish caught from an clean and remote lake or river here in Alaska. My 8 year old son who can be picky at times, will eat two bowls of this stuff. It's real rich in iron, and omega 3 fatty acids. consider it brain food. After you fillet a burbot, there's still a 1/4-1/2" thick piece of belly meat (no different than eating the meat from salmon bellies), and a large piece of liver and eggs. when it cooks, it just blends in with the chowdah, and the belly meat turns to rich flakey pieces of white meat with a texture similar to lobstah. You won't be able to find the the liver nor the eggs in the chowdah, it really does just blend in to make the richest and healthiest food you could eat IMO. Some of my native freinds up north actually prefer the liver and eggs over the meat itself. It's better to try it, than to not try it at all, is what I tell my son......and he actually liked it! I know you guys have more intestinal/and stomach fortitude than this! geeze.
    You're probably right Mike,, but I know they found mercury in trout and grayling way up in the mountains above Paxon, because they eat salmon flesh. Sockeyes spawn in quite a few burbot lakes, livers filter and store the toxins....just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    And there goes my coffee and breakfast....
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    And there goes my coffee and breakfast....
    LOL this thread has been doing that for two days now! lol. I don't know about trying this recipe but I have been known to eat some stream side sushimi! After filetting some salmon a nice sliver of raw salmon goes down sometimes... You should see the people's faces on the bank!

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    LOL this thread has been doing that for two days now! lol. I don't know about trying this recipe but I have been known to eat some stream side sushimi! After filetting some salmon a nice sliver of raw salmon goes down sometimes... You should see the people's faces on the bank!
    I have had that before but the thought of the earlier recipe made me sick as can be..no im not a hypocrite but geez at 4am i do not want to think about eating that stuff.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

I'm with ya dube... I'll give it a try! I've had both the eggs and liver, fried, and they're quite good. The eggs are so rich you can't eat very many. Do the same with pike liver and eggs- should come out the same way.

I'd be cautious eating raw salmon. Sashimi as served by sushi restaurants is frozen first to kill parasites. Anisakis is the worst offender...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisakis

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    I'd be cautious eating raw salmon. Sashimi as served by sushi restaurants is frozen first to kill parasites. Anisakis is the worst offender...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisakis

Chris
    Yea, I am aware of that. I just did a couple times for the fear factor... did taste good though. lol

Yea, I am aware of that. I just did a couple times for the fear factor... did taste good though. lol

Yummy...
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/