Thread: Advice for Alaska Marten Virgins

Default Advice for Alaska Marten Virgins

OK, here is the deal. My buddy, and I are looking into heading to AK next year for 4-6 weeks of trapping mink and Marten. You know us - middle aged guys from the lower 48,divorced, looking for something different. Both are former backcountry whitewater, and climbing guides with a huge amount of experience in the wilds. But, after so many years of grinding out the day-to-day would like to do something different. Both of us are trappers (CO/WY), and are not looking for "trapping advice", but location advice.

Alaska is one **** big state. In your opinions what area would you go to to set up for a month or so of trapping? You can be general, ie. Hanes, Prince of Wales Island, Tok.

Thanks

Can't do it. You have to be Alaska residents or non-resident military stationed here. Check out the regs http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...s/trapping.pdf pages 7-8.

Sorry.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Can't do it. You have to be Alaska residents or non-resident military stationed here. Check out the regs http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...s/trapping.pdf pages 7-8.

Sorry.
    Then why do they sell a nonresident license for $250? Page 8.

Sorry.
    I just read the regs, and I didn't see where they said non-residents couldn't trap. The only people I saw who can't trap are aliens who have not been lawfully admitted into the United States.

Sorry.
    Just goes to prove that you can't trust EVERYTHING you read on the internet.

AK IS a big state, but almost everything that is road accessable, will have a trap line on/thru it. Lots of remote areas are also trapped via snow machine, dog sled and plane. You've got a great idea, but it might take one season of prospecting, before even setting a trap.

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    Then why do they sell a nonresident license for $250? Page 8.
    Well, heck. My bad. I stopped on page 7 where they said proof of residence may be needed. Learned something today.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Gary thanks for the info. I figured it would be tight. Usually is on public ground - anywhere. We have been spending 2 3wk trips a season in S. Wyo running lines for them there. It was a tough first season 14 years ago. My buddy has just gone through a divorce and has been to AK several times fishing and grouse hunting, and enjoys the place. I was looking for a way to distract him for awhile. I wouldn't have a problem prospecting the first year.

I would think what you want to do is doable, but it will take some serious planning and a few bucks to get remote to where there is not a lot of pressure. It might be worth talking with a commercial trip planner, I think the owner of this site is one himself.

Another thing you might consider is, there are several remote lodges every year looking for caretakers. That might be an option for you. I have no idea where to look for these jobs though.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Another thing you might consider is, there are several remote lodges every year looking for caretakers. That might be an option for you. I have no idea where to look for these jobs though.
    If looking to get to an untrapped remote area holding good amounts of fur, the above just might be the best answer. Likely would require a somewhat lengthy committment though...

You can look at Alaska fish and game web site and find what area most of the animals are being trapped out of. I would really watch Alaska craigslist for remote cabins that people rent out. I saw one this last fall, the guy was a piolet and would fly some one into his remote cabin. The cabin had sleds, wheelers, gas ice auger for the lake the cabin it was on and already broken trail for a trap line. He was just asking $500 a month. I wanted to quit my job when I read it. He just wanted his cabin lived in over the winter so it didn't break down. great deal all around. You could always post an add on there as well. Good luck!

Getting remote would be key, but marten populations have been low across much of the state.

id say if your gonna get some marten your gonna have to go remote also...

to many guys hugging the road system.
    i cant blame them, my only marten line is a road line but its hard to find room

You really have enough money to come up here and outfit yourself for 4 to 6 weeks?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

i put in about three weeks thisyear on my line and won't even get into the money invested in such a venture.
    marten and mink...mink are spotty it seems. some places might hold more than others, but i've never seen it.
    marten seem to hang in more of the flat sprucy country of the interior, i know coastal they are in different habitat. but you need to cover ground for those things. a 5 mile line ain't gonna cut it if you plan on doing any skinning every night. so then your up to a snowmachine, then fuel...blah blah
    untrapped...good luck. i researched the area i went into as best i could and still got funny hatefull looks and emails from people because i was within 20 miles of an established line and posted pics on the internet. suprised my truck didn't catch fire while i was out.
    good plan, sounds fun, dont' blame yet. figure a shade shy of 10 grand and you'll be in!
    caretakin' is probably your best option.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Go to GALINA! then have a musher or bush pillot drop you offf for a month, and say, check on you half way through. be sure to get a hunting licence! there are lots of caribou up there!

Second what others have said about the lodge caretaking. That would take care of a huge chunk of the outfitting expenses right there.

Since you're boat experienced, I'd look at Southeast. That would allow for some deer hunting too.