Thread: Anyone shooting a TC pro hunter for sheep hunting?

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

Default Anyone shooting a TC pro hunter for sheep hunting?

I am looking into buying a Pro Hunter primaraly for sheep hunting but had concerns on the wieght. So does anyone have a opinion on them good or bad. I was looking at a 7mm barrel for it, is there a better caliber? And if you are shooting what type of optics do you have on it or recomend. Thanks for all your help and info.

I borrowed a TC Encore (same basic gun) in 308 and resighted it. Nikon 3x9 on top and it is 3 for 3 on head shots on moose. 180 grain coreloks if you're wondering. It's a tack driver but I would look at lighter guns for a sheep rifle.

I had the pro hunter (243) also with a nikon scope. Wouldnt hold its zero (gun not the scope) TC from what Ive heard are good to deal with and Im sure would have fixed the gun but I traded it off. Odd as it might sound I liked the gun well enough that I would buy another.

Don't hunt sheep, knees are shot, but if I could ,My TC would go .I don't think you can find a lighter frame, the weight is in the stock barrel combo, and there are many after market combos out here.
    Alex

While I have not used a T/C Pro Hunter on sheep, for years i have been considering shooting a ram with my T/C Contender pistol in 30/30.
    Sounds like a great idea to me.
    dennis

Thanks guys for the info. Dennis that would be awesome, but i am going to try and get one before i get creative. I did put in for the eklutna archery only hunt though so we shall see. I like disapointment apparently and the thrill of the chase.

Default pro hunter

I have a pro hunter in .300win with a 4x12 VIII bc retical on top of it and it is a tack driver.I have took everything from Grizzly,Blackies,Moose,Caribou,Goats,Sheep and blacktials with it.Its not a ultra light mountian gun but it's not to heavy to run around in the mountians.It is the only gun that scoped me though and boy did that feel good!They are great guns and the best part is the interchangeable barrels,alot cheaper to buy a barrel than a new gun.Here is a few pics with the gun.

I can back Kotton up on his post as ive seen him in action with it.....that .300 wm TC is pretty awesome....I shot a grizzly with it myself.

Release Lake Trout

The contenders are great guns I have been shooting them since I was about nine but I have not shot the pro hunter just the original contender and the encore and both have great accuracy. I think these are great guns for kids just starting out they make several youth stocks also as stated earlier swaping out barrels is cheap and easy and its a gun they will never grow out of.

Thumbs up

I borrowed my wifes TC Encore Pro Hunter in .300WM to take on a spot and stalk spring black bear hunt last year. It carries very well, has a nice balance and wasn't that heavy at all. I really liked it. I'd take it sheep hunting in a heartbeat if she'll let me. Compared to my .338, it was super light feeling. The accuracy was good, but with a new locking type pivot pin replacing the stock one (has a teeny bit of slop), tightened her right up making it into a tack driver shooting 180's. Check out EABCO.com for great barrel options and prices. Including trigger jobs and all sorts of good TC stuff. It's a great gun. Rebarrelling costs around $300 and you have a new gun for either varmints, muzzle loader, shotgun, rimfire, you name it. They have just about every caliber between 22 and 416 for these things. Check 'em out.

Thanks everyone for the info. I ordered mine today in 300wm SS/synthetic with a thumbhole stock. I am going to put a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42BDC on it. I should get her by next weekend and we will see in May how much I like carrying it. Thanks again guys.