Thread: Squid Fishing in PWS?

Default Squid Fishing in PWS?

I've run across a couple of articles about people catching squid in PWS. I'm reluctant to admit that I've tried it several times and have yet to catch any. I fish the Port of Valdez, carry large lights and use glow-in-the-dark squid jigs. Does anyone have squid fishing info. that they could share? It would be greatly appreciated!

You've done better than me, I have squid jigs on the boat, but have never given them a try. One of these days...

what do you get when you have a sound w/ only 2 entrances to the ocean and a gauntlet of about 26 humpbacks patrolling, (oh wait 25, I forgot about the states incident) 24/7?

You guessed it NO CALAMARI FOR YOU!
    Last edited by fullbush; 02-10-2011 at 09:11. Reason: forgot about the adf&g's whale seining trip

A friend of a friend lived in Valdez and was able to catch some once - I saw the pictures - Bought all the Jigs to try fishing but have yet to even spend the time trying. It is on my list of things to do while in the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    A friend of a friend lived in Valdez and was able to catch some once - I saw the pictures - Bought all the Jigs to try fishing but have yet to even spend the time trying. It is on my list of things to do while in the sound.
    There also used to be one of the largest bio-masses of herring in the world there as well (i too have pictures), 11.5 million gallons of crude plus multitudes (hordes) of whales and sea lions make darn sure that theres no kaznoko for you, let alone calamari
    the emperor has to resort to sub-par sitka product
    So get the squid idea outta your head I tell ya

I have spent several days & nights out in the sound jigging for squid. With no luck. The incident that got me started was one day something grabbed a herring I was jigging and tugged on it for a second or two. When I pulled it up to check the bait it looked like a squid had dug its claws into the side of it. One of these days.

If what grabbed your herring, giten, did leave beak marks, my money is on an octopus rather than squid. They're very similar animals, and have the similar beak structures. Obviously, lots of them in PWS, too.

squid have a cat-like claw in the center of each sucker, i believe that may be what giten-a-life was referring to.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    I've run across a couple of articles about people catching squid in PWS. I'm reluctant to admit that I've tried it several times and have yet to catch any. I fish the Port of Valdez, carry large lights and use glow-in-the-dark squid jigs. Does anyone have squid fishing info. that they could share? It would be greatly appreciated!
    CCC, If you have any links to the articles, please post them. There have been a number of threads/questions on here over the years about squid fishing in the Sound, but nobody ever reported anything to get me thinking about gearing up and giving it a try.

We have caught them seineing in the sound, but that was pre-spill years.Maybe a dozen in a set.Not sure thats enough to warrent any jigging interest and was a loooooong time ago,Sure was good calamari

Over the years I have had halibut, ling cod, and yellow eye rock fish spit them out. Most of the places that I saw them where next to real deep water in the 600ft range. I once saw 1 in the Valdez small boat harbor that was on the surface. I thought it was a bird but upon a closer look it was a squid. There was a few caught several years ago near Anderson Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    There also used to be one of the largest bio-masses of herring in the world there as well (i too have pictures), 11.5 million gallons of crude plus multitudes (hordes) of whales and sea lions make darn sure that theres no kaznoko for you, let alone calamari
    the emperor has to resort to sub-par sitka product
    So get the squid idea outta your head I tell ya
    Let me be sure I understand your point - Are you saying there are no squid in PWS?

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    Let me be sure I understand your point - Are you saying there are no squid in PWS?
    thats pretty much what I'm saying. There may be a few stragglers but a bio-mass like south east? nope the whales won't have it

The sablefish we pull out of PWS regularly have squid inside them, but we're catching them at 2,000'. I've seen a handful over the years at the surface when pulling gear at night under lights, but only one or two at a time.

It took a while to track down the pictures - Friends of a friend - Squid caught at 150 feet in 500 feet of water in the Valdez arm in October. They are on my list of things to catch.

Default yep there are squid in PWS

We were catching squid in under 200 ft of water in the middle of sept 2010.
    About 8 miles out of Whittier on the left where all the silver salmon action is.