Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New ADF&G Website

Default New ADF&G Website

The ADF&G Website has completely changed. Everything is all different. Not sure I like it yet. I have to figure out where everything is all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    The ADF&G Website has completely changed. Everything is all different. Not sure I like it yet. I have to figure out where everything is all over again.
    I've heard a lot of things asked of F&G that they didn't have money to do, but they've got money for this? I don't get it; what was wrong with their last web site?

I just took a look and although I only spent about 10 minutes jumping around, I like it. I always thought the old site was archaic and cumbersome. However, I know what you are saying Bushwhack... Lots of nice shops out there but in my old shop I know exactly where everything is at and I like it that way.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    I just took a look and although I only spent about 10 minutes jumping around, I like it. I always thought the old site was archaic and cumbersome. However, I know what you are saying Bushwhack... Lots of nice shops out there but in my old shop I know exactly where everything is at and I like it that way.
    Yeah, it looks nice and all. One thing that bothers me is I can't seem to find the harvest statistics. I remember they used to compile an annual harvest summary. I thought those were very helpful. Then they stopped making those. Now I can't even figure out how to search the harvest data. Has anybody figured it out yet? If so, I would love to know.

Well, this puts me in the 1000 post group cause I decided to leave the Global thread. I spent over 30 minutes today looking for the BOF public responses that are posted online, and when I finally found them I had to bookmark it out of fear of not finding it again. Forget about the search box, all you get there is PDF. files. I hate it and already sent in my thoughts to the webmaster. For a guy that already has problems finding stats and charts, this will drive me to drink. Oh wait, I already drink!! OK... have to find another vice.
    Last edited by thewhop2000; 02-08-2011 at 21:22. Reason: fat fingers
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Just looking at it at a glance its MUCH better laid out than the old site, easier to navigate. Just hope this upgrade helps keep the website crashing as well.

Looks pretty easy to navigate to me. All the stuff that 90% of the people go there for is right on the first page.

I see they are still sticking with the Feb 25th..

I was on there today and it looks good ... I see you can even get Harvest Tickets on line now.

Default harvest stats

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Yeah, it looks nice and all. One thing that bothers me is I can't seem to find the harvest statistics.
    Start here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...unting.species
    Then click on your species of interest, then on "Harvest Statistics"

Yes, its not a bad new site; I agree with that. I just question whether that is where OUR money should have been spent, vs. spending it afield.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post

Yes, its not a bad new site; I agree with that. I just question whether that is where OUR money should have been spent, vs. spending it afield.
    If it turns out to function better and is easier for people to find what they are looking for, it will end up taking less of the ADF&G's time adn resources to answer all the questions that come in through e-mail and phone calls. If the new site does more than the previous one and is more efficient, then it is probably money worth spending, allowing for future funds to go to other needs.

Yeah I haven't heard many complaints about the old site, except the web server it was on went down far too often. You don't have to build a new site to achieve better/stronger web hosting, and thus more uptime.

Thanks for the news on this. I haven't spent more than 45 seconds digging through it yet, but my initial reaction is positive. Their old site was difficult to navigate for those new to it. I learned my way around over time, but it wasn't intuitive. One thing that I immediately like about the new site is that hunting and trapping links are prominently displayed near the top center of the links. You used to have to know where to dig to find that information even though it is central to Fish and Game's functions. Looks like a good change to me, but time will tell as I find myself needing information.

Yeah I haven't heard many complaints about the old site, except the web server it was on went down far too often. You don't have to build a new site to achieve better/stronger web hosting, and thus more uptime.
    That depends... you'd have to know a lot more about why it was going down.

You'd also have to know a lot more about why there was a rewrite. There may have been issues with unsupported versioning that forced their hand. There may have been changes to licensing structures which could actually save money by doing this. Or it could just be the boss didn't like it. Without knowing much about their underlying architecture I can't say much.

It does concern me that they stuck with writing it in ColdFusion.
    It also concerns me that you can still "back door" access the old site.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    It also concerns me that you can still "back door" access the old site.
    Maybe that's a temporary fallback point for them in case newsite doesn't work out. That'd be smart. But it would also be easy to hide it a little better while newsite is spreading its wings.

Maybe that's a temporary fallback point for them in case newsite doesn't work out. That'd be smart. But it would also be easy to hide it a little better while newsite is spreading its wings.
    Nope, its a mistake. I found it without looking and you will too if you click around a while.
    I submitted an email to the webmaster. Won't go into the details.

I think that revamping their web site is a business initiative. Just like commercials they encourage others to come enjoy AK.

It seems like it isn't so much a new site as it is a new dashboard. I like it, I have been playing with it for about 20 minutes and it is much more logical. A lot of the links point to pages with the "old" formatting. The old system definitely had stability problems but more than anything it had awful organization.

Thanks for the link Family Man, but it is not the same harvest statistics that they used to have. They used to give all sorts of data like drainage usage, residency vs. non-residency success rate, average antler or horn size, mode of transportation etc. Now, the only thing the statistics give you is number of animals killed by unit. Pretty general. Not very helpful in my opinion.

I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    That's it. That is what I was looking for Sollybug. But this is from the old website. I wonder if fish and game is eventually going to make this site disappear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast