Thread: High pressure 45 colt loads.

Default High pressure 45 colt loads.

Hey everyone, I was wandering if anyone had any suggestion on some good reloading bullets for hunting grizzly bear? They would have to be a harder lead and it would be in 45 colt.

Blackhawk,

There are always Cast Performance bullets, some high quality Hard Cast wide meplat bullets, gas-checked in various heavy weights. But, and I know there will be some varying opinions on this, I personally don't think I would use a 45 Colt as a primary grizzly bear "hunting" load. There is not a large difference between a heavy 45 Colt load and a heavy .44 mag load. Yes, I know it is a slightly larger diameter bullet and you can push it hard, but it still isn't the best way to go for hunting big bear. If you keep it to under 50 yards and have someone with a medium to large caliber rifle for back-up, you could make do. I'd take a .454 Casull over the 45 Colt any time. IMHO.

Talking

[QUOTE=mauserboy;887229]Blackhawk,

There are always Cast Performance bullets, some high quality Hard Cast wide meplat bullets, gas-checked in various heavy weights. But, and I know there will be some varying opinions on this, I personally don't think I would use a 45 Colt as a primary grizzly bear "hunting" load. There is not a large difference between a heavy 45 Colt load and a heavy .44 mag load. Yes, I know it is a slightly larger diameter bullet and you can push it hard, but it still isn't the best way to go for hunting big bear. If you keep it to under 50 yards and have someone with a medium to large caliber rifle for back-up, you could make do. I'd take a .454 Casull over the 45 Colt any time. IMHO.[/QUOTE

I should have clarified what I meant by "Hunting Bears" the pistol would be my "back up" I do all my hunting with a rifle. I just want another gun just in case something goes wrong. Thank you for the info.

Laser Cast or Cast Performance(see MB's post) will be what your looking for. You can find them at Boondocks in ER, or GNG in Anchorage.
    Find a heavy 300-335gr bullet, load it up behind a stout dose of unique, and practice before carrying them.(also, use modern brass)

You can load that BH .45 to .454 levels, so I wouldn't see any need to go get a .454. If you find the Ruger/TC .45 colt loads in your manual aren't potent enough for you, then consider a .454 or .500. Good luck, hope this helps a bit.

there is a guy in Homer I think. Look up Ranger Rick. He has lots of good bullets for this type of work and he seems to be a real nice guy to boot. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Laser Cast or Cast Performance(see MB's post) will be what your looking for. You can find them at Boondocks in ER, or GNG in Anchorage.
    Find a heavy 300-335gr bullet, load it up behind a stout dose of unique, and practice before carrying them.(also, use modern brass)

You can load that BH .45 to .454 levels, so I wouldn't see any need to go get a .454. If you find the Ruger/TC .45 colt loads in your manual aren't potent enough for you, then consider a .454 or .500. Good luck, hope this helps a bit.
    Yep it helps alot.... Do you know if they sell them in Sportsmans?

Here's some information on the subject you may find helpful.

http://www.customsixguns.com/writing...g_the_myth.htm

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings.htm
    Now what ?

One curse of using a .45 or .454 on bears appears to be the lack of bullets with higher sectional densities that is needed for good penetration. Most avaliable.452 bullets aren't any heavier than .44 bullets i.e. 300 - 320 gr. I found an inexpensive 310 gr. Lee mold for my .429 but nothing similar appears to be around for the .452.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Take a trip to Arctic Ammo/Matsu Tactical in Wasilla. They carry Stoner Hardcast bullets. (A local bullet maker whose always at the gun shows) I have used his 330 gr. LBT style bullets in both my Ruger Bisley .45 Colt and my S&W .460 with good results from both. Just be sure you pay close attention to seating depth with the Colt.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    You can load that BH .45 to .454 levels, so I wouldn't see any need to go get a .454.
    Uh, I wouldn't try that 454 goes to 65,000psi and has a longer case thatís more than double what the Ruger Blackhawk 45 is rated for. Ruger only 45 loads match 44mag with less pressure than 44 and thatís the safe limit of what a Blackhawk will do. If you try to match 454 performance from the shorter 45 case your pressure will be even higher than 454 pressures . . . not advisable!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    One curse of using a .45 or .454 on bears appears to be the lack of bullets with higher sectional densities that is needed for good penetration. Most avaliable.452 bullets aren't any heavier than .44 bullets i.e. 300 - 320 gr. I found an inexpensive 310 gr. Lee mold for my .429 but nothing similar appears to be around for the .452.

You are correct in one way, I can't find the molds off the rack ether. However there are .452 bullets available all the way to 600g though, way beyond 320g. But if you want to cast your own heavy 395g or 405g you need a custom mold, I plan to have one made off one of the CP 395g bullets I like so well. Don't know how well they would do in a Blackhawk with the OAL but this 360g or this 335g should do very well in a BH 45.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Another good place to get heavy .45/.454 lead bullets.
    http://beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    .452 is that the 45 colt round?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk .44 View Post
    .452 is that the 45 colt round?
    Yes, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 460 S&W mag.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Steve at brooksmoulds.com will custom build a very nice mould to your specifications. He even makes (but does not advertise) 4 holers and maybe 6 holers if you ask him.

Most of the .45 colts will shoot a .452 pretty well. You should shove a round ball through your bore and cylinders and measure closely to see what you really have on your particular pistol.

I use brooksmoulds.com in a .45LC that throws them at .4525 if i recall correctly. I push them through a lubersizer. I have recently moved so don't have my garage even close to workable right now but if you want I have several hundred 330 grain mixed with pure lead and lino that are pretty hard (I do not have a hardness tester). If you want to come over and lubersize some up in about 6 weeks I will have everything organized to make up some bullets and load them. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

I have a redhawk and I don't shoot enough to get used to the heavy loads. I shot some BB 360's out of it (for 34$ for 20 rounds no less) and I really just didn't like to shoot them. The box claimed something like 1350- 1400 fps I think. I load my "bear" loads around 1250 - I just got a chrony for xmas that my FIL won at a BPRC shoot so I will be able to dial the loads in this winter/spring.

Default Custom bullet molds for .45 LC etc.

A couple of outfits that will make a custom mold for a .45 LC ( or about anything else) are:

www.mountainmolds.com/ , and http://www.accuratemolds.com/

These guys look good and their prices are reasonable although I haven't usd either of them. Probably get some feedback on the cast bullets site as to how good they are.

I may swage down some 350 and 400 gr. .457 cast bullets just to see how they work in my .460 before I order a mold.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    You are correct in one way, I can't find the molds off the rack ether. However there are .452 bullets available all the way to 600g though, way beyond 320g. But if you want to cast your own heavy 395g or 405g you need a custom mold, I plan to have one made off one of the CP 395g bullets I like so well. Don't know how well they would do in a Blackhawk with the OAL but this 360g or this 335g should do very well in a BH 45.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I have always shied away from trying to make a cartridge into something it was never meant to be, the "magnumizing syndrome." Yes, you can safely up the ante on the venerable old 45 Colt into the .44 mag range, but pushing it beyond that is fiddling with fire in my opinion. The good thing is that with a large diameter heavy projectile, you don't need to push the velocity to get good penetration. The 360/370 gr. wide flatnose bullets as by Beartooth or Cast Performance bullets run out at 1200-1250 fps with punch through just about anything within reasonable ranges for a pistol. A good balance is always better than over the top in my book. Use less powder and treat your firearm a little less abusively. Just as an aside, I believe the Blackhawk Ruger in 45 Colt is about 15 to 20% "weaker" than the same gun in .44 mag, but the Ruger single actions are tough guns with a wide safety margin. Just ask Mr. Linebaugh.

The Lee 45/300 casts about 318grs in ww and should shoot through anything in AK at 1200 fps. The mold is cheap, $25/$30. NOE ( Night Owl Enterprises ) makes very nice custom molds for about $80/$90 for a 2 cav. I would not load 454 type pressures in a 45Colt case as I would be afraid they might somehow, someday end up shot in a 45Colt gun. 454 pressure is about 20,000 lb higher than even the Black Hawk is made for. Keep the 45Colt loads within reason and it will be plenty effective with most cast bullets at 300+ gr.

Hold on a minute here....Blackhawk.44. Maybe I missed it but what kind of a gun is your 45 Colt? Is it a Ruger?

With the 45 Colt, it needs to be loaded for the gun. NOT "magnamized". The 454 Casull is the "magnamized" 45 Colt. The cylinders in Blackhawk 45 Colts are 85% as strong the 44mags in the same guns. According to Hodgdon published load data, a 360gr Cast Performance boolit loaded to max load data (21gr H110) is 28000 psi and is 1200 fps. It is in my 7.5 in SBH, 1150 in my Redhawk. 300gr 44 mag at 1200 is over 40,000. So, the 45 Colt in the same gun is sort of a "de-magnamized" 44 mag but shoots a bigger heavier bullet.

Then there are 5 shot revolver 45 Colt loads which are closer to 50,000 psi. These are reserved for the custom 5 shot guns or the Ruger Redhawk.

If you have a Ruger just get some 350-360gr boolits, use Hodgdon Ruger Only published load data. Load em to where you want with in specs. 1200fps will be max and plenty.

Yup, Blackhawk in 45 Colt is limited to around 28Kpsi because of the cylinder, the cylinder is the weak link on a Blackhawk not the frame. The 44 and 45 cylinders are the same diameter but the larger diameter of the 45 chamber weakens the cylinder significantly from the 44mag. So why do they build 5 shot cylinders? Because the placement of the locking notch on a 6 shot liens up with the chambers weakling the walls but make 5 chambers and the notch falls between the chambers. Then while they are making the new 5 shot cylinder they leave the size a tad bigger so it just fits in the frame opening thus making the chambers thicker.

Now Redhawk is another story, they are stronger than Blackhawk. Redhawk cylinders are bigger diameter also longer than Blackhawk. Then the locking notch of a Redhawk is offset so it doesnít fall in the center of the chamber but just to the side in thicker marital. I believe these differences are why Ruger built 454 in their double actions but not their single actions.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona