Thread: FUC Hunt

Default FUC Hunt

The Fortymile Upland Caribou (FUC) Hunt opens along the Steese tomorrow. As we speak, a joint task force of Alaska Possum Cops, Fish & Wildlife folks, Canadian Mounties, and Doyon enforcers are driving those caribou as far from the road as possible. By the time day breaks tomorrow, the only caribou left within the same township as the Steese Highway will be old, sickly, downtrodden, or all three.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Seriously???

Yessir. Open for two days. Then they are going to "reassess" the harvest.

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...nce=local_news

Whhhhhew~!

Ya, The "Fortymile Upland Caribou" Hunt........Ok.........(I thought this was a thread both getting a divorce and starting over......~~LOL!!~~)

Fat Females, Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I'm gonna wade in here when I know I probably shouldn't but I never learn.
    I love hunting and wish there was enough game animals for everyone. There isn't. I know theres alot of debate about why the heards and various other animal populations are down. So, I just wanna ask what's the alternative to managing game?
    Chasing game off before an opener isn't new. The elk heard on Afognak is spilt up every year by helo just prior to the opening. Not sure if there's any other situations like that in the state. Anyone know of any similair cases?

I think the problem with the Fortymile herd is that it is considered "International." Apparently the US has signed some treaties that guarantee certain fish and critters will keep making their way betwixt the countries. King salmon on the Yukon is another example. If Joe Fisherman catches all of them in his nets, Joe Canuck won't get any upstream. Same for crows down south. The Mexicans have some holiday centered around the arrival of migratory crows, so folks in the US can't hunt them on certain days and during certain parts of the year. It's really turned out to be a good deal for Americans. Mexico gets all the crows it can celebrate, and the US gets all the kids its schools can hold. Good ol' NAFTA.

I'll let you know how this goes. I've never hunted caribou before. Should be interesting at least.

Left Fairbanks at 10:30 pm Wednesday night. Drove out Ste)ese Highway hoping to find caribou bedded peacefully and take one by moonlight. Found mountain to be an impenetrable mass of drifting snow and 30 mph winds. Drove past Twelve)mile only to find Eag)le closed. Turned around and found more drifts. Spent a cold night on top of the mountain. Woke up to deep snow. Waited and waited and waited and waited for the snow plow. Followed plow down mountain just in time to see every Alaskan with a snowmobile driving out across the hills. Having no snowmobile, saw no point in staying. Began driving home. Spotted lone caribou. Swell Ol' Buddy, SOB for short, ran over into the spruce trees and shot it. I don't think it's one for the picturesque hunting book, but at least it's something to eat. Maybe I was a little naive about this hunt, but I think we were fortunate to find a caribou by the road. Probably won't try it again unless I have something to get me some distance from Tom, Dick, Harry, Larry, Charlie and everyone else on the road.

It is what it is, meat in the freezer!

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Spotted lone caribou. Swell Ol' Buddy, SOB for short, ran over into the spruce trees and shot it. I don't think it's one for the picturesque hunting book, but at least it's something to eat. .
    Aww C'mon Skinny, give us a pic, that's the greatest story I've heard in a while.
    The display of patience, then the Careful Stalking, the excellent Rifle Work......

Hunting in Alaska, amongst the masses,or .... behind them, as they roar off away from the road,
    Outwitting the competitors,....
    I love it, but a hunt story no matter how concise, is not good enough w/o some pics ??,......

Congrats on Freezer Refill, anyway
    Actually, that story "is" good enough pic or no, Very Entertaining, Well Written
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    The display of patience, then the Careful Stalking, the excellent Rifle Work......
    You left out expert field dressing! That was my role in the hunt. Hopefully it earns me a backstrap.

bou_bou.jpg

My wife and I went up thursday....the weather was terrible. Eagle summit was impassable! pretty good amount of snow everywhere. I'm sure some people connected, but I'm sure it was tough with everything being socked in. We crusied around for a short period of time, before calling it a day. With a nice freezer full of fresh moose meat,there was no preassure to bag a caribou (if we connected,it was going to be distributed to some friends who have empty freezers). Nice day spent together anyway! Good number of people as always. Talked to a couple real nice guys...everyone looking to fill a freezer.....don't blame em for that! Great day spent with my loving wife.....can't beat that!

Wow, it must have been pretty cold. That guy's face is completely frosted over. On a brutal hunt like that, every animal is an accomplishment Glad you had a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by wykee5 View Post
    Wow, it must have been pretty cold. That guy's face is completely frosted over. On a brutal hunt like that, ..........
    Yeah, I agree, on that apparent brutal cold,
    (Hey Skinny, we can see your picture on your avatar by the way,....)

or maybe you were huffing and puffing from the Field Dress preparation ?? (cloud of icefog there ?)

I forgot to mention, now that I see that Excellent Picture,(thanks) another Fine aspect of this hunt,
    "The Wise choice of area/time of year, etc. for "Quick chilling of the meat"

Man you guys know what you are doing

Nice Job, Nice Animal, sounds like a great time, Gotta Love Alaska, in February
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thumbs up

I never can decide how anonymous to be on here. On one hand, I'm not doing anything illegal to get the Troopahs upset, so I should just be myself. On the other hand, I'm so good-looking that I'd really hate to go flaunting myself all over the net. As a side note, it's not me in the picture, which is another reason to blur the face. Some folks don't like their pictures being posted around for the world to see.

Can you really see my face in my avatar, or are you just imagining how you think a young, handsome, brilliant writer like myself might look if you were to see me in real life?

btw Thanks for all the compliments... as you can see, it really built up my self-esteem.
    Last edited by SkinnyD; 02-11-2011 at 15:55. Reason: forgot...

Actually no I could not recognize much from that pic if I saw you on the street,... I shouldn't give you a hard time on that I guess, as it is definitely true, the internet can get wierd.

Havin some fun, givin ya a hard time, besides I knew it wasn't you, Not Skinny Enough

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman1979 View Post
    The elk heard on Afognak is spilt up every year by helo just prior to the opening. Not sure if there's any other situations like that in the state. Anyone know of any similair cases?
    Yah, that really worked out for them back in the 80's or 90's when they ran that herd off the cliff. What was it, 30 or 40 head fell 1,000 feet to their death?
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett