Thread: Cabin Roof

Default Cabin Roof

i am trying to decide which route to take for building my cabin roof, cabin is 24x32 with half loft and 4' pony wall for the loft. i am trying to decide if i want to use BCI joists or build my own trusses at the location. i want an 8/12 pitch i think.

Get ahold of DirtofAK. Mike has a great design for site built trusses. If you cabin has a 8/12 pitch you are looking at 18' long 11 7/8 BCI 5000's. I don't know if hauling 18' lumber is an issue for you. Most vendors don't sell less than 20' BCI's, but you can buy 36'ers and cut them in half. Snow load will be right around 90#/sqft with that size BCI on 24" centers. The same snow load can be achieved with DougFir 2x12's. Both will need a load supporting ridge beam and that is going to be fun with your 32' long length. You can do away with a load bearing ridge beam if you can get a collar tie down within the lower 1/3 of your rafter height, but that won't leave much head room in the room. Site built trusses eliminate those issues.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I am just curious what people usually do if they use BCI's as to how they attach to the top of the wall and also on the top of a ridge beam. I don't know if there are brackets or if the BCI's have to be cut or what. I can probably haul up to 24' material. Thanks

You really need to get ahold of a BCI installation guide. SBS should have them available at their contractor counters. I'm sure you can get them online, too. Those will spell it out clearly.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I used the BCI's and they worked great, there are brackets to hold both ends, just get a TECO nailer to make the job easier, there are a lot of nails to put into the brackets.

Having just finished a cabin using rafters that were green fir, I would use the BCI's. WAY easier to deal with and they are straight. The fastners are easy to use. I think a Teco nailer would be very useful as well.