Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever Wonder Why???

Default Ever Wonder Why???

Just for starters, no disrespect is intended for anyone, but i just can't help, but wonder....

Why so many dreamers, malcontents, misfits and otherwise habitually impractical people post here about relocating to Alaska when they scarcely seem to have a dime to their name and slim-to-no prospects of compiling the resources to actually achieve their dream. I read here the sad-sack stories of having little money and other resources where they currently reside in the lower48, but yet seem to think they're going to strike the mother lode if only they can get up north.

Is this just the modern day continuation story of those who first arrived in Alaska during the Gold Rush hoping to get rich? For these modern day pioneers, maybe, not even necessarily rich as it used to be defined, but, just, escape from life's responsibilities as modern society seems to close in around them?

I read the stories of folks wanting relocation here and can't afford to first come up and look around or can't afford to move one's belongings or can't afford a few thousand buck for a 3 month nest egg to get started up here and I can't help but scratch my head and wonder how they're going to make it up here if they haven't been able to get their sh$t together wherever they're coming from.

Is it just me out here reading some of these incredulous posts and wondering what the hell?

R Walter
    Point well made, but I kind of admire the guy with nothing.

As long as he's not gonna be a burden on society and he plans on eating ramen noodles, living in his car, and working his ass off.

I waited to long now I'm stuck with to much stuff I can't move. Home, vacation properties(no ones buying), kids, career. Now I've got to much equity in the properties and I'm to frugal to want to lose any of it. So here I sit -my fate in the hands of my stuff.

How does anyone make it anywhere they happen to light? They just do...Time waits for nobody. Just Do It!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by redneckgirl View Post
    R Walter
    Point well made, but I kind of admire the guy with nothing.

As long as he's not gonna be a burden on society and he plans on eating ramen noodles, living in his car, and working his ass off.
    I hope folks don't dream that they will begin working their ass off only when they happen to alight in Alaska. If they haven't started already, they're not likely to start once they get to Alaska. But, then again, if they show up in Alaska and are a burden on Alaska's limited resources, then, it's likely they were already a burden whereever they came from.

R Walter
    I waited to long now I'm stuck with to much stuff I can't move. Home, vacation properties(no ones buying), kids, career.
    You can probably trade one of your vacation properties down south for something up here if you put your mind to it. Especially with it paid off and nothing but equity in it.

I haven't taken it that way. Alaska represents in real and imaginary ways the last fronteer, where people can have the opportunity to make of their life what they want. So when people have those dreams, and they are somewhat practicle, they start researching how they can achieve that dream. Really this forum is a wonderful resource and reality check. When we moved up 14 years ago, there was no such resource to learn about the reality and costs of living in Alaska. Fortunately we had traveled to Alaska twice before we moved up, and we weren't penniless or w/o employment. So I can relate to the dream of others and wanting to know what it takes to make it happen.

I wonder if you've been watching that Discovery Channel show about the gold miners that came up from Oregon?

I'd say most people that move up to Alaska contribute to the state, and there are plenty of Alaskans that take up resources and don't contribute to the state.

Everyone has a dream. Sometimes we get in a rut and decide to make that dream a reality, suddenly we work harder and become more determined to overcome our obstacles.

R Walter
    Home, vacation properties(no ones buying), kids, career. Now I've got to much equity in the properties and I'm to frugal to want to lose any of it. So here I sit -my fate in the hands of my stuff.
    For your information. The Federal Government has a push to get folks to retire early. Especially folks that are on the old pension system and qualify for the age slots - retired at 55 with full pension. The FAA, as well as other agencies are needing to reduce their payrolls so they offer the early outs to folks that have the pension. Those with the newer 401k style retirement plans are SOL and will work till their dead like the rest of us.

The problem for a lot of Alaskans in Federal jobs is that their COLA does not apply to their pension amount. When they retire the 25% (used to be) COLA is gone and now they are having to live on a very reduced monthly payout. If they planned for it they have no debt upon retirement. If they followed the American credit dream of the 1990's they need a job if they plan on retiring in Alaska to pay off their spending habits from the last 20 years.

How does this help you? Quite a few of these folks need a cheaper place to live when on their pension. They sell their over valued over mortgaged home up here and head for someplace in the L48 where their dollar goes farther. So if you want to sell your stuff you might want to look into marketing those properties to people with thick wallets that are tired of the cold and darkness.

How do you do that? I have no idea. There might be some local realestate brokers up here that have clients looking for something.

The two coworkers of mine that are doing this started shopping over two years ago. One has nice TN hill wood lot with a bad logging road access he plans on fixing in the next couple of years with vacation trips (lots of permitting as well to change the driveway/road). The house on the site is really nice.
    The other guy went with the vacation "cabin" on a bass fishing lake someplace in MO for a retirement home. He is from the area so knew of the property well before he came up here 30 years ago. Since he owns his house up here free and clear, the small mortgage for the cabin is not an issue. The several other folks are all planning on staying and skiing, hunting, and fishing themselves into the grave.

R Walter, was this thread aimed at me ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbarr View Post
    Absolutely not... culmination of many threads over several years....

That's funny Rumbarr, you are the guy I thought of too, BUT you are just one of MANY that come up with the idea,
    and post on here asking about the reality of the dream, or just come on up hoping, from that position.

Don't be swayed, A LOT of folks come up from some place of desperation or another, it's almost normal to encounter them.
    I like your attitude, hope you make it.

I think, in response to the OP, it's fairly common that people dream of Alaska and never move on it until "life hits the fan" somewhere and they see this as their chance to just go for it.

You should see the Commercial Fishing industry, deckhands looking for jobs, I mean,
    how many come up, ask for a job, looking real motivated, then have to ask for a Draw on their upcoming wages, to purchase their first set of Raingear, or even their Comm Fishing License.
    More common than you would believe.

Too much of the Deadliest Catch type stuff ?? Maybe, but it's a dream a lot of folks apparently have

Interestingly enough, a lot of them make it that way. It's all about the motivation, not the background.

Sometimes Desperate circumstances provide the humility and motivation needed to "Get It Going in Alaska"
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I was one of those dreamers, all I did was dream about it. One day I said what the hell and bought an acre in SC AK. Now I'm slowly buying all the equipment, getting contact numbers of bush planes, boats, and lodges. Was hoping to go up this summer but looks like next summer. Want to build a cabin someday, but I have time I'm 25.

Thanks Kodiak for the words of encouragement =)

I understand where the OP is coming from though, however in my case I wouldn't just make the jump blindfolded . Flying up before hand, like some of you did is not an option, I hate flying ( scared to death of it ) lol, just to scope things out . It's not some dream also in my case, I always wanted to be up north but stayed where I am due to family, friends and women =( hehe .

I'm not getting any younger and at somepoint in time will make this move (maybe this summer or sooner ) . I'm aware of the trials that lay ahead and this forum has given me so much knowledge, I kinda feel like an Alaskan already but I assure you, I don't fall in the category of broke, malcontent etc.... however *misfit * yea thats me sometimes hehe =)

Thanks for ideas for the propertites. Worth looking into for sure! Hey, I'll even throw in a sweet conversion van!

And Rumbarr-Go..Go now before your roots get to deep!

There's a sad thing that happens in Southcentral. Familes move up from urban, gang-ridden places hoping to keep their children out of trouble not realizing that their children bring that trouble with them. You see this a lot in Anchorage.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    There's a sad thing that happens in Southcentral. Familes move up from urban, gang-ridden places hoping to keep their children out of trouble not realizing that their children bring that trouble with them. You see this a lot in Anchorage.
    Gangs a problem in Anchorage ? This is just one of several things I am trying to get away from down here, I think there is at least one murder, rape , armed robbery a day here . The house I live in since 86 was always a nice area, still is but I seen the decline over the past 3 years. In fact back in Aug of 09 someone stole the tailgate off my pickup, first time ever being robbed .

Gangs a problem in Anchorage ?
    It is a problem for the police, politicians, highschool administrators, rental property owners and managers, and drug users. A quick review of my pay stubs, IRS forms and health records tell me I am none of those so I am not impacted directly by gangs. There is a large BUT coming to this though.

For years (decades really) the political system up here did not want to admit there were gangs in Anchorage, or Alaska. The reason why is that nothing was going on with the gangs, since at the time they were primarily teenagers and young adults just acting tough against each other. Nobody was getting shot, but buildings were getting tagged and kids were getting into fights in school. The kids did not have the street power to do anything. There were gang related "jobs" for them to work on.

At some point someone, adults more likely from out of state, came up and started using the the established groups to move drugs. This increased the gang on gang violence since it now involved money. People started getting shot. Bystanders started getting shot at a rate of one or two a year. Some were killed. This is the BUT part for Joe Public since he can be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Usually at night. Usually near where some drinking was going on. However, since I don't hang out at bar parking lots at closing time when all the tough kids stop staring at each other and start fighting I will likely never be shot by a gang member.

This morning a DA and the senior gang investigator admited on the news that there are just over 500 known gang members in Anchorage. These are the ones that have been arrested and processed for some reason. They made it clear that the politics of the town for years didn't want to let this type of information out.

Some history. Way back in 1986 one of my peers in college in Fairbanks worked as a crew supervisor for a youth offender work program. They picked up trash along the highways and then went back to the facility at night. Of his crew of 8, one was from Alaska. The other 7 were from California. They were sent to Fairbanks by their parents and grand parents to live with a sibling or cousin that was in the military. The hope was that they would stay out of trouble in Alaska. Yet there they were on a teenage offender work crew completing their public service hours. Three of the boys were actual LA gang members and wore their colors. The other 4 were not LA gang members but were planning on joining once they went back home. This was 1986 and the kids got in trouble in 1985 and didn't start their public service hours until months later, and the politicians said there were no gangs in Alaska until the early 1990's. Right.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post

Thanks for the reality check. Never really thought of that, being rural and all -gangs and crime have never been a problem and I don't think about it much. We're just 45 min from a major city, guess we're pretty lucky. The high school still has "drive your tractor to school day"! Have to be thankful for what I have!

Gangs aren't a day-to-day problem in Anchorage, not like they seem to be in other places. 95% of the violence seems to be between like minded individuals, the same way that bar fights are usually between drunks in a bar. Anchorage is a pretty small city only about 250,000 and of course, we can carry concealed without a permit. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of stranger-on-stranger crime here.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Here's the difference I see, some places in the lower 48 their is almost a caste system. If your family hasn't been in the area for 100 years you aren't going to thrive. There are opportunities to make good money in AK. You've got fishing, mining, slope work, construction all of which is a whole lot more money than working at 7-11. You can still live hand to mouth in Ak ie stready Eddie government jobs but opportunites are there to make a big chunk of cash in a short time. Dream big!! Make it big
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast