Thread: Valdez May-August

Default Valdez May-August

Hey guys, I just picked up a nice boat up here in FBX. I want to do more fishing out of Valdez. Any good suggestions for May, and June? I have some idea for July fishing and of course August as well. Maybe even September. I would hate to go out and not have a clue what would be good to fish for those times, as well as bring some friends along and have them not catch any either.

I have minor ocean experience with my wooly. But now i want to hit Galena bay and such, even Busby the first few times out to get used to the boat and traveling around that area. Maybe camp out overnight in sawmill or some other protected anchorage.

Thanks!

Paladin I live in FBKs and hit Valdez every year. A few firends of mine and I (a redneck yacht club) take our boats down between the 15th and 20th of May. A couple of the guys get transient slips and put their boats in and keep them in all summer. I have found a nice storage place that costs $1 a day so my boat is stored out of the water. I've found that buying gas up here and taking it down in drums or a tank in the back of my truck is much cheaper. We pull up alongside the boat and pump fuel to the boats tanks then moved a few gas cans/drums to the boat if we're going way out.
    Here is the charts that are for Valdez area. I printed these off in several pages and keep paper copies in a binder just in case.
    http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/16700.shtml

Jacks bay is nice and so is Galena bay. They are good runs and you can make it in an hour or so (depending on your boats speed) and we've anchored up and camped in both those bays.
    Drop me an PM and I'll give you my number. That way this spring we can set up a weekend and take both our boats out and show you around to some nice places. It's always fun to take a couple boats and snoop around. It may be 2-3 boats but definitely a nice safe way to learn the sound.
    How big is your boat and how much fuel does it hold? It makes it easier to plan trips knowing how far and what type water it can handle.

Tealer:

I live in Whitehorse, Yukon, wanna take a Cdn on a trip, I am a east coast canadian redneck , would pay my fair share of any costs

cheers

verdun

Hey Tealer,

Dropped ya a PM. I'd love to hear some more. My boat is a 26 foot cabin cruiser, it has a 100 gal tank with a 260hp merc I/O. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to handle just about any place I feel comfortable at this stage.

Give me a buzz!

Cool,

PM Sent. Same size boat and fuel cap as mine.

Once relatives from the lower 48 hear you have an ocean boat you end up with a house or boat full of relatives. I'll be entertaining various in-laws this summer so will make several trips to Valdez this summer. I'm hoping this summer is great weather and good fishing. Hmmm.... maybe if it isn't I won't have as many in-laws coming up next year.

Maps are great, you can see a lot at once, and plot the chart the old way, but I hope Ya'll (Tealer and DarkPaladin) have a gps and a sounder (or combo) on your boats so you know WHERE you are on the map! The GPS will show you shallow water, most of the rocks etc. while you are underway. Great that you guys (in case Ya'll don't make sense ) are willing to buddy up and share, have a great time! Be really nice to the Valdez Harbor folks, and they will treat you well! Start out eatin' at the Totem Inn, Mike's Palace and the Fu Kung (if you like Chinese) and go from there, Valdez is a great town! Sure a lot easier to fuel at the fuel dock when you come in each time, I know it's a little more expensive, but no spills, and maybe not that much more than all the hassle and danger of hauling gas and trying to fuel the boat with gravity! PM me if you have any more questions, glad to share all except my secret fishing spots...which are outside where you will be going
    Last edited by Cap'n Ron; 02-11-2011 at 17:05. Reason: YDWTK

We both have chart plotters. I have radar as well. Last year I had the GPS reciever fail on my chart plotter while heading back from Knowles Head. The weather was iffy so I had the radar running. We pulled out the binder with the charts and verified location using radar returns then used charts compass and of course the radar to verify the shore contour. It worked well but was afew challenging hours running especially through Tatitlek narrows.
    Last season our little redneck yacht club sure found that going out in 2 or 3 boats works nice. If one of us have a problem we team up to help. We tie up and anchor for dinner and spending the night then go fish different areas for the day then meet up again at a set time and location for dinner and fishing lies.... I'll try and call out dinner and anchor locations this season. Maybe we can get a few more story tellers rafted up. You may hear us on the radio (Equilibrium, Shadrack, Mc Goo, Reload) are a few of us.
    Agreed Cap N Ron. The Totem has great biscuits and gravy. I like the town. If I could find a job that pays what mine does I'd live there in a minute. When we have in-laws visiting we'll stay a few days in the RV park and let them do the tourist thing and leave some $$$ in the local economy.
    One reason I take my own fuel is I get to Valdez late on Thursday nights. (leave FBKS after work and drive down) I fuel up and launch late in the evening (no crowd and no waiting) then run to Galena, anchor up, and sleep the rest of the night. Something calming about sleeping in on a Friday morning on yur own boat. Ahhh so peaceful. It's 30 below this morning and now I'm dreaming about sleeping in the boat on a nice quiet morning. 3 more months 3 more months.

Sounds like you got a great system worked out, Tealer. I'll listen for you out there this summer, we answer to "Muckle"...