Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Bucket list of a Ram

Default A Bucket list of a Ram

Thought I would share my sheep with fellow forum member this was the sheep that I killed in 09. I just got it back from the taxidermist Skips in Salcha. He is an old timer been a taxidermist im guessing for 30 plus years one of the best in the buisiness and a hell of a nice guy to boot. You wont leave his shop without a sheep tale or two.I live my life hunting like I may never do it again and I most say this sheep meant more to me than any other animal I have ever had the opportunity to harvest. I consider sheep the pinnacle of hunting for many reasons but most is the mountains where the live and the sheer beauty on such an endevor.While sheep hunting you rarely encounter other human beings and your usually miles from any form of civilization to speak of just u and the mountains something pretty special about that.My good friend Steve put it really well when said well you got something now to look at to get you motivated for the upcoming season and defintelly does that.He is not the biggest sheep but he is a dandy in my book he measured 39 inches on the unbroomed side he was my first and hopefully not the last none the less he was #1 on the bucket list very thankful for the great state I call home Alaska.

Big 27
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Very nice!

beautiful ram! Sure has some character!

Way to go man. Thats a fine piece of taxidermy.

Very nice looking mount. That is something every Alaskan hunter would like on his wall. I am envious.

Quote Originally Posted by gutleap View Post
    Very nice looking mount. That is something every Alaskan hunter would like on his wall. I am envious.
    X2 Awesome ram! Mount turned out very nice.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Really nice mount, beautiful sheep. Congrats.

Yep, I agree, that is some nice Taxi work on a Very Nice Ram

and you oughta be right proud of that harvest, hoping you get another
    is there a link to an AOD story of your hunt ?

Something about the pose of that mount, really cool,
    kinda like he's reaching out with his senses to "see what's up down there"
    I like it
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Great ram. Congrats and go get another one! Skip's specialty by far has to be sheep. His works is awesome.

Beauty of a sheep. Congrats on a great looking ram indeed.

Beauty all around IMO: Nice ram, nice mount and nice hunt!
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Skip does nice work. My taxidermist and he were partners for many years and the mounts they produce have an attention to detail and reality that most others are missing.

I love the broomed on one side/flaired on the other look. I would far rather take a ram with unique character than one that scores higher. What a cool ram there...definitely something to be pleased with.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Skip does nice work. My taxidermist and he were partners for many years and the mounts they produce have an attention to detail and reality that most others are missing.
    The three "originals" (Marty, Skip and Frank) set and have maintained a quality for mounting sheep that was and IS unequalled.
    Joe

Very nice trophy. Congratulations.

Very nice ram with a real world pose. I like the heavily broomed right side. I can just see him working at it until it gave him an unblocked view.
    What was your rifle setup?

Default ram

It was a hill country rifle custom in 257 weatherby mag 115 gr barnes tax.I spotted him laying there chewing his cudd he was perched on a ledge outcropping overlooking the valley floor just like in a picture. I low crawled to 402 yds and I got busted he got up and trotted off. I thought it was I've but then at 457 yds he stopped and turn back broadside that's when I got my opportunity. Thanks for all the kind words guys.
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

That is one dandy ram and the mount is first class as well, Congrat's!

Wow that is a really nice looking ram. Congrats and a really nice shot at 457 yards. That is on my bucket list although not as lucky as you to LIVE in Alaska. Since that was #1 on your list, what is #2? Thanks for the pics and the story.

Nice trophy and nice shooting,thanks for sharing .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast