Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Hunting Partners Ever

Default Best Hunting Partners Ever

Seeing as we all have had a chance to vent about the dark side of our choice in hunting partners it seems only fitting we give the other side their due.

A few people come immediately to mind for me. A good friend of mine who I have shared many trips afield. He was in it for the hiking and adventure. Up the mountain down the mountain, rain sleet snow didn't matter just happy to be there. The kicker was he didn't want to shoot anything but would help pack anything I got. Dang, wish we still lived close together.

My 12 year old boy is the real deal. A true passion for anything outdoors. What more can a dad ask for than quality time in the field with his kid. The kicker there is he WANTS to spend time with his dad. That is not always the case with kids these days.

Last summer I had a couple guys from down south up for a deer hunt. A couple hours into the 4 hour climb through devils club on 60% slope. They look over at me and say "This is fun". I knew these guys were all right.

I had two guys come up from down south last season that were great partners. Organized, in shape, had all the gear, didn't complain, and were really good in the field.

To top it off, they were nice enough to shoot some of the first bucks they saw the first evening up on the mountain. The next morning I had my pick of the bucks that were all over the place, and ended up shooting a really big one. Great partners!

Hafta say my Dad no doubt about it. I can remember him carrying me on his shoulders into the woods when I was 3 years old. Got me my first bow when I was 4. He was with me or rather I was with him for alot of my firsts, first dove, turkey, deer,pheasant, and the list goes on and on. I always learned something when we went out even short trips after school. I always loved to go and 95% of the time I was always invited, as long as my grades were good.

I think the most awesome part of living and hunting here is that my Dad has the means to come up every fall and hunt with me. Watching him take his first Grizzly this past fall was one of the best experiences of my life. I like to think I caught a small glimpse into how he felt all those years ago when that first buck fell infront of my rifle, with him by my side.

My Grandad and Uncles are great partners as well. One uncle was beside me as I took my first bull elk, he downed one just moment later and all of us, Dad, Uncles, and cousins, made a party of getting those two bulls off that mountain. We all get along great and each has his own camp job, nobody complains and all is well. I feel really lucky on that count as I know some families don't work like that.

I've had and have a couple friends who were and are great hunting partners, never really went with guys I didn't like. Had some great times with those guys and hope for more to come. But when you boil it down I still say my Ol Man is my favorite hunting partner.

A guy that goes by the name of Carnivore on the hunting forum is a darn good hunting partner. Good conversation, good cribbage partner, good for a laugh, always cheerful, no matter the weather. Just watch out if he starts busting out the chili mac. Sorry Carnivore, but that stuff makes me sick man.

Default just one time he saved my bacon

Weather forecast says the snow is going to pile up tomorrow, and we're at a high altitude.

Next morning, we're the only hunters on the mountain (first clue, unnoticed...). Yay, the whole mountain is ours! (dumb...)

We head downhill on a nice wide path that's easy going. Even if it really does snow, we can find our way back to the truck, right? (second mistake)

We get hit, hard. Takes us an hour to decide to try to get back to camp, and already there's a foot of new snow, and looking behind we have only 20 feet visibility and in that space our tracks are already washed out/clean. We lose the trail and start to bushwhack.

This was a long time ago; before I wore contacts; so I've got glasses. They frost and freeze. I wipe'm clean and 2 seconds later they're frosted and froze again. Finally I just grab my buddy's coat and say Go, you steer us back. No vision for me.

We hit the ridgetop and stop to decide. He says go over the top. I say no way, that'll take us 15 miles until we hit that big road - not our camp; follow it left along the ridgetop until it flattens out and we're 1/4 mile ahead of there. He believes me, I hang onto his coat, and after 1/4 mile afterward still no truck.

We stop, walk left, then right 100 yards. There is my big chevy truck, with camper on the back. Saved.

Had I hunted alone that day it would have been my last. This is only one of a few times he saved my bacon, and I his. Hunted dozens of hunts together... my personal favorite funny one is called "The 3 stooges go hunting" but I only tell that one in person, its just too funny.

This hunt buddy of mine has gotten into lots of trouble with the law, and with wives & girlfriends, but is the best hunting buddy I've ever had. We'd do anything for each other, and each was the others' best man getting married. Lotta history, long time.

As a guide-outfitter conducting a few hunts for sheep, goats and brown bears, my best hunting partners -client/hunters- have been my clients from Minnisota or Michigan. Those working class guys grow up early in life, and grow up hunting, shooting, and fishing. They strive to work as hard as I do. They have been physically tough and emotionally focused on teamwork and success. Everything associated with rafting, camping, and hunting gets done fast and gets done right with those true outdoorsman in camp! And they all know the words to every rock&roll song ever recorded, which is important while rafting on the windy and rainey days.

I have several GREAT hunting partners. Guys who will work their tails off for nothing more than the opportunity to pack meat. Guys who will brave darkness, sideways rain, hurricane force winds, cliffs in caulk boots, stupid boat rides, devils club patches put there to make life living hell, extraordinarily long pack outs. Guys who will spend a night under a space blanket with you because there is no other choice and even take the far side of the fire. Guys who will give you the last of their food or water if you need it with no regard for themselves. Guys who enjoy watching each other succeed in a hunt as much as actually succeeding themselves. Guys who will let you use the last of their wet wipes because you ate too much lasagna mt house; while they themselves brave chapped asz for the duration of the hunt. Guys who are honest, crazy like me, and share the same passion and ethics I do. Guys who will laugh when you fall and bust your butt and then laugh again when they do the same over the same obstacle. Need I go on? They know who they are, and they deserve as much credit for every one of my success stories as I do.

I'd have to go with my dad on this one. I remember being in grade school and him coming to get me to out of class to go grouse hunting in N Minnesota. He would always say that I would learn more valuable lessons out in the woods in those couple of days than I would in class.
    I'll be remembering that one for when I have my own kids...
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Easy -- my wife! She hunts harder than I do, and puts up with me for weeks at a time in the tent during our bear and caribou hunts. During one particularly tough Kodiak bear hunt, we were nervously watching 70-plus mph winds shake our Arctic Oven tent throughout the night. She made the profound statement, "You know, if anyone is engaged to be married, they should go on a two-week bear hunt in a tent on Kodiak together. If they're still friends by the end of the hunt, then they should go ahead and get married. Otherwise...:-)".

The only downside of having her as my greatest hunting partner is sharing the transportation costs :-(. That doesn't help much.

I've been lucky to have had two great hunting partners. We never argue, except about whose going to pay each person is aways trying to pick up the check. Meat is always shared, packing always shared. I would rather not go than go with a meathead. If you have a good hunting partner cherish them they are hard to find.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

My wife too. The meat goes home to the same house and we never argue about who's paying for gas or who's truck we are going to take. She may put on a little makeup in the tree stand put she does it quietly and looks good in the pictures. I'd rather watch her shoot the animals than do it myself. There is nothing better than seeing the look on her face when she drops a bear in it's tracks or drills a moose. Can't wait for my kids to get old enough to watch them do the same.

Default Good Partners

ICB, that was a good way to put it. I like to laugh alot when in the woods. When the going gets tough it's time to crack stupid jokes, good hunting partners are the ones that can laugh just a little at my jokes.

Good hunting partners fart in the woods. If your too uptight hunting with another person not to fart, well it's just not gonna work out. Silly but true.

Another thing......sharing success is very important.

CtP you've been a great hunting partner. Too bad your moving. We'll get out again before you do.

Default fur starts flyn'

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpem' View Post
    My wife too. The meat goes home to the same house and we never argue about who's paying for gas or who's truck we are going to take. She may put on a little makeup in the tree stand put she does it quietly and looks good in the pictures. I'd rather watch her shoot the animals than do it myself. There is nothing better than seeing the look on her face when she drops a bear in it's tracks or drills a moose. Can't wait for my kids to get old enough to watch them do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf1 View Post
    Easy -- my wife! She hunts harder than I do, and puts up with me for weeks at a time in the tent during our bear and caribou hunts. During one particularly tough Kodiak bear hunt, we were nervously watching 70-plus mph winds shake our Arctic Oven tent throughout the night. She made the profound statement, "You know, if anyone is engaged to be married, they should go on a two-week bear hunt in a tent on Kodiak together. If they're still friends by the end of the hunt, then they should go ahead and get married. Otherwise...:-)".

The only downside of having her as my greatest hunting partner is sharing the transportation costs :-(. That doesn't help much.
    I envy you guys because whenever me and my wife have anything to do w/ tents and sleeping bags.... ahem, Lets just say, not much huntin gets done, but we're both plenty sore!

Well I doubt this thread goes 3 pages like the bad hunting partner thread, just proof that people would rather complain than give credit where credit is due.

I have been lucky enough to have hunted with a lot of folks. Never had a bad one. Many great ones.

Helps that a few of them don't have real jobs and can go at the drop of a hat as well mid-week or not all hunting season long and don have to wait for just a weekend.

My bro is a great hunting partner and we have had some serious adventures growing up, but as of late his family has taken precedence over doing too much hunting (as it should) but would jump at a chance to do another hunt with him.

My moose hunting buddies are great as well. I have hunted with 3 different guys off the forum here and they all went above and beyond to pull off the hunts.

But for me the best hunting partner is my wife. Able to get as much time as me off work and willing to put in the effort as well. Loves being outdoors as much as I do. Plus the zipping bags together option at night is a great perk as well. I hear what LoneWolf1 means about the only downside is you have to double the cost of transporation rather than divide it by two ;D But that is a price worth paying. Oh and the cost of buying gear doubles as well, but i wouldn't have it any other way.

Given the chance though I Would give up several hunts on a given season to go on a week long hunt with just my dad and brother.
    Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 02-10-2011 at 09:38.

Unfortunately for me my father wasn't into hunting/camping, but we did fish together a lot. It was always a great time whether or not we caught fish. One guy here on the forum who is a terrific hunting partner is akrstabout. He's got the right attitude, hunts hard, is always up to go hunting/fishing & his dog Nellie is one cool dog.
    "What lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside of you."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

First credit would have to go to my dad and brother. They taught me so much in my younger years, and my brother really stretched me as I hit my late teens and prepared me for my later hunting adventures when I wouldn't have someone more experienced to fall back on.

I've been hunting quite a bit with my nephew the past few years, and I have really enjoyed that as well. He's always eager, willing to take advice, has an incredibly good attitude when things don't work out as we had hoped, and is just all-around good company.

My favorite, though, would also have to be my wife. There's something to be said about sharing a small tent in the mountains with someone you want to cuddle with rather than avoid. My wife is a stronger hiker than I am, she appreciates being out in the wild so much that she just exudes joy, she loves learning, is willing to go without the comforts of home, and is quite a proficient shot. I still like my solo hunts and forays with the boys, but there's nobody I'd rather be hunting with than my wife.

This one is easy. My son. I think our first Kodiak deer hunt he was about 13 and we spent 8 days in our Arctic Oven. Watching him grow into a man and learning how to be a better hunter in the process has been amazing. Hardest part has been trying to get him to go slower in the woods.
    One of his main hunting goals in life is to shoot a lion after stalking it on food, no bait. When he gets married I'll make sure my will requires him to complete the hunt before he can have the rest of the money. This way his wife can't tell him no

When he was 15-16, watching him explain to the old guys coming up from the lower 48 to fish the Russian River how to properly "flip". Priceless.
    Tennessee

Great stuff, guys and great thread.
    Gotta agree with you guys with the wife choice. I'm blessed with a great outdoors gal.

My son is also a heckuva great partner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Proud to be an American!

I've been blessed with far more great hunting partners than bad ones... though I am VERY picky... sometimes I think its easier to find a spouse than a hunting partner!!

For me, hunting with my #2 daughter (#2 of 4 daughters) was a hallmark moment for me... terrific hunter and great work ethic and attitude. For my buddies, my tried a true guys are Orhunter (mark) and my buddy Mike S. They are solid, great work ethic, non-complainers and fun to hang with. I got the opportunity to hunt this last year with ErikinAk from the forum. He is a great hunting partner as well... very knowledgable, good work ethic and easy to hang with...

I'm thinking I see a trend with all the threads so far in what makes hunting partner either great or bad... seems to come down to attitude and ethic... go figure :-)

I know about Good hunting partners, unfortunatly my best friend and hunting partner is no longer with us. We hunted together from Coldfoot to the Kenai. Even though we may not have been able to harvest every critters we were after we always returned home with the same smile we left with. A good hunting partner always knows what to say. Stuck in the mud, out of food, soaking wet, low on gas, darker than the inside of a cow and five miles to the truck. Comment (" Good thing the wives didnt come we would have to carry them back to the truck too"). We walked that five miles talking about what we should have the wives cook for us when we got home and how we should have had my Son and his Daughter come along to get that thing out of the mud. wjackson you are missed.ALOT.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast