Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow conditions near the Rex?

Default Snow conditions near the Rex?

Anyone live near the Rex that can give a snow report?

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

AKmud,

The trail is in pretty good shape. They haven't got a lot of snow this year, to the point where I'm still running my wheeler on the trapline. There has been a lot of truck traffic most of the way back to the first river (people cutting firewood), but beyond that just me and a few other people hunting. I run back to the second river, and the trail is great to that point.

Ted
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

Tiss the season of the wind. Just word to the wise Mud if your coming check the forecast we had some decent drifting going on yesterday and the trail is not get a free pass on the out miles can be a little dicey.

Thanks for the info, we will definitely be keeping an eye on the weather. We are trying to figure out the best mode of transportation at this point. Miles would be much easier on snowmachines but the wheelers would be easier to handle a load and they don't need snow for cooling...
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Has the snow been replenished after the thanksgiving thaw?

Hello Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Has the snow been replenished after the thanksgiving thaw?
    Yes, it's snowed a few times since then. They just got 4 inches last week.
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

FYI--You are probably aware of this, but there is nothing open anywhere near the Rex Trail until the two day season at the end of the month. Troopers issued five tickets (confiscated 5 moose, snowmachines, rifles, etc.) this past saturday alone, for hunters taking antlerless moose in zones closed to hunting. They are working the area with snowmachines and an airplane. Trail is usually pretty decent for snowmachines , and sometimes for quads, at least to 2nd river, but all bets are off for quads beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by Riflemaker View Post
    FYI--You are probably aware of this, but there is nothing open anywhere near the Rex Trail until the two day season at the end of the month. Troopers issued five tickets (confiscated 5 moose, snowmachines, rifles, etc.) this past saturday alone, for hunters taking antlerless moose in zones closed to hunting. They are working the area with snowmachines and an airplane. Trail is usually pretty decent for snowmachines , and sometimes for quads, at least to 2nd river, but all bets are off for quads beyond that.
    Yep, that two day opening is what we are making plans for. Thanks for the info though.
    AKmud

Is it just a rumor that the 2 zones with 2 day seasons are not going to open this year? Doesn't seem worth it to me to open them anyway. If you haven't already a call to F&G would be good. Sleds are the better way to go if you don't want to be stuck hunting the trails.

Mod let's do it I will have bronco prepped ready to go... I know you aren't doing anything

yeah just in time for another 40 below run. weeee

So your on board??? Lol as you know I'm serious too I can take a 3 day pass!

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    yeah just in time for another 40 below run. weeee
    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    You two can go have a sweet trip in that -40 stuff without me! I am currently enjoying the +30 weather down here.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    You two can go have a sweet trip in that -40 stuff without me! I am currently enjoying the +30 weather down here.
    RTB called they want there RANGER tab back...

The Rex Trail's currently in decent shape.

I thought I'd add a partial update, however, following the two-day hunt.

As is to be expected, and not too dissimilar from recent years past, (unfortunately) a number of less-than-respectful folks 'visited' the Goldking area for the two-day hunt.

Several snowmachiners camped at the intersection of the Rex and a by-pass trail immediately to the east of the Rex's crossing of Goldking Creek. They left plastic wrappers, tin foil, cans, and socks strewn about their camp area in the middle of the trail, apparently thinking it was okay to litter in someone's back yard. To exacerbate the issue, they built their camp fire (bon fire would be more accurate) in the MIDDLE of the trail, leaving scant room for local folks to pass with a frieght load after the 'criminal campers' departed.

They also cut down standing green spruce to burn in ~8 ft. lengths, rather than taking advantage of the outrageous amount of already-downed spruce laying about on those intersecting cut-lines.

It should've been obvious to almost -any- person that these are trails..

In they end, they receive an 'F' for being poor citizens and unwelcome visitors. I can only ponder what their reaction would be if such behavior were exhibited in their backyards?

BTW, their prints are on some of their trash. And since they -easily- hauled in their trash when it contained the goods it previously held, I can think of no acceptable reason they couldn't haul it out.. who ever they are.. Which isn't necessarily hard to find out, since the Troopers I.D.ed a number of persons hunting in the area during that period.

In addition, a person(s) was/were reportedly 'cited' after shooting a cow and calf, (both of which were illegal) and reportedly harvesting the calf's meat, but only taking two hind-quarters from the cow...

I'd truly like for those responsible for the massive littering to either, a.) ride back out there and clean up their messes (that's how we were taught to do it in kindergarten), b.) pay the $1,000.00 fine (or what ever amount it is) that corresponds to such antics (per person and per incident), or c.) pay a purposefully inflated hourly rate to those persons who will inevitably pick up after such ... um... 'hunters.' That would be pretty much the same persons who pick up after such 'persons' each year out there..

All of this is in addition to the folks who poached a moose a number of weeks ago near the inter-tie on the Rex (2' off the trail, in plain view), and the folks busted that Riflemaker may have already mentioned.

For those who hunted and acted responsibly, whether successful or not; thank you. For those who hunted and contributed to the outrageously inconsiderate issues I referenced above; there are more than a few folks who hope you never come back, and who -may- do their best to see to it that you're nailed for your irresponsible behaviors.

Thanks for the report Mr Ruffle,

Always bad to hear about inconsiderate people and poachers. I have a track rig and was thinking about checking out the REX trail, did you see any predators while out. Would be open to hauling some freight for anyone that might need it on my way in. Don't have a trailer for snow but could pull one for someone.

This is my rig.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Nice rig, Steve. I can ask around about folks needing anything hauled out there that'd be of the more compact variety.

Last time I was out that way there had been some lynx and wolves in the outlying areas, a ways off from the main thoroughfare(s).

Thanks for the offer. The local folks out that way (as is the case in nearly any remote location) always appreciate offers of transport. It's one of the most expensive aspects of living that lifestyle.

Steve, I checked with the folks I visit with when I'm out there (long-time friends), and they said to tell you they appreciate the offer, but there's nothing at this time they need transported. But thanks for the offer. ;^>)

Mr Ruffle,

Thanks so much for checking. Where would be a good place for me to park while on the trail?

I can promise you that I'm respectful and don't want to upset anyone. Would just like to maybe have a chance at a wolf and do some calling.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast