Thread: Two hook drift fishing rig

Default Two hook drift fishing rig

Some have suggested something like a 12-16oz leadhead on the bottom and a herring or fly a few feet up the mainline off a 3-way swivel. Here's my question. Sounds very effective - you're sorta covering 2 bases at once - but is getting 2 fish at once ever a problem ? I wonder if you have a nice fish on one hook all that zipping around might bring in another one and stress all the tackle. A 20# halibut on the jig and then a 10# coho hits it on the way up seems like something would have to give.

People only ask such theoretical questions when it's the middle of winter. :-)

I`ve never had a problem with the double hook-ups...that`s what the reels drag is for. I run a leadhead with a J hook or smaller jig about 16"s up...while the actual double hookup is rare it can happen. Personally I`ve never picked up two different species at the same time. DO it and have fun.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

caught a big yelloweye and a 35 lb halibut at the same time on a two hook bait rig = FUN! Also caught a 100 lb halibut in the mouth and tail at the same time on a two hook rig, the hooks spanned about 4 ft so it felt pretty weird and awfully heavy...and didn't feel any lighter when the mouth hook pulled loose and I fought him by the tail...this in a 14 ft boat! So, it was fun and multi species or double hookups on the same fish are possible!

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Awesome pic doc. Thanks.

My buddy fishes a double hook rig. Has caught two halibut at a time on more than one ocasion. I have seen him with tangles and snarls because if it as well. For me i will stick with the single rig

I used to run a 2' length of 300# mono with a 4/0 swivel with a 10/0 on 80# to which I'd put a grub, hoochie or small gulp bait, and then the other end had a 4/0 corkscrew swivel to which I'd put a jig. I don't recall ever getting a double, but the 10/0 hook did take quite a few rockfish and a silver salmon.

I haven't used that rig for years, for two reasons. Many of my jigs now sport two hooks, so I'd be illegal with the third hook. The other reason is I had a well founded fear that I'd grab the 300# leader to get a halibut or lingcod on board, and it would sound driving that 10/0 hook through my hand. I fortunately never had that happen, but IMHO the risk of it happening is too great to offset the few extra fish you might catch. Fish a productive area and a single jig will take all the fish you could want. Fish a non productive area and that second hook won't improve the catch rate.