Thread: Peters Creek Float..need info!

Default Peters Creek Float..need info!

Looking to do a spring (Late May early June) 10 day float trip from the Roadhouse down to the mouth. I have not been able to get a good estimate of the FPS for this creek. Does anyone have any experience on this trip? Can anyone advise me on places to stop and fish for grayling, trout etc..(holes) or any information on picking up a brown or black bear during this timeframe along this route.

Thanks for any and all info....either post here or PM me. I know 10 days seems a long time on this stretch..but just want to get out and enjoy the time with friends.

We might continue the float down once we dump in and get picked up and one of the strips south of there or continue down. Still figuring timeframe...but know we have 10-12 days to play with.

Thanks again
    DH01
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Thumbs up

Relatively easy trip putting in at Forks Roadhouse... only a day or overnight in terms of time-line if taking out at Shulin Lake access. More take out options include extending run down to the Kahiltna into Yentna or to Big Su for float/wheel plane or boat pick-up.

May/June will be OK on water levels (not best clarity) and flat lousy on fishing in terms of #s and size. You'll discover that good, easy, spacious, and comfortable camping spots are a bit limiting along much of this stretch. Good Black Bear hunting in the lower creek area, while Brown Bear is so-so until salmon runs progress upstream on upper reaches well above Roadhouse.

I can point you in the right directions as far as doing a complete Peters Creek Float. Keep in mind, 10-12 days is an extended stay for what is essentially a day trip to first take-out through max 5-dayer running further on down. There are better choices with good hunting prospects, and greater fishing opportunities very close by, with more practical logistics, without breakin' the bank.

What boat or boats are you planning to use?
    How many on the float trip?

Duckhunter, watch the boulder gardens. If you have a boat with a narrow footprint you should be okay, but there are some really narrow sections on that river for a standard round boat or cataraft. Be prepared to do some draggin in the lower section.

Thanks...I could see them on Google earth..lots of them further down the creek. Bottome line is I have 10-12 days to float a river..thought we could spend some time on this one and really work the area about half way down and concentrate on the area around Shulin Lake. If you have any other ideas or anyone else does in ref to another river in the 16A/B area that would be a good run for blacks or browns...let me know. I am game and can fly in and fly out if needed. We just though the ease of being launched from a road system would be easier on the gear and wallet..but we are open to anything.

Thanks
    DH
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Check your inbox. Sent you a pm