Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 375 Ruger, what do you know?

Default 375 Ruger, what do you know?

I was the one who posted the question about the 300 WM being enough gun for Brown Bear. I got enough (not enough gun) to make me want to buy a new (enough gun). I was looking at all the major gun companies and being left handed cut me short on alot of guns, but I came up with this gun from Ruger. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye African in 375 Ruger, I plan on topping it with a Leupold 1.5-5x20 VXIII. I know that the 375 Ruger is a new round, I do reload so I was wanting to know how popular are these up there and what else do you know about them?
    http://www.ruger.com/products/m77Haw...ets/37133.html

Thanks Matt

Search is your friend... we've talked this one over a pile of times.

I've got the Alaskan- shoots great, kicks hard and is really handy with a 20" barrel.

I have the Hawkeye in the SS 338 Compact Magnum. Like I said before, I believe a 375 would become an expensive wall hanger in the future. The 338 Wm or the 9.3x62 would be a better choice for an all round rifle; AND ammo and components are more economical in these calibers as well. As was mentioned prior, recoil can be an issue with the 375 caliber. The rifle is well fitted for your purpose however.
    Both are adequate for your planned hunt as you will be backed up by a professional guide.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I have the left handed stainless .375 Ruger and love it. PM me if you want more info.

I have the .375 Ruger Alaskan SS with 20". I went with the VX III 3.5-10x40. Felt it fit the gun and Ruger rings best for me. Love it!! Black Bear, Bison, and 2 Moose dropped dead in their tracks on first shot. I've shot the 300 grain RNm but have only hunted with the 270 grain SP. No complaints. You can PM me if you'd like to know more about my experience with it.

I am left handed also... almost bought the rifle you describe last year. Went with a 35 whelen instead. Glad I did my son has the right handed model in 375 ruger... it just kicks to hard and burns to much powder for me to have any fun with it. That said saw my son shoot a grizzly with his... very reliable performance.

Used my 375 Ruger on both Brown and Blackie hunts, open sights and love it, price of ammo aint pretty but its doable..
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.

I have the Alaskan and so far it has been excellent. I reload for mine, it cuts down the per round cost nicely. I loaded Barnes tsx bullets in 235 and 270 grain and have been impressed how accurate it is. As far as recoil goes i would shoot the 375 over any 338 i have ever shot, the 375 definatly gives you a good shove but not the brutal snap of a 338.
    One thing i dont like about it is when you put it in a gun boot the scope is what holds the weight of the gun since the barrel is so short. I have not had my scope move at all but it is not the ideal situation for sure.

I am use to shooting heavy 45-70 rounds, 3 1/2" 12 ga. and slugs. I dont think it would be much more than that. I dont know if I would use it much after my trip or not but if I'm spending that much on a trip I might as well have what I need. I would like to have the Alaskin but they dont make it in a left hande version. I might send it out and have it cera-koted like i did my Guide Gun.

Matt

You can make a 300 win into a 375 ruger, or at least a gunsmith can. The parent case is the 375 HH and both can be used in a standard action. If you have a good action, trigger and stock, maybe you could just do a barrel swap and rechamber? Then it will be lefty and what you are used to. I was considering this with my spare 300 win, but I want the 375 ruger in stainless and my 300 win is blued. If I find a cheap ruger 300 win, 338 win or 7mm rem mag, I may still do it.

I have shot the 375 ruger. Good fun, accurate, reloads good. It kills stuff, I know for a fact. Looks like you are turning into the have more guns type of guy. Welcome to the club.

Matt,

I have the African and the Alaskan. The .375 Ruger is great. I probably wouldn't recommend it over an H&H if you don't reload, but you do. I'm shooting 300 grain Barnes TSX with RL 17 @ 2670fps from my African. I'm still working on the Alaskan, but I'm sure it will produce similar results. Recoil is very comparable to a H&H, but is slightly faster producing a little more of a jab. Certainly not a problem though. Don't waist your time with other powders. Use RL 17. The others will run into pressure signs before you reach published muzzle velocities. I did some customization to both rifles. I had trigger jobs, the actions bedded, and the African's recoil pad replaced with a decelerator pad. I would recommend doing similarly. My African shoots sub .5" groups. Not sure about the Alaskan yet. Good choice on the scope. Feel free to ask me if you have more questions. Good luck!

Brett

I have a 375 Ruger Alaskan and love it. I load for it ans use a 235 Barnes TSX with 79 grn of IMR4007 SSC. 02-19-10_1719.jpg The gun is accurate. I shot a PWS Black Bear at 300 yrds and dropped it in it's tracks. Not much drop even at 300 yrds.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    You can make a 300 win into a 375 ruger, or at least a gunsmith can. The parent case is the 375 HH and both can be used in a standard action.
    Incorrect, the parent case for the .375 Ruger (or for the 300 Win Mag for that matter) is NOT the .375 H&H. The Ruger 375 is beltless, shorter, and fatter.
    Tennessee

There is no parent case for the 375 ruger. It is a new case.
    As for the cost of shooting; even with purchasing off the shelf ammo it is no more expensive than shooting cheap 375 H&H ammo, and cheaper than shooting quality 375 H&H.
    I do not hand load at this time so I do not what is achievable out of the 20" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Torqued View Post
    There is no parent case for the 375 ruger. It is a new case.
    As for the cost of shooting; even with purchasing off the shelf ammo it is no more expensive than shooting cheap 375 H&H ammo, and cheaper than shooting quality 375 H&H.
    I do not hand load at this time so I do not what is achievable out of the 20" barrel.
    The original parent case for the 375 Ruger was the 64mm Brenneke case. It is shortened and blown out to be used in this application. This alows it to be used in a standard long action vs the required magnum length action for the 375 H&H.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I had a 375 Ruger built up from a remington 700. Like it a lot, took a moose with it this fall. Taking it to Kodiak in the spring.

Went with a 21 inch, why? Guess just in between the african and the alaskan. Had some feed issues until I went with a Wyatt magazine box, makes it the best feeding rifle I currently own, granted, not that many.

I'm loading the Hord. 300 DGX currently and RL15, no pressure signs to max, actually settled with a load under max, would like to try RL17 but can't find any published loads for it and the 375. Have some loaded up for my 300 to try but have not made it to the range yet. Anyone have info for the 375 and RL17?

I have a .375 Ruger and I love it. Shot a Black Bear and a Moose with it this last year with the 270 grain SPRP loads made by Hornady. Blackie rolled over dead, moose ran 15 yards and piled up. Awesome gun. Recoil is very manageable and it shoots nicely.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

oops, ya mispoke on that one. I think I really meant to say is the bolt face for the 375 ruger is the same for the 375 HH (and all of it's offspring cartridges). My understanding is that Hornady did this to make it easy to manufacture this round in all sorts of guns without changing much. Every manufacturer has a bolt face and action length that will fit the 375 ruger easily (300 win, 338 win, 7mm rem mag to name a few). The parent case is obviously not the 375 HH, no belt for starters. Thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by youngtrout View Post
    Anyone have info for the 375 and RL17?
    I haven't started on my Alaskan yet. My African I'm shooting 300 grain Barnes TSX with 80gr RL 17 @ 2670fps. With the shorter barrel I would expect you could get a few more grains out of it. That said I'd start bellow 80 and work your way up with due caution. I'd also look for Marshall's posts on RL 17 and the Alaskan on the reloading forum. He went into great detail about his loads.

Brett

I shoot an African model that I've had teflon coated by Lee at Black Ice Coatings and then I tucked it into a McMillan stock. The gun shoots fantastic! I use RL17 with a CCI250 primer and have good loads with 260 Accubonds and the Barnes 270 TSX. For the 260 load I use 84.0 grains of RL17 that cruises at 2900 fps, and the 270 load with 83.8 grains of RL17 gives me around 2840 fps. Both loads are smashers. The Hornady case life on this round is fantastic. I get the best down range accuracy with the Barnes. For some reason, the Accubonds shoot fantastic at 100 yards but they open up a bit at 200-300 yards. The TSX, on the other hand, shoots 3/4 - 1" groups at 200 yards, and 1-1 1/2" groups at 300 through the factory barrel. And the McMillan stock removes an amazing amount of recoil, not that it wasn't manageable before, but it really is to a point that it is pretty comfortable to sit it on a bench and fire a box of rounds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast