Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmets or why I can't breathe!

Default Helmets or why I can't breathe!

I over heat while playing really easily, no big deal shed some layers. Bigger issue is my touring helmet, 15 minutes in powder or hill climbing and I am completely out of breath! I am in good shape and frankly do fine without a brain bucket, however I am not riding without one! The rebreather is wonderful for COLD temps on the trail but I think I may need a secound helmet for play time. The other issue is, well like I said I over heat so my beard has frozen to the inside of my helmet more than once. I look rediculous driving home with it on but letting it thaw is about my only option. What helmet do you guys like for playtime or is any good motorcross style helmet good? How about gogles that work well with glasses?
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I have had the same experience. I usually wear a modular helmet from SkiDoo. I have a huge head XXXL and could go bigger. It is great for most everything, but when I start to work hard and sweat it is not so great. I am considering a motocross style one for playing (all my friends wear them), but then again with the modular I can shoot, eat and drink or carry on a conversation without taking it off.

Most moto cross style helmets work fine even with the re breather for the colder temps. As for the goggles and glasses you can match them up or just spend the money on a pair of prescription snow goggles a number of companies offer them. I know oakley is one that does. just some options.
    He who don't float. Don't follow the ARGO!

For warm temps I wear a motocross helmet and sunglasses. (Spring riding)

For cold temps, motocross helmet with balaclava, No-Fog mask and goggles. With this combination I have zero exposed skin on my face or neck and my goggles don't fog. The No-Fog mask keeps you from fogging, keeps the wind off your mouth and nose, and even mildly humidifies your air. I won't ride without it in cold temps any more.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

The Irondog setup with the open face helmet, full face mask and a no-fog is the only way to go. I have tried the modulars to heavy and hot but decent in the extreme cold. The motorcross way too cold when well below zero but decent when warm. The Irondog setup has worked for me at -45 (with no tape) and can also be worn on the atv in the summer. I was skeptical at first until I stated to wear it and now I will never go back. One helmet that works for everything and you can get one for $100 for a basic HJC model or $300 for the Shoei.

Thanks guys! Gald I am not the only one who has had this problem.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Another moto-x helmet and No-Fog guy here. I've never had a moto-x helmet be too cold with a hood sock, No-Fog, goggles and the helmet I own. Then again, if it's below -20F I'm generally not riding anyway.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Motorcross and goggles all the way! Quick straps are a must also. As soon as you stop for any length of time pop the goggles off so they don't fog and strap them back up as you take off again. Works like a charm and you can still wear a full facemask under it. I have to have some sort of substantial chin/face protection.....catching the windshield, handlebars or even a branch in the chops is very unpleasant.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

i have a bv2s and i would say if your claustrophobic not to get one, its great for cold cold weather tho, and the clarity of the shields is unmatched!

Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Another moto-x helmet and No-Fog guy here. I've never had a moto-x helmet be too cold with a hood sock, No-Fog, goggles and the helmet I own. Then again, if it's below -20F I'm generally not riding anyway.
    Me three on this set up although I find myself riding in temps colder than -20 despite having it written down on my "To Don't" checklist.

My set up:
    Polaris MX style helmet $79 (end of season clearance) $49
    Quik-Straps $25
    Turtle Fur (thin fleece) balaclava $12 (at 6th Ave Outfitters)
    No-Fog mask $49
    Smith/Scott Turbo (basic double-lens) goggles $25

So for $160 to $200 you can get the whole shebang.

Remember!!! DO NOT BUY A HELMET YOU HAVE NOT TRIED ON FIRST
    In my experience snowmachine helmets run small. I've got a normally largish head (7 3/8 hat size) and I wear a XXL helmet.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Default Given up on helmets...

I have given up on helmets... I put on 4000 to 5000 miles a winter, most of it below zero, and have spent over $1500 in helmets, the latest the BV2S or whatever it is for $450 bucks at AMDS. With glasses, it's impossible. About a month ago I switched to wearing a couple of thick balaclava's with a good pair of goggles and neck scarf or sock. Now I can finally see, and breathe! The kicker was buying a taller windshield for my machines. If you can keep the wind off your head, it's dramatic the difference in how warm a guy can stay. I'm going to use the furs I trapped this winter to make me a full head, face and neck set up.

I'm not a mountain rider (although I love the passes and staying in the bottom) so me not choosing to wear a helmet probably won't increase my chances of getting hurt by too much, and since my visibility is so much better, it's probably safer.

I ride with Erik a lot, and he somehow makes his set up work, and I've never heard him complain, so his set up must be a good one, considering the temps I've ridden with him in. One particular day at nearly 60 below for 70 miles...

If anyone wants a nearly new XL BV2S, take it off my hands for $250.... or trade me for a fur hat....

Good Luck!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    I have given up on helmets... I put on 4000 to 5000 miles a winter, most of it below zero, and have spent over $1500 in helmets, the latest the BV2S or whatever it is for $450 bucks at AMDS. With glasses, it's impossible. About a month ago I switched to wearing a couple of thick balaclava's with a good pair of goggles and neck scarf or sock. Now I can finally see, and breathe! The kicker was buying a taller windshield for my machines. If you can keep the wind off your head, it's dramatic the difference in how warm a guy can stay. I'm going to use the furs I trapped this winter to make me a full head, face and neck set up.

I'm not a mountain rider (although I love the passes and staying in the bottom) so me not choosing to wear a helmet probably won't increase my chances of getting hurt by too much, and since my visibility is so much better, it's probably safer.

I ride with Erik a lot, and he somehow makes his set up work, and I've never heard him complain, so his set up must be a good one, considering the temps I've ridden with him in. One particular day at nearly 60 below for 70 miles...

If anyone wants a nearly new XL BV2S, take it off my hands for $250.... or trade me for a fur hat....

Good Luck!
    Claude

boy thats a good deal on a bv2s! someone should snap it up! very warm helmet, i only wear mine in 0f or less.. mx helmet rest the time. or none.

if i remember right i payed close to 500$ for my bv2s!
    Semper Fi!

Count me in as one who is still wrestling with this issue due to my glasses. Open face helmet and goggles has been the only thing that comes close to working. Still not perfect though.
    Is there a particular brand or style of no fog masks that works best? So far the nose flap on my balaclava seems to hurt more than help.

i too agree the best set up is an open face with balaclava and no-fog face mask, works good at 20 above and 40 below... this is the setup i use from leisure riding to cross country racing to huckin it off cornices in the backcountry and it works great, i never wear my glasses under my goggles so i just rip around all blurry lol, i needa get contacts or prescription goggles though... best thing about it is open face helmets are the cheapest, anywhere from 30-50 bucks usually and in my experience they work better than anything on the market... no-fog usa is the brand that makes the no-fogs you should be able to find em at most sled dealers in alaska(arctic cat has them rebranded with arctic cat logo on them same thing though also), they are very popular... stay away from anti-fog spray and wipes and crap like that, that stuffs all gimmicks and u still fog up no matter how much that stuff u spray or wipe on...

here's couple pics of my gear set up

i put on my nofog first then a balaclava over that

and then i never fog up ever and never get frost bite like this...

my buddy uses this same set up and he wears his glasses under his goggles, i've never tried it though, seems too uncomfortable and i can still manage without them, however in a few years that will probably change and then i'll be looking into contacts or prescription goggles, prescription goggles would definitly be the best way to go, can get em for cheap from some places too...

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post

Good Luck!
    Claude
    Claude, ol' buddy, since you can't bear to have anything in your eye (contacts) you should consider glasses with anti-fog lenses.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Thanks Franklin that was extremely helpful! Gunther froze today So I set him up with something very similar on the way home, now it's my turn.

Claude I do hill climb, jump, go way too fast on lakes......kinda nutz on my sled to be honest so no helmet is not an option. I do however share your dislike of anything near my eyes! I am leaning twords prescription goggles, I'll repost if I get a set.
    BHA Member

AKmud, ordered a set for Gunther, I'll get me a set as soon as I know if I can find a yellow and black helmet I like. Thanks again!
    BHA Member

I use my snowcross helmet for river rides, Got a fly helmet with quick straps and scott goggles. Wear a medium thickness baclava and sometimes a no fog, however my dad(ex irondog racer) uses the open face helmet with the quickstap, baclava and no fog. Pretty shure the helmet is a shoei.
    The openface the the most practical I think, but I have to use my SnowX helmet more in the mountians. My dad still uses the open in the mountains and doesnt complain about overheating really.(He wears glasses too) So I would deff look into those openfaces.

Just a question to anyone... Does anyone know were to get a pair of gogglesthat cover over the nose like what the irondog gets? PM me
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Just a question to anyone... Does anyone know were to get a pair of gogglesthat cover over the nose like what the irondog gets? PM me

From the Scott site - http://www.scott-sports.com/us_en/ca...le_accessories
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Smith was the only one that carried the full face mask but I think scott has one out there now too. Anchorage Cat/Suzuki used to carry the Smith setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast