Thread: Military Surplus: Quality Hunting Gear?

Default Military Surplus: Quality Hunting Gear?

Having recently read about 'budget concious' shopping for hunting gear, what opinions are out there on military issue gear for a flatland hunt or mountain hunt. Specifically, the 100% polypro 1/4 zip pull-overs and 100% polypro long underwear. What about rain ponchos? Pants? Socks?

The poly pro tops and bottoms work pretty good but the tops are a little short in the back so when you bend over they come untucked which is a pain. Also do not put them in a dryer they melt or shrink or both!

The ponchos are 100% waterproof and breath just like that.

old US military uniform pants are great, produce next to no noise when rubbing against vegetation or rocks and dry quickly, they also hold up real well to abrasions etc.

Standard US issues socks leave something to be desired, I wouldn't waste my money on them.

The newest issue synthetic underwear is far superior to the poly pro stuff. It comes in a silky feeling base layer top and bottom, what we refer to as a waffle top and bottom which is a mid weight, and a thicker green fleece zippered jacket. All of which hold up great and work wonderfully.

Default military issue

I have always used the military weight polypros and love the zip down turtle neck shirt. Wash cold and hang dry to avoid piling. I have a couple of military poncho tarps also that will never die. Wear as a poncho, tarp or emergency shelter. I may throw one away finally this year cause I wrapped my caribou meat in it and it didnt come clean. Best $10 I ever spent!
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    I have always used the military weight polypros and love the zip down turtle neck shirt. Wash cold and hang dry to avoid piling. I have a couple of military poncho tarps also that will never die. Wear as a poncho, tarp or emergency shelter. I may throw one away finally this year cause I wrapped my caribou meat in it and it didnt come clean. Best $10 I ever spent!
    Sollybug if you like the old poly pro you will love the newest version! Here is a link to the newest clothing.

http://www.adsinc.com/gen-iii-ecwcs-level-II

The Poly Pro is a great affordable option. I use it all the time, under waders, under jeans or BDU type pants when working at the cabin, as a base layer in the winter, spring bear and fall hunts. Stuff is cheap and I would not doubt I have 15-20 sets as they seemed to have issued it to me many times and I have often bought new sets to loan visiting friends.

Military Gortex is not bad either. If you are in SE AK in heavy rains you won't love it but good weather hunting, at -25 when properly layered, or in lighter rains works just fine. Of if you can dry it out will work through the day pretty good. Pit zips and the pockets are awesome. When I go hunting I take a military gortex and HH Impertec for jackets, one is for wearing all the time the other in heavy rains.

I have been wearing the old style black ECWS fleece jacket for a lot of years and love them. They are great for layering with a vest or raincoat. As with the ECWS jackets the pit zips are real handy. I like them so much I even paid for one recently when the last of Uncle’s gave out. I am unsure if the newer green ones are as good or not.
    One source: http://www.omahas.com/product_info.p...tjv4busisk60a1

Quote Originally Posted by iturner8 View Post
    Having recently read about 'budget concious' shopping for hunting gear, what opinions are out there on military issue gear for a flatland hunt or mountain hunt. Specifically, the 100% polypro 1/4 zip pull-overs and 100% polypro long underwear. What about rain ponchos? Pants? Socks?
    I use old poly pro as emergency clothing if I dip a snow machine into the lake, river, or overflow. Other than that, there are better choices regarding FIT. Polypro was never tailored for a normal human body, as already mentioned, it runs short, I never like the fit, or lifespan. The old fleece bibs and top are great stuff though. In my experience, anything made of "Polartec" has been excellent stuff. That's precisely what the Army did when they went to the new system. The mid weight "waffle" can go through more washings/dryings than I care to mention, and the silky base layer is also made of "Polartec". The New fleece jacket (green) is made of polartec too. It's high loft, and allows much more dexterity than the older Black bear suit fleece top (less bulky and more performance). That jacket is actually made of Polartec's highest warmth rating material, but lacks a wind barrier. With that said, I have a motherlode of BDU's ACU's DCU's, polypro and other crap that the Army didn't take back, you're more n welcome to some of it that I don't need or use anymore if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmitu View Post
    I have always used the military weight polypro and love the zip down turtle neck shirt. Wash cold and hang dry to avoid piling. I have a couple of military poncho tarps also that will never die. Wear as a poncho, tarp or emergency shelter.

550 cord
    If you can afford merino wool base layers I bet you will learn just how poort poly-pro performs. You also have the added benefit that it won't melt to your body if you fall in a fire.

Some of the new military gear seems to be improved as far as wet weather shells etc. That said most of the miltary infantry I have talked to set up real tents at some point with heaters as needed to get dry by. There is a reason that the special ops guys are not issued the same gear as a GI. The old gore-tex junk is the best thing going if your goal is to not get the wife to go out fishing with you anymore. Standing in the rain all day is tough enough, doing it in a jacket that leaks is just miserable!