Thread: Information trade: Atigun for Ribdon

Arrow Information trade: Atigun for Ribdon

Float hunted the Atigun the last two years and looking on moving north to a new river and the Ribdon is it. Looking to trade info on rivers. Not general info either "it has water" looking for GPS points, location of swift water (If any) and other information. PM or Email. cyberspano@gmail.com
    Yesterday I ran into an Old Girlfriend and I thought I missed her...
    So I backed up and hit her again, ya know sometimes I really do miss her!!

Probably could have squeaked 'er out this past August 2010 with well higher than mean flows. I'd add have several streams in the fly-out area as well as Atigun Gorge into Sag run by road for contingencies then go from there. Strategies can be a bit different than running the Atigun, yet you'll likely bring same gear selections up the road based on plan B or C or D.

You actually may encounter left over sheets of ice (Aufeis) that can last all year long blocking easily float-able flow. These are caused because of ever-changing conditions over winter with mixed/widespread overflow freezing layer after layer. Many don't consider that shallows and drags are often made worse and worse because a river-bed widens steadily to gain flow around the ice sheets.

spano, i can help you with info, but be advised:

The Ribdon is becoming more popular with the happy valley pilots dropping groups for camp hunts and some float groups. I can give you some gps points, but not on this forum.

Hunting is not always 100% for a week-long pursuit, and water levels are unpredictable. it'll be somewhat crowded, but not as much as the sag/atigun trip.

flat water but dragging is expected in spots. you know what the sag is like at high water.

larry

Thanks for the info Brian and Larry. Sooooo low to no water. Great. More hunters. Great.

Larry I shot you a post on your board about self bailers too, will chat with you over there.

LB may be correct seasonally with regards to more flight activity in the area... however, I'd not go as far as to say, "popular"... even the road accessible rivers up there will rarely if ever have float parties all stacked up. Most of these fly-outs (as related) provide good drop camping next to the drainage that trend funneling of game.

My realistic formula for off the beaten road is realizing the rewards of picking a more demanding path.

Yeah, The Atigun was certainly demanding..and paid in meat. But the ratio of gear lost to meat was almost a draw, but the lack of competition was a win.