Thread: Fly Fishing near Anchorage!

Default Fly Fishing near Anchorage!

We are making our first trip to Alaska, this September. We are heading to the Kvichak for 7 days, but will have a day to fish around or near to Anchorage, on Sept. 2nd.
    What river, would be our best choice to try, at that time
    Any suggestions, would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill K. View Post
    We are making our first trip to Alaska, this September. We are heading to the Kvichak for 7 days, but will have a day to fish around or near to Anchorage, on Sept. 2nd.
    What river, would be our best choice to try, at that time
    Any suggestions, would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill
    How near? Need at least an hour and a half drive either way in my opinion to get into anything worth while. Might get lucky on something closer but would you really like to rely on luck?

We would be able to drive an hour & half to find fish.
    Where would our best chances be, north or south of Anchorage?

Bill

go to delong lake in anchorage, fun to fly fish trout there! its by tastey freeze incase you wanna get icecream after.
    Semper Fi!

If you can make the drive, head up the Parks highway. The trout and grayling feed like mad this time of year. Concentrate on the lower stretches of the streams. Some of them like willow creek, sheep creek, montana creek, and goose creek you can get to mouths of where they meet the Big Susitna river. Head there and use some beads and flesh and you should run into some decent fishing. Don't count out hiking up stream a ways to. Look for spawning silvers and possibly a few late chums or pinks and fish beads behind them.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Thanks, for the suggestions.
    Would it be worth hiring a guide, to fish one of the streams, north of Anchorage?
    Any suggestions, for a guide?

Bill

If you only have one day to fish it might not be a bad idea. Greatly reduces the learning curve. I know there are a bunch of guides on the little su and willow creek. I cannot, however, suggest one. I have never used a guide. Do a google search and see what you can find. Others here may be able to suggest someone also.

Dont need a guide. You can see the fish. Park at the bridge and start fishing up. Willow, Little Willow, Goose, pick one. Fish mottled beads behind the salmon and you will be just fine. Watch for bears. Save your money for the beers on the flight home!

Thanks, for the suggestions.
    Would it be worth hiring a guide, to fish one of the streams, north of Anchorage?
    Any suggestions, for a guide?

Bill
    Mike with susitna valley guides give him a call

those streams get tricky that late in the year, best to hire a guide if you have the funds... Stillwater fishing is pretty phenomenol in the fall as well, look at the regs for hints on lakes with big fish (they tend to be C&R) Pick up a cheapo float tube or rent a pack raft from AMH and go for it!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I agree with Franken fish. Willow Creek would be a great spot to try, it has some pretty nice bows.

Thanks, for the help.
    It looks like Willow Creek it is!
    How far is it from Anchorage---driving time?
    Will the stream be crowded with fishermen, or not too bad?

Bill

I saw a few people casting lines in The DOME last weekend, but didn't see any fish on.
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

i think its about an hour and a half

Thanks, for the help.
    It looks like Willow Creek it is!
    How far is it from Anchorage---driving time?
    Will the stream be crowded with fishermen, or not too bad?

Bill

Willow is about an hour north of Anchorage. It shouldn't be as crowded in Sept as most of the desirable salmon runs are pretty much over with. There might be some people chasing silvers and some trout fisherman, but nothing compared to king season.

crowds at willow suck as its so close to anchorage, I won't fish it on weekends... Too many freaking people... Thanks internet

Up here its not like the lower 48 willow has about 300 fish per mile and its one of the top trout streams around here. Not sure anyone in the lower 48 would consider fishing a creek with 300 fish per mile... it can be excellent at times, but one or two people through can really ruin your day.

I would really look into a guide... With so few fish per mile, covering a lot of water is key (like say in a boat).

Also look at lakes... I love fishing lakes in the fall, you can fish giant dries (dragonflies) and its relaxing with nice fall colors, and lakes don't really get any pressure. Plus you are going to the Kvichak... Willow is nothing compared to that...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks again, for the info everyone!
    Will look at a guide for the day.

Bill

Willow Creek bridge on the Parks Hwy is about the 72 mile marker. I "think" the 0 mm is at the intersection of 6th Ave & Gambel. Getting out of town & making 72 miles in an hour is FLYING. There is also at least 5 miles of 45 mph through Wasilla. Anybody who can make the trip in an hour is in the same catagory of those that drive Anchorage to Fairbanks in 4 hours.
    Drive time from Muldoon & the Parks to the bridge is 1 1/2 hours - give or take 10 minutes.

If fishing the Willow in September - on your own - you might want to start at the mouth & fish upstream. Make a left off the Parks onto the Willow Parkway & follow it to the campground at the end of the road.
    I too only fish it on weekdays & it will still see pressure.

I live in Eagle River and make it to Willow in and hour no problem without speeding. Even from Gamble on a Sept day won't take you long. Most of the salmon crowds gone and all you have to worry about is some die hard trout guys. You'll have good luck in Sept on the Parks hwy streams. Throw some beads and flesh and you'll catch all the trout and grayling you can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I would really look into a guide...(like say in a boat).

A case of beer and I am in for sure... Not even joking.
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Willow Creek bridge on the Parks Hwy is about the 72 mile marker. I "think" the 0 mm is at the intersection of 6th Ave & Gambel. Getting out of town & making 72 miles in an hour is FLYING. There is also at least 5 miles of 45 mph through Wasilla. Anybody who can make the trip in an hour is in the same catagory of those that drive Anchorage to Fairbanks in 4 hours.
    Drive time from Muldoon & the Parks to the bridge is 1 1/2 hours - give or take 10 minutes.

If fishing the Willow in September - on your own - you might want to start at the mouth & fish upstream. Make a left off the Parks onto the Willow Parkway & follow it to the campground at the end of the road.
    I too only fish it on weekdays & it will still see pressure.
    a consistant 6 or seven miles over the speed limit and hitting a light or two in wasilla would get ya there in a hour from 6th and gambel
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.