Thread: Moose meat question

Default Moose meat question

I left a partial frozen moose steak out overnight is it safe or should i just toss the steak and beg my friend for another piece.

how warm did it get? if it was still cold or partially frozen in the morning I would say its good. Any bacteria that grew should get cooked off if you cook it right.

The steak was room temp

Another question would be whether it was left out (exposed) or still packaged. If it was still packaged and just allowed to warm up, it would still be protected from most possible contamination and would likely be just fine over that time frame.

If it was still partially frozen when you went to bed, it likely was not at room temperature for very long. I'll frequenly leave steaks out (packaged) on the counter all day at home and they will still be mostly frozen that evening, but thawed enough to start the marinade process for the next day's dinner.

If you are still not sure you can cook it and eat a bite then wait for about 5-10 minutes and take another bite. if it is bad you probably won't even get the second bite into your mouth.

just eat it. geesh.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    just eat it. geesh.
    ditto......

If it smells good eat it. If it smells bad you can probably still eat it, but won't enjoy it as much!

feed it first to your wife! If she'll eat it, you'll eat it faster. Actually, moose meat has no preservatives, but it should be safe if it smells okay and has no surface slime or yuk. cook it well done and you should be good to go.

If I remember right the danger zone for bacteria formation is 40 to 140 degrees. If you cook the meat to 165 degrees it will kill any bacteria that did form. In food preparation the product should not be in the danger zone for more than 4 hours.

Actually, some bacteria causes meat spoilage, others cause food poisoning. Cooking to 160 degrees doesn't always kill poisoning bacteria.

However, the 'danger zone' for common spoilage bacteria (mesophiles) is about 55 degrees F to 90 degrees. Bacteria that thrives between 90-140 degrees are known as thermophiles; But, "extremophiles" thrive in zubzero temps (psychrophiles) and strains also exist in temperatures well above 300 degreesF (thermophiles).

Probably TMI, but thought some input might be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by cheerios12 View Post
    I left a partial frozen moose steak out overnight is it safe or should i just toss the steak and beg my friend for another piece.
    what would you do if that had been beef instead of moose...????? the answers the same either way..../John

I've heard it said that the English used to hang their meat on a post until it dropped off on its own... they then ate it. I've hung meat long periods. I think you're OK unless it really stinks, and even then some cultures say it's good, even preferable. Just pray over it and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I've heard it said that the English used to hang their meat on a post until it dropped off on its own... they then ate it. I've hung meat long periods. I think you're OK unless it really stinks, and even then some cultures say it's good, even preferable. Just pray over it and enjoy.

always a wise policy!
    happy trails.
    jh

It's probably completely ruined. Send it to my mailing address in a styrofoam cooler with some dry ice, via express mail, and I'll test it for you....

Well, did you eat it? Still alive out there?

Wait!! What's this? A styrofoam package on my porch? Cool!!!