Thread: Continued Success!

Default Continued Success!

Well, this week has been wonderfully productive and very perplexing at the same time. My partner was out cross country skiing, looking for a coyote, when he happened upon a beautiful young female lynx sitting just off the trail watching him ski by. Unfortunately, all he had with him was the .22-250... not the best caliber to take a 19 pound lynx at 10 feet away with. Two grapefruit sized holes on either side of her neck to attempt to repair.

Even more of a head scratching event this morning... we went out to check the line and a snare I just repositioned two days ago produced a 30 pound male coyote... WITH THREE LEGS. The missing limb is obviously a fresh wound, and literally torn off deep into the shoulder joint, but no blood trail indicating he was previously injured or other hint as to where the leg went. The rest of the line is untouched. There were two ravens scavenging on the wound, but I sure don't see a raven carrying off the entire leg? Not sure how/if I'm going to be able to fix this one. Either way, what a wonderful week on the line! Two more beautiful predators taken out of the food chain and added to the list of fur.

Last edited by LuJon; 02-10-2011 at 22:14.

That is really weird. I can see missing a foot and getting along, but a wound like that would seem fatal to me. Good job on the fur!

If it was frozen in the snare, I would imagine it wouldnt be hard for another yote or predator to come by and rip a leg off like that leaving no blood trail!

i would have shot the lynx<in the head>