Thread: Turkey Fryer Popcorn

Default Turkey Fryer Popcorn

Well, I figured I'd take a chance and try this out. Bought 6 lbs of cheap popcorn and broke out the turkey fryer and some old stinky last years oil. I put a 10 x 12 tarp under it and because I just imagined a garage ful of popcorn and I'd need a way to funnel it into many trash bags. Got about 1/2 gallon oil nice and hot, then dumped in 4 lbs of kernels. I sit back and heard the pops beginning. WOW. It's working.... Then it started smoking a little. So, I shook the pot and it started popping again. I was really dissapointed in the results. Next I put in a little bit of oil and about a pound of kernels. Better results but after popping the 6 lbs, I only got about 30 gallons of popcorn. I dumped a box of cherry jello mix and stirred it up good then bagged it ready for baiting season to get here. I doubt I'll try this again. Anyone out there have better results?

Rob

Default Sounds like a mess

I really like the 2 airpoppers at once over a trash bag or barrel but there was a good video on the popcorn thread of how to male it with a turkey fryer.
    How long do you reckon popped kernLs will keep for? I'm pretty bored just figured I'd be wasting if I started popping this early

I take my turkey frier to the site with me and pop my corn their. I use about a cup or two of oil aand let it get hot, put the corn in and shake as needed so it doesn't burn. It takes about 15-20 minutes to fill a 55 gal drum but let me tell ya, it sure smells the area up pretty good. If i'm just going in to sit and hunt I will take the corn in already popped to replenish and do a special formula burn to smell the place up.

I like the airpopper idea better. Less mess. I dont' believe the popcorn would go bad at all. Heck it's bear bait. I just bagged it up and threw it in the shed.

thats a heck of an idea. the sound of poping corn would be like a dinner bell.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..