Thread: Chesapeake registrations

Default Chesapeake registrations

Sorry, but I don't have access to the stats for Labs, Goldens, etc. Registration statistics from AKC:

Annual Registration Statistics for Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

Year Litters Dogs
    2010 608 2081
    2009 648 2149
    2008 712 2463
    2007 833 2840
    2006 908 3120
    2005 941 3332
    2004 1038 3454
    2003 1047 3713
    2002 1115 3829
    2001 1113 4400

What do the numbers mean? What is 608 and 2081?

I'd guess it means 608 litters which produced 2081 dogs.

It maybe that there where 608 litters and the new owners only registrated 2081 dogs.

Captain's sounds more likely. 208 litters should produce WAY more than around 4 per litter.

That's true.
    But this is numbers for those that were "registered".
    Not every puppy buyer actually fills out the paperwork.

sometimes, not every puppy in litter is made eligible to be registered by breeder.
    some pups, in the breeder's opinion, may noy possess minmum standards. this is a very prudent way to 'police' the breed.

I suspect that Bilbo and Captain are both correct. With genetic testing widely available, perhaps some breeders are taking a hard line on any pup that could create a future problem for the breed.

The numbers mean that in 2010 there were 608 Chesapeake litters registered, and 2081 individual Chesapeakes registered. Not all of the 2081 individual dogs came from those 608 litters, as some may have been born the previous year(s). Information about AKC
    litter registration is online at http://www.akc.org/reg/registeralitter.cfm, and information about registering an individual dog is online at http://www.akc.org/reg/registeradog.cfm

If a breeder registers a litter, all pups in that litter are eligible for either limited or full registration. The breeder/litter owner decides which pups are eligible for which type of registration. Dogs that have limited registration cannot be shown in the breed ring (conformation), but can compete in field trials, hunt tests, obedience, agility, etc. produce registerable puppies. No offspring are eligible for registration. Dogs with full registration can compete in all venues, and offspring may be eligible for registration. Not all people who purchase or get a pup from a registered litter will individually register the pups, and for various reasons (they don't plan to breed & intend to neuter/spay, don't compete, registration doesn't matter to them, etc.)

There's been a great deal of discussion/debate in the Chesapeake community about the cause for the drop in the numbers. The reasons for the almost 50% decrease in 10 years might be the economy, more genetic testing available (DM, EIC, etc.), "the DM scare", more selective breeding choices/decisions, it's a dying breed, and the list goes on. Interesting, but who knows!

Karen

Timing & Deadlines:

Is there an age where a pup of registered parents is too old to be registered?

I agree with and support selective breeding and am considering having my pup bred. My plan is to hold off on spaying until she's 2 because I want here fully developed before getting her hips checked. Assuming she passes the PRA testing and is a good, birdy, well mannered dog, then I will seek a stud.

If she has issues I will get her spayed. Man, I hope she doesn't because she is one beee-yoo-tee-full dog. If Cruella DeVille got a look at my pup she'd give up Dalmatians...but then I'd go down for murdering a cartoon and I've seen Roger Rabbit so I know I don't want to deal with that.

But I digress.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

The individual registration application is valid for 12 months from the date the litter was registered, and it costs $20 to individually register a dog. If someone waits to individually register a dog from a registered litter, the fee increases -- after 12 months it's $55, after 24 months it's $85, and AKC may require other information.