Thread: Towing Endorsement Card

Default Towing Endorsement Card

Does anybody know what it takes to get one? W/ all the junk boats and novice operators out on the water these days I've been thinking it prudent to get one.
    Theres several reasons mainly to avoid liability when you're towing somebody. They can claim you did damage that was already there and you would be liable unless you could prove otherwise. I know of an incident where a guy hit a rock and snapped off his lower unit before being towed and he sued the person that was nice enough to rescue the idiot for towing him in the wrong direction and scraping what remained of his unit off. I'm pretty sure w/ an endorsement card you're exempt, not sure though
    Plus, though I'm not saying I would charge a person to tow them, but do to fuel and other circumstances I wouldn't rule out the option but I've heard w/ a towing endorsement you have that option....thoughts?

I'm pretty sure anyone can sue anybody for anything. I don't think an endorsement card would make much difference. If they're the type to sue, they're gonna sue. I don't much care for folks like that, but they're out there, always looking for a reason.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Hey - I think that you are talking about me and my dinghy! I am green on ocean runnin and I run an overloaded 1985 zodiac with a 86 40hp zuki on it. Novice with a junk boat....hmmm.

If I need a tow we can just deflate her and throw her on your deck then no worries about damaging my motor. Matter of fact - if my power quits on me, I may just unhook it and let Davy rebuild her! The old gal worries me sometimes, but I try to keep her greased and put on a new pump every year.

What is really cool is when the waves get pretty big (6 footers) if I go fast enough I can jump 2 or three of them at a time.... landings cannot be defined with usage of the word subtle if'n I got a full load on her though!

OOPS - - Back on track - so what do you have to do to get this towing enforcement card?

WAIT - wut am I thinkin' ? Who am I going to tow - REALLY ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    so what do you have to do to get this towing enforcement card?
    I'm not sure... its a CG thing I thought somebody might know
    <edit> I found out its an endorsement that you can get for your Capt license

Looks like it gives the card owner a legal right to charge for towing. I guess, technically, people who assist with a tow aren't allowed to charge for it? Most pepole I know, would willingly pay without hesitation. There's a question for you (sorry if this is a slight highjack), if a rescued boater willingly hands money to the rescuer, does that mean the rescuer charged for his service?
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    Looks like it gives the card owner a legal right to charge for towing. I guess, technically, people who assist with a tow aren't allowed to charge for it? Most pepole I know, would willingly pay without hesitation. There's a question for you (sorry if this is a slight highjack), if a rescued boater willingly hands money to the rescuer, does that mean the rescuer charged for his service?
    Is getting a tip from your buddies considered compensation for taking them fishing?????

Yes and yes. And you have to claim it on your income tax check to pay Mr. Obama :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Is getting a tip from your buddies considered compensation for taking them fishing?????
    Pretty sure this question has been chewed up, spit out, and chewed again LOL!! Still pretty much is the answer I figured. Until I see compensation police at the dock, I will readily receive due reimbursement.
    how to act in public

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    Pretty sure this question has been chewed up, spit out, and chewed again LOL!! Still pretty much is the answer I figured. Until I see compensation police at the dock, I will readily receive due reimbursement.
    My towing days are over after we rescued four young men stranded on shore near Betles Bay last spring. In a borrowed whaler, they hit a rock with such force it ripped the outboard from the transom. No radio, no flares, no survival gear so we felt obliged to tow them back to Whittier. So we lashed on to their busted boat, brought them on board, fed them hot coffee, and plodded back to port. Of course, we called the USCG as a CYA.

They didn't even bother to reimburse us for fuel despite promises and even though I gave them my phone number.

Lesson learned - don't tow anyone unless you know them AND you like them too. My towing karma is good and were done!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    WAIT - wut am I thinkin' ? Who am I going to tow - REALLY ?
    You can corner the market on kayakers with tired arms.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Since the OP is Fullbush, I won't feel bad for a slight off topic post.

Does anyone know who in Whittier does tows, and what they charge? I had heard that one or more of the charter companies will do this for an hourly fee, but I don't have specifics. It would be good to have their number on board, since I carry a sat phone and could call them out for people if they want a tow back in, or for that eventiual day comes that I need a tow. I don't personally feel qualified to tow someone's boat and worry about damage or liability unless it is a personal friend that I can trust.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Honey Charters (907) 278-2493 runs several sightseeing/kayak transport boats out of Whittier and has been known to pull boats back to Whittier if the are in the area. They would probably come out to get you if they didn't have their boats booked up. Usually you can get the CG to put out a mariners request for help and if you or your vessel is in danger the CG Aux will respond. Usually somone close by can at least get you to safe harbor and then arrange to get you back to port.

Fullbush, I got the Towing Endorsement on my license when I first tested, it was just another test, really an easy one to pass. Can't remember what the requirements were as far as any additional time on the water required or anything.
    But it was not hard to pass, the guys who ran the class I took, down in SanDiego, just asked, "do you want to test for the Towing Endorsement also?" Said Yes, passed it easily

So, you might call a Mariners Licensing school (maybe easier than USCG MSD for folks for knowing all that you need)
    I'd bet it's as easy as going down to the local testing facility when they are giving tests for licenses and taking a one page test.

There was some information you need to know about towing cable rigging, safety zones, etc., to pass the test, hence the reason for calling a school somewhere see what they can tell you,
    By the way, Towing vessels is not nearly as easy as it seems, lots can go Really Bad Wrong,
    for those out there who "Forget to slide the tower some compensation,... for their friendliness and additional risk"
    "Don't ask them, if you can help with fuel, etc. Just give them something or send something in the mail later, Be Cool and Don't Forget"

Good Luck,FB, (Charge 'em heavy, since you have your card now) well, unless they are cool folks,
    but I doubt it would release you of liability at all, might actually increase it,
    Y'kno, "Now that you are official, you better know what you are doing,......"

ps I've never charged for, or been charged by anyone for a tow, it's considered a courtesy, but "things, they are a changing these days, eh?"

Maybe we can hold that off by being friendly and cool to each other out there
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Honey Charters may be no more

Honey Charters may be no more. All there equipment is up for sale. Something about a retirement sale. So at least they won't be blocking the ramp anymore.

http://www.honeycharters.com/